Oldies.com has huge Fantasy CD sale-Blowout-Exceptional Deals!

srb

Re: Oldies.com has huge Fantasy CD sale-Blowout-Exceptional Deals!
« Reply #20 on: 14 Sep 2009, 06:55 am »
http://www.oldies.com/product-view/16818M.html
Diana Krall's dad....

Her dad was a piano player and he taught her early piano. She later studied with Jimmy Rowles and sang with him, but I'm missing the connection to this Ray Brown/Jimmy Rowles album.  What's the reference to her dad?

Steve

ZLS

« Reply #21 on: 14 Sep 2009, 12:53 pm »
    A hidden Gem in the sale is on page page 31; Luckey & The Lion Harlem Piano. 
    This CD features two of the foremost practitioners of the "Harlem Stride Piano" style of playing.  The are the old time "Piano Perfessors" who played at the "House Parties" and didn't need any back up instruments.  They could make the Piano sound like a full orchestra, and could make a crowd get up and dance. 
    It is just a lot of fun to listen to, and is very historically significant. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #22 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:01 pm »
Good to see you back, Zack (ZLS).
« Last Edit: 14 Sep 2009, 03:30 pm by jimdgoulding »

Quiet Earth

« Reply #23 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:00 am »
It'll be nice to have a new pile of cds to enjoy as we head into the autumn season. Now I have 18 on the way, plus a couple of detour cds from flea bay. (Oops, I got side tracked...  :o)

Thank you guys for the heads up!  :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #24 on: 15 Sep 2009, 07:34 pm »
Thanks for the heads up jazzcourier! :thumb: This is a good opportunity to bulk up on your jazz collection. I just ordered 16.

-Roy

ZLS

« Reply #25 on: 15 Sep 2009, 09:53 pm »
    Gentleman,

I called up Oldies.com to see why they haven't pulled the money out of my account yet and was told that they are absolutely swamped.  In the guy's own words, "Nobody is ordering one or two, everybody is ordering forty or fifty!" 

On another note, a great CD is the Count Basie Trio For the Second Time.  This CD combines great sound with great music.  Count Basie on Piano and Ray Brown on Bass.  You want to check out how your system handles rhythm and timing; this is the CD to do it. 

jazzcourier

« Reply #26 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:20 am »
I'm sure that Stacy Rowles (a fine trumpet player in her own right) would be very surprised to find out she has a sister--this in reference to the comment posted before i.e. Diana Krall's dad. PLEASE NOTE.....Some of these titles and some others not on the OLDIES.COM sale are also being slung by Daedalus Books via their website...they are,in most cases a buck more and no free shipping,in fact shipping is a whopping 5.95 as far as i can figure.BUT...There are some tasty titles.............Oh yeah,if you have not heard those Ray Brown/Jimmy Rowles duets-the double disc on Concord,it is sublime!

jazzcourier

« Reply #27 on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:48 am »
So it appears Ms. Krall did study with Jimmy Rowles in L.A. in the early mid 1980's.I knew Jimmy and know Stacy and may have met the young Diana but have no recollection.My Favorite Jimmy Rowles story was when he was on tour with Charlie Parker in 1954.One night in Portland Bird showed up WITHOUT his shoes-Jimmy gave Bird his shoes and played in his socks...Jimmy said "I woulda played in the shoebox's for Bird" And when he quit Peggy Lee he said"You got your last note outta me,baby" I have a tape of this interview probably decomposing  somewhere in a box.Stacy said her dad Jimmy once took a Led Zep record off the turntable and went out and threw it into the street.He was quite a guy!

ZLS

« Reply #28 on: 16 Sep 2009, 02:57 am »
    Jimmy Rowles had an encyclopedic knowledge of music and taught many great songs that had been forgotten to the different Musicians he played with,  A great CD is Zoot Sims with Jimmy Rowles If I'm Lucky. 
    Jimmy Rowles deserves the highest compliment you can pay any musician; He elevated any performance that he played in. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #29 on: 19 Sep 2009, 03:53 am »
I received one of my two orders today....24 of 28 arrived (4 back ordered).

Pretty quick service....nice !!! 8) :beer:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #30 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:09 pm »
Not bad for $129.47 shipped. :thumb:
Some are SACD, high rez, double albums and one 3 cd box set.
Like I said this is a excellent opportunity to bulk up your jazz collection. In addition there are many vintage blues albums available. End of Summer sale, so not many days remain.

