Danny... sound comparisons of the OB designs 200 hz up

nvrgdenuf

HI Danny,
specifically what I am looking for is something tangible in comparing the different OB designs like your V1, V2 and say the OB portion of the OB5,7.
I am just having trouble finding a speaker that satisfies me. Maybe just me. It seems every boxed speaker I hear sounds, well........... boxed.
 I have had the Hawthorne 15 and 10 inches and CS2 clones. I liked the BIG sound of the 15 but maybe the 900-1k x-over is just too high for that 15. The 10 lacked something.
I want instruments to sound accurate and voices to be true. It doesn't seem like to much to ask does it? A Grand Piano shouldn't sound like a scaled down version! I dont want the double bass to sound like a Viola!
Been considering trying the Paudio's you are using, but with my Alpha 15a's. (at least to start).
Are you finding the PAudio to give an accurate reproduction?
Any input would be a help,
thanks
andy

I am going to add that I "mix" on a Yamaha M7CL 48 channel digital mixer at a very large church, and I hear live band 3 times a week. This may have affected my perception because I can add or take out whatever I want on the fly. We try to run a peak db of about 95 at the rear of the venue. Not quiet.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: Danny... sound comparisons of the OB designs 200 hz up
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2009, 08:02 pm »
Nyrgdenuf,

I will look forward to Danny's response to this one too.  However, there is a poster who has Orions and a pair of loaned V1's or 2's who will be sharing his thoughts soon.  Keep an eye out for those comments.

OBTW, @ 95 db peaks at the rear of the venue  :nono:, I hope you have purchased a good set of hearing protection ...as you are aware, once lost, you never can gain hearing back.

Lou

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2009, 11:12 pm »
Orion and V2, that's me, I'm still waiting on the V2 to get here, soon I hope, very soon, as I have a few people who want to come by to hear them.

grubyhalo

« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2009, 09:19 am »
I'm going to bookmark this topic (as soon as I figure how to...).

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2009, 01:56 am »
The V-1 AND V-2 are a lot of fun but very different from the OB-5 and OB-7.

On a scale of accuracy the OB-5 and OB-7 have a smoother response. The planar magnetic tweeter is also a little faster in the spectral decay area giving it a slight edge in being clean across the top end.

The V-1 has mucher higher sensitivity though and can reproduce the sound of just about anything to realistic levels with ease. Bass response is second to no speaker. It is flat to 20Hz and as good as good can get. The frequency response is +/-2 to +/-2.5db from end to end. So fairly smooth and accurate.

The V-2 also has fairly high sensitivity and while it does not have servo controlled subs, they are open baffle and quite good. These would be similar to your CS2 clones. The 15's might go a touch lower, but not quite as clean or fast as the smaller 12's in the V-2.

I have measured the Hawthorne Silver Iris 10's but not the 15's. The response is on the rough side with some pretty good sized peaks and dips. I suspect the same from the 15's.

If at all possible, make a point to listen to the V-1's. They are my personal favorite.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2009, 02:49 am »
I can't wait to hear them at RMAF.  It looks like a really cool design.

ttan98

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2009, 04:15 pm »

The V-2 also has fairly high sensitivity and while it does not have servo controlled subs, they are open baffle and quite good. These would be similar to your CS2 clones. The 15's might go a touch lower, but not quite as clean or fast as the smaller 12's in the V-2.

I have measured the Hawthorne Silver Iris 10's but not the 15's. The response is on the rough side with some pretty good sized peaks and dips. I suspect the same from the 15's.

How do you compare Eminence 12" with Hawthorn 10" woofers, which one is better in terms of bass reproduction, without the equalization you did to the bass amp driver? any other impressions? cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2009, 11:16 pm »
How do you compare Eminence 12" with Hawthorn 10" woofers, which one is better in terms of bass reproduction, without the equalization you did to the bass amp driver? any other impressions? cheers

I have not heard the 10" Hawthorne Auggies.

Milehighguy

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2009, 12:42 am »
OK, if the OB5/7 high end is best, and the V-1 bass is best, how about making a new speaker with the mid/highs of the OB5/7 and the woofer section of the V-1? (Maybe also throw in an extra woofer on each side just for kicks?-or kick drums).
Call it the "Veneo" (or "Venneo"?) as in venue /neo. Or VN for short. Like VN-1, VN-2, etc.

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:09 am »
Actually, I designed that speaker last year. It was called the Super 7.

I built out the prototype, measured it, tested it, perfected it. I even had a custom version of the tweeter made that was designed to be used with an open back.

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Super7cabinet.pdf

The tweeters hole really needed to be CNC cut so that it was to the shape of the diaphragm and had a wave guide type flare on the back side of it to maintain a smooth response on the back side.

The lower section was going to be stacked laminations and the dual servo subs turned sideways to keep the baffle narrow.

The problem was that the cabinet was way to complex for the average hobbyist. A CNC machine was a must, and I just could not get anyone to come through with completed cabinets for it.

I intended to take it to last years RMAF but my cabinet guy never came through.

I also would have had to order 1000 of those custom tweeters to get them made... So the whole project was put on hold.

Great speaker though. Really Great!

Maybe one of these days...

I am not so sure the V-1 doesn't surpass it in most areas though. The V-1 is just a freakin blast and does everything really well.

Milehighguy

« Reply #10 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:38 am »
Wow, that looks very cool! It also answers the question of what was the mystery speaker that didn't turn up at the last show. I thought maybe the mystery speaker was an ob version of the ls-9 with 6 ob 12" subs.
I'm certainly looking forward to hearing and seeing the V-1 at this year's show, but I can't imagine it would make me give up my LS-9's.
(but never say never...)

jr1414

« Reply #11 on: 10 Sep 2009, 03:44 am »
What happened to the test speaker. I really, really like the super 7 concept.

JMD

« Reply #12 on: 10 Sep 2009, 12:53 pm »
Actually, I designed that speaker last year. It was called the Super 7.

I built out the prototype, measured it, tested it, perfected it. I even had a custom version of the tweeter made that was designed to be used with an open back.

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Super7cabinet.pdf

The tweeters hole really needed to be CNC cut so that it was to the shape of the diaphragm and had a wave guide type flare on the back side of it to maintain a smooth response on the back side.

The lower section was going to be stacked laminations and the dual servo subs turned sideways to keep the baffle narrow.

The problem was that the cabinet was way to complex for the average hobbyist. A CNC machine was a must, and I just could not get anyone to come through with completed cabinets for it.

I intended to take it to last years RMAF but my cabinet guy never came through.

I also would have had to order 1000 of those custom tweeters to get them made... So the whole project was put on hold.

Great speaker though. Really Great!

Maybe one of these days...

I am not so sure the V-1 doesn't surpass it in most areas though. The V-1 is just a freakin blast and does everything really well.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 10 Sep 2009, 02:04 pm »
What happened to the test speaker. I really, really like the super 7 concept.

I removed the upper section and dropped another baffle on it with the P-Audio driver to design the V-1.

dlipter

« Reply #14 on: 15 Sep 2009, 12:29 am »
Could someone point me to the V1......

I don't see it listed at GR-Research.

Thanks

Oh....I see it on another thread....still not being on the site makes it a tad confusing!