Amp for Magnepan MMG?

bikes and beats

Amp for Magnepan MMG?
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:22 pm »
Hey all,
I'm looking for a nice sounding amp to pair w/ my MMG's.
Currently, I have a DIY Hypex amp that while powerful, can be a bit strident.
I'm using a mid-level Rotel Pre and often listen to computer files through my Apple Airport Express.
The price should be commensurate with the level of this system, i.e. < $1000, ideally ~$500
Any ideas?

Rashiki

Re: Amp for Magnepan MMG?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:08 pm »
I'm driving my MMGs with an Emotiva RPA-1 and I feel that it's a great combination. The RPA-1 has been discontinued, but the XPA-2 looks to be equivalent and only $699: http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm

-Rob

JeffBrown

« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:50 pm »
While I second nomination for the Emotiva, unfortunatly the RPA1 is out of production.  Leaving the XPA-2 at 699, or the UPA-2 at 299.  There is an option in the middle though.  They used to sell something called the BPA-1.  It was a small 75 watt stereo amp bridgeable to 150 watt.  It is available today from Parts Express under the Dayton APA150 moniker.  Parts Express has it for $158 with free ground shipping.  ($316 for a pair of 150 watt monos)

So in this case the recomendations go exactly in order of price.  For the ultra cool ultra cheap 125 watts per side stereo amp, the UPA-2 is pretty awesome.  For a bit more kick, and a cool mono design the Dayton APA150, great buy at $316 per pair.  For that extra "oomph" kick up the price and the power to the 75 pound beast that is the XPA-2.  That upgrade doesn't just get you more power, but nicer parts and power supply then the UPA or Dayton options listed. 

:Shameless Plug Alert!!!:
If a touch of refinement is what you want kick the price up to $1100 and get my Blue Circle BC24!

What ever you pick, I hope it brings you years of happiness!

Jeff Brown

bikes and beats

« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2009, 03:28 pm »
Thanks, guys!
Anyone ou there heard a Rotel digital amp offering?
Looks like I can get one second hand for around 500.00...

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2009, 04:54 pm »
Thanks, guys!

If you say in your first post.....
"Currently, I have a DIY Hypex amp that while powerful, can be a bit strident.".....would you still be looking for another "digital" amp ? :scratch:

You might just want to try a tube amp.... :wink:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2009, 05:11 pm »
A tube amp woould be a nice match for the MMGs.  If you go ss, then look at the Odyssey Khartago.  Rotel used amps are sometimes a great bargain, but I'd steer clear of digital switching amps.  All their shortcomings (dry, two-dimensional sound) would be magnified with Magnepans.

Jeff Ward

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2009, 05:42 pm »
I was really happy with my Van Alstine Insight 250, but now I'm even happier with a Van Alstine FET Valve 550 EXR.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2009, 11:31 am »
Thanks, guys!

If you say in your first post.....
"Currently, I have a DIY Hypex amp that while powerful, can be a bit strident.".....would you still be looking for another "digital" amp ? :scratch:

Digital amps are not all alike any more than tubed amps are all like.  The better digitals are sublime...and not just the expensive ones. 8)

Rashiki

« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2009, 12:32 am »
A tube amp woould be a nice match for the MMGs.  If you go ss, then look at the Odyssey Khartago.  Rotel used amps are sometimes a great bargain, but I'd steer clear of digital switching amps.  All their shortcomings (dry, two-dimensional sound) would be magnified with Magnepans.

My MMGs do well with 200+ watts of class A/B solid-state. I've tried them with a 30 watt tube amp and felt they weren't being driven hard enough. If I were to go tube with them, how much power should I be looking for?

-Rob

Berndt

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2009, 02:04 am »
Maggies love big SS amps.
If I was on the cheap I'd look for a threshold on ebay.
I've also seen pass x-250's go for just over 1k as well.
It seems like the cost of speaker to amp $$$ gets skewed with maggies, vs. other speaker designs but maggies will reveal the limitations of amplifiers that can't deliver the juice.
The hypex might be happier with a nice 6sn7 preamp.
Is there anyone in your local that can lend you some gear?
Perhaps there is a regional circle representing your local?

ken

« Reply #10 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:27 pm »
I've heard maggies driven with the Pass 250 and it's a great combination. If  you can find one used for around a grand it's a no brainer  :duh:  If you do decide to go the tube route consider something in the 100 wpc per channel range.  After you find a good amp and when funds allow do get your Maggies "Gunned"  you won't regret it.  :thumb:

http://www.indiespinzone.com/magnestand.html

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2009, 04:31 pm »
My MMGs do well with 200+ watts of class A/B solid-state. I've tried them with a 30 watt tube amp and felt they weren't being driven hard enough. If I were to go tube with them, how much power should I be looking for?

-Rob

Depends on the tube amp(s), Rob :)

Those same exact Maggies :wink: you have there were best driven by my 50 watt Dukane tube mono's.  The Dukies are very high voltage for tube amps I've been informed, however.

They bested (to me, of course) a pair of fully tricked out Odyssey Khartago mono's (150 watts of stiff SS brute power a side).

My issue as you know was space in my room to make the Maggies sing...but, 50 watt tube amps were sufficient to drive them.

John

Brown

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm »
 Audio Research amps have always had a wonderful synergy with Maggies. Back in the day Maggies were voiced using AR gear. A older AR Classic sixty [ $1200] would fill the bill very nicely. Another gem from the past is the SS Classe DR250 [ $900 or CJ SS amp with a tubed pre.
   Maggies sing with tubes, unfortunately not many tube amps have power to drive the larger panels from the 3As to 3.6s.  Now MMGs can get away with less power say 60 watts with tubes.
  If your a Rocker go SS, if your a Jazz, classical type go tubes. My take with 30 years experience with Maggies. Still own those 3As [ system 2] using a AR DR 250 [ $3300] servo Mk2 Have fun trying.

bikes and beats

« Reply #13 on: 4 Sep 2009, 03:06 pm »
So it may be best to try and tame my amp with a tube pre... Any suggestions for ~ 500$?
Should I roll my own from a kit?
Oh, and can I biamp the MMG's or is the second set just for tweeter attenuation?
Thanks!

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #14 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:00 am »
So it may be best to try and tame my amp with a tube pre... Any suggestions for ~ 500$?
Oh, and can I biamp the MMG's or is the second set just for tweeter attenuation?
Thanks!

John Broskie's Aikido PCBs: http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html
Bottlehead Foreplay III: http://www.bottlehead.com
Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid: http://www.transcendentsound.com/preampkit.htm

srb

« Reply #15 on: 19 Sep 2009, 04:46 am »
I'm using a mid-level Rotel Pre and often listen to computer files through my Apple Airport Express.

Do you have other sources besides the Airport Express?  If so, do they also exhibit stridency?  You don't mention having an external DAC, so I assume you are feeding the analog output of the Airport Express into your Rotel preamp?  Also, when you say "computer files" are you referring to lossless (.wav or apple lossless) or compressed mp3/mp4 files?

Although the Airport Express analog output sounds just fine for casual listening, I don't think its inexpensive internal DAC is as good of quality as the rest of your reproductive chain.  That and/or if you are playing compressed files, may to some degree, explain the stridency you hear?

Steve

weirdo

« Reply #16 on: 29 Sep 2009, 01:58 am »
Had MMG's in a total budget set-up. best amp/pre was a used Adcom 555a and rather cheap but not embarrasing Audio Source pre.  Both E-bay at less than 400 total. Look to manage base with the pre-amp because if you don't have a sub, you will be wanting one eventually with MMG's.

Next favorite amp was a vintage Scott 45 watt tube integrated. Ran a tad hot since I was pushing the amp but man was it sweet with jazz and blues.  I would also consider a Cambridge Audio ss integrated also if one fits into your budget. Whatever you do, keep the speakers! cheers.

Brown

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2009, 06:55 pm »
Thanks!

A great combo would also be an Audible Illusions 3A with a Bryston 4B. The older CJ SS amps work well too. Yes you cab Bi-amp but IMO as a long time Maggie owner. USE THE SAME AMPS TOP AND BOTTOM. No impedance mismatches, No issues. have fun.

bdiament

• Industry Participant
    • Soundkeeper Recordings
« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2009, 05:57 pm »
Hi bikes and beats,

Hey all,
I'm looking for a nice sounding amp to pair w/ my MMG's.
The price should be commensurate with the level of this system, i.e. < $1000, ideally ~$500
Any ideas?

A number of folks I know who have MMGs (or even other Maggies) have found the Outlaw 2200s ($700/pair) to make for a wonderful combination. 
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

They'll deliver 300 wpc into the Maggies' 4 ohm load and take good control of the speaker.  I'm using a pair in my studio with my 3.6s.

Best regards,
Barry
www.soundkeeperrecordings.com
www.barrydiamentaudio.com

MalibuDave

« Reply #19 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:00 am »
I've been using a Parasound HCA 2200ii and a Parasound HALO A23 for my SMGa's (similar I think to the MMG's).

They both sound great.

If you can find a used HCA 2200ii it puts out 385 watts per side into 4 ohms.  Its a high-current, very stable amp that I have had NO problems with since I bought it new in 1994.

Cheers!