After Hours by Thad Jones (CD)
   All Across the City [SACD Hybrid] by Jim Hall (CD)
   Alternate Blues (with Clark Terry, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzy Gillespie & Oscar Peterson) by
   At the Renaissance by Ben Webster (CD)
   Farmer's Market by Art Farmer Quintet (CD)
   The Hawk Flies High [20-Bit K2 Super Encoding] by Coleman Hawkins (CD)
   In San Francisco (20-Bit K2 Super Encoding) by Cannonball Adderley (CD)
   Keystone Bop, Volume 2: Friday / Saturday (Live) by Freddie Hubbard (CD)
   Libra / Another Earth by Gary Bartz (CD)
   Perfect Peterson: Best of The Pablo And Telarc Recordings (2-CD) by Oscar Peterson (CD)
   Soul Call by Kenny Burrell (CD)
        Traneing In (20-Bit K2 Super Coding) by John Coltrane / Red Garland Trio (CD)
        Wes Montgomery Trio (20bit K2 Super Coding) by Wes Montgomery (CD)
   Winter Moon (20-Bit K2 Super Encoding) by Art Pepper (CD)
    Stitt's Bits: BeBop Recordings 1949-1952 (3-CD Box Set) by Sonny Stitt (CD Box Set)
        At the Black Hawk, Volume 2 (Live)  by Shelly Manne (CD)
   At the Black Hawk, Volume 5 (Live) by Shelly Manne (CD)
   Caravan by Art Blakey / The Jazz Messengers (CD)
   Conflict (Featuring Elvin Jones) by The Jimmy Woods Sextet (CD)
        Early Quintets by Phil Woods (CD)
   For the Second Time (With Louis Bellson & Ray Brown) by Count Basie (CD)
   In Russia (2-CD) by Oscar Peterson (CD)
   Seven Come Eleven [SACD Hybrid] by Herb Ellis (CD)
   Super Bass 2 by Ray Brown Trio (CD)

--Roy
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2009, 02:51 am by rajacat »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #31 on: 20 Sep 2009, 06:32 pm »
I ordered these last week

From Oldies.com

TKA 89132    Bashovia by Robbie Basho (CD)
   $4.98
   $4.98
TKA 89162    The Best of John Fahey, Volume 2 1964-1983 by John Fahey (CD)
   $4.98
   $4.98
DRE 36626    Gypsy Project by Bireli Lagrene (CD)
   $14.68
   $14.68
FAN 10065    Hooray For Bix! by Marty Grosz & Destiny's Tots (CD)
   $5.98
   $5.98
MIS 470992    Songs For You by Ron Carter (CD)
   $5.98
   $5.98

Anyone know these guitarists (and Ron Carter) ?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #32 on: 21 Sep 2009, 12:33 am »
jqp...

Yes...some good choices....all different styles... 8)

My fav of your picks.... Bireli Lagrene...here playing in the Django tradition on that Cd... :wink:

And Ron Carter...one of the most recorded bassist of all time...your pick is good...there are better ones (check out "Dear Miles")... :wink:

mjosef

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2009, 05:22 am »
I got email confirmation that my two orders are in the mail...yippie, should be here sometime this week.
I still got about 35+ in my "purchase later" list.

chosenhandle

« Reply #34 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:34 pm »
thank you for the heads-up. It really is an outstanding offer. I ordered 12

jazzcourier

« Reply #35 on: 22 Sep 2009, 05:21 pm »
My order was placed the day i started this thread,the 10th.I got an order shipping confirmation on the 17th and today my order is in Billings,Montana.Looks as if this order is going by burro,stopping at every class "A" baseball park 'tween the east and So Cal. Not complaining....file this under "you get what you don't pay for" Free shipping!
I am now glad when they said "free shipping" they didn't mean via the Panama canal.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #36 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:22 pm »
I placed my order on the 11th and I received all 15 selections yesterday the 21st.:thumb:

srb

« Reply #37 on: 22 Sep 2009, 06:28 pm »
I behaved quite responsibly and only bought 7 jazz CDs @ $4.98 each!  Thanks for the heads-up jazzcourier.

Steve

Just thought I'd further explain.  I recently was laid off from my computer IT position, so that's what I meant by "behaved quite responsibly".  Otherwise it would have probably been 50+!

Steve

Scottdazzle

« Reply #38 on: 23 Sep 2009, 02:21 pm »
My order arrived in full (20) ten days after I placed the order. Not bad.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #39 on: 23 Sep 2009, 06:16 pm »
jqp...

Yes...some good choices....all different styles... 8)

My fav of your picks.... Bireli Lagrene...here playing in the Django tradition on that Cd... :wink:

And Ron Carter...one of the most recorded bassist of all time...your pick is good...there are better ones (check out "Dear Miles")... :wink:

Yeah, LaGrene is a guitar hero of mine in the gypsy jazz style...

John Fahey is an 'interesting' character. His career began in the late 50's before the folk movement and he is credited with the solo fingerstyle guitarist movement in America (i.e. after the more obscure solo guitarists (to us today) from the early part of the century even before 78's were the recording medium) He learned from 78's growing up in Maryland after seeing old-time country and bluegrass shows with his family, and moved to LA/Berkely, California in the 60's. He started Takoma records and influenced/mentored Leo Kottke, Robbie Basho (one of the CDs I bought), Peter Lang...

As you may suspect I am kind of a student of acoustic guitar :) - John Fahey was a real one, he wrote his UCLA master's thesis on Charley Patton...

Amazingly, "he and fellow collectors finally tracked down and brought back to prominence great musicians like Bukka White, Mississippi John Hurt and Skip James."  http://www.myspace.com/johnfahey

Robbie Basho is another interesting story...
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2009, 12:18 am by jqp »