A day at the race track...Photos from a ten year old

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
The family and I went to Gateway International Raceway during a driver training day this past Saturday to meet a fellow ACer for the first time. Of course, the camera came along. I was planning on taking a few photographs, but my ten year old son took my Nikon D40 away from me and wouldn't give it back.
All of the settings are on "auto". The lens is a DX Nikkor AF-S 55-200 1:4-5:6G ED.
Out of almost 200 photographs he shot, here are a few. All were handheld with no monopod.

One of the drivers, Tom, saw my son drooling over his car with the camera in hand furiously snapping away taking pictures. He asked my son if he'd like to sit in the car so Dad (that'd be me) could take a picture.
Granted, the car was under a roof in the paddock, and it was very bright outside, which is why the background is a whiteout.
I (apparently) need lessons on how to center an image in the viewfinder.  :roll: :oops: :duh:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
Re: A day at the race track...Photos from a ten year old
« Reply #1 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:04 pm »
Oh...by the way, it was my son's request that I'd put these up for all "my audio dudes" to view.
Please keep that in mind when you critique.
But he would think it's pretty cool if there was lots of feedback.  :wink:

Thanks guys,
Bob

richidoo

« Reply #2 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:17 pm »
Awesome shots! What is that car in pic 5? Not caterham?

My 11yo and 9yo boys will be jealous to see your son sitting in that race car!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:23 pm »
Rich, I'm not sure what kind of car that is. I was wondering the same thing. I didn't get a chance to talk to the driver.
You should show this to your kids......  :icon_twisted: :lol:

Thanks for the complements!
Bob

bunnyma357

« Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:27 pm »
Awesome shots! What is that car in pic 5? Not caterham?

My 11yo and 9yo boys will be jealous to see your son sitting in that race car!

Probably a Caterham, but definitely some variation of a Lotus 7, Interesting to see one on the track with the clamshell fenders, usually you see the cycle fenders.

Great shots - looks like it was a great day.

Jim C

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:38 pm »

One of the drivers, Tom, saw my son drooling over his car with the camera in hand furiously snapping away taking pictures. He asked my son if he'd like to sit in the car so Dad (that'd be me) could take a picture.
Granted, the car was under a roof in the paddock, and it was very bright outside, which is why the background is a whiteout.
I (apparently) need lessons on how to center an image in the viewfinder.  :roll: :oops: :duh:

No you don't.  That green strip down the front adds depth and interest to the shot.  As far as the white background, that is what I'd want.  If all the other crap in the background were visible then it'd be distracting.  As it is your eye is drawn right to your son peering over the wheel.  Well done!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2009, 07:43 pm »
Thanks Mr. Brick.  :wink:
I was complaining about not having the car centered in the image. Notice the rear wing that's WAY off center? that's what I was referring to. I got the tow hooks (on the front) centered, but the rear wing is way off.
Good point about the background being a washout. I wasn't thinking of it in that terms.

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2009, 09:53 pm »
Now we know who the real photographer is in your family. I would just leave it to him  :wink:

funkmonkey

« Reply #8 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:27 am »
 :thumb: Great shots kid...  your pretty lucky to be growing up in the time of digital photography.  My Dad and I used to go to car shows, and races, and I would only get one or two rolls of film to shoot (somewhere around 40 shots).  Keep up the good work...  Those are some very cool pictures that you made. :D  Thanks for letting your dad share them with us "audio dudes"

Cheers,
Greg

ltr317

« Reply #9 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:17 am »
Nice photos, son of Bob in St Louis!  You could have a future career in photography!!! 

That car in pic 5 sure looks like a Caterham.  They make road and track models, and that one looks like one of the track versions.   

Paul

p.s. Speaking of tracks, I was crewing for my friend in formula vee a couple of weekends ago in the pouring rain. 

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:17 am »
Nice photo's !!! Your son did a nice job Bob !!! :beer:

The family and I went to Gateway International Raceway during a driver training day this past Saturday to meet a fellow ACer for the first time.

So....who'd you meet Bob ???

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:28 am »
Hey!

Nice, he seems to handle the camera straight and follow the action pretty well. :D

Now if you don't feel like taking picture you could hand the camera to your son :lol:

Good job kid. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:40 am »
Great pics Little Dude!!!  :thumb:

200 pictures and we get to see seven of them?

Explain to Dear Old Dad that there are others you want to post and let us see 'em!!! :wink:

Thanks for sharing, Bob & Son,  :D
Jerry

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:49 am »
Thanks Mr. Brick.  :wink:
I was complaining about not having the car centered in the image. Notice the rear wing that's WAY off center? that's what I was referring to. I got the tow hooks (on the front) centered, but the rear wing is way off.
Good point about the background being a washout. I wasn't thinking of it in that terms.

Bob

Nope.  I don't see the wing at all because the image carries the eye up to the canopy, like a big fish eye with a kid in it, and the interest terminates right there.  If the viewer's eye carries out through the back of the photo the the shooter has failed to "capture" the center point of the photo.  Even after you pointed it out it barely registers on me.

My .02 worth, Bro.

TOB

acwd1950

« Reply #14 on: 1 Sep 2009, 11:57 am »
Bob,
I agree with thunderbrick, your sons face just pops right out at you. Theres not alot of other clutter in the pic to distract you. As for the whiteout background thats pretty cool. Its a great picture as all of the others. For being 10 years old hes great with the camera, almost all of the cars are centered in the pics, moving or standing still. I have seen some pics by pros that arent that good. Great job little guy!

Steve

P.S. I like the Shelby Mustang the best!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #15 on: 1 Sep 2009, 12:36 pm »
This audiodude digs the pics 8)

Your Dad's not as much as a dweeb as he seems, btw :lol:

John :wink:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2009, 01:24 pm »
I think all (of us) photographers are slightly insecure*, so we look for what we think we did wrong in each shot, rather than the success.  It is often up to the neutral viewer to point out the strengths of our work and make us realize that we did accomplish something magical.

* Then again, some of us are just friggin' nuts.     :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:26 pm »
So....who'd you meet Bob ???
It was our very Mr. Brick, no less.  aa

Thanks for all the complements fellas. Good to hear, very good to hear indeed.
The boy hasn't seen your comments yet, when he gets home from school today he'll read them all.

Jerry, I chose those seven as they're the cream of the crop. I'll peruse through the folder and see if I can grab a couple more good ones.

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #18 on: 1 Sep 2009, 03:50 pm »
My two boys would love to go to something like that.  For some reason they are really into cars especially the 9yo.  They spot cars and try to guess the year.  They play all the car/driving games on that game site you cursed my family with a while back.   :wink:
We don't have many exotic cars in our neck of the woods but there is a smokin' black Lotus that usually generates a cell call from the 9yo when seen on the street.  His phone is filled with shots of cars he sees around town or at local shows.

and BTW, your kid's face what the first thing I noticed when I saw the shot of the green car.

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #19 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:12 pm »
MaxCast, what's your geographic location?  There are a lot of sports car clubs, (BMW, Porsche, Audi, Viper, SCCA*) that hold club races and performance driving schools.  As far as I know all are  free and open to the public, and people can wander anywhere but on the track.  At lunchtime some clubs have "charity laps" where any licensed driver can drive the track at moderate speeds.  Passengers allowed.  My experience is that all such events are very open and supportive of anyone interested, including kids.

Seen on a racetrack bathroom stall:  "SCCA = Spoiled Children Crash Automobiles"   :lol: