Amp for Magnepan MMG?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: Amp for Magnepan MMG?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:14 am »
My 20+ year-old Moscode 300 Maxi Hybrid amp really sings with my 1.6s in a large room, and I like to play LOUD.  Under $500 used, but a little scarce.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2010, 01:47 am »
Pretty much like everyone else recommends here.  Maggies are nearly completely non-reactive loads at an almost flat 4 ohms.  So any amp with a stiff power supply and gobs of reserve power will do, thus the recommendations for high power SS amps without much regard to nuance and delicacy.  I think the sound character of amps come out more with reactive speakers that stress them across the frequency band and up and down the power curve.  This is not Maggies, they reveal more about your preamp and source components than your power amp, as long as it's got the balls to keep up.  PS, I run a B&K ST202 that matches these criteria, many other amps will also do just fine.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #22 on: 8 Oct 2010, 02:02 am »
Not to completely hijack this thread but has anyone here heard a set of MMGs with a Manley Stingray? 
Add a good sub to them and that might be the ticket.

raindance

« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:46 am »
I have owned about 5 pairs of Maggies. Here is my take. They are flat and lifeless with most "affordable" tube amps. They also have zero dynamic capability with anything less than 50 watts RMS per side. I have used them with tube amps from 20 watts per side up to 100 watts per side. None were adequate. The best sounding was the little Jolida EL84 amp, but only for late night at low volume. Second best was the Cayin TA-30, third the Vista i34, but only marginally more drive capability. The worst were the TAD-1000 monos. Note that these were all budget amps, not ARC or suchlike. With solid state amps they tend to be bright, but easier to drive. Pairing a bright solid state amp with a darkish tube preamp works wonders but can introduce some slowness that kind of defeats the Maggie speed.

On a budget, you can get a taste for Maggie sound using NAD amps. The 50 watt per channel amps they make sound great on Maggies. Their bigger amps are not so good to my ears.

My latest opinion (as this is a subjective hobby) is that they would sound incredible with the ClassDaudio SDS-254 or SDS-258. I have built the CDA-254 and SDS-254 and found the SDS-254 to be the better choice as it can be run passive (no preamp) and sounds smooth - not a hint of brightness - kind of like a big MacIntosh amp. This amp has me wanting to buy Maggies again as I think it would be a match made in heaven. 250 watts per side. But get the upgraded power supply board as the 4 ohm load will punish the reserves in the low profile PSU.

My suggestion: Class D amps, passive preamp, the best digital source you can afford. Oh, and space to place the speakers correctly.

While I'm rambling on about Maggies - DO NOT try to absorb the back wave from them. They are planar dipoles and you'll kill the magic of the dipole "larger than life" sound. At the most, set some bushy plants in the corners but not directly behind the speakers. Setup your room with a "live front" and absorb at the rear behind your listening position. There is no need for side wall treatment unless you have significant ringing. Get a thick carpet to dampen floor to ceiling reflection.

If you are talking MMG's - smallish rooms are best. 12 x 14 x 8 or so. Increasing the room size makes it hard to get high volume without going to a larger Maggie.

Subs - get a sealed box sub good down to 25Hz or so. Don't put it in the corner, rather somewhere in the center between the speakers but back towards the front wall. Cross over around 70 - 80 Hz (MMG is good down to 60Hz in theory, but resonates at 100Hz, causing a sharp-sounding rolloff below 100Hz.

Seating - don't try to listen nearfield. These are not point source speakers. 8' minimum.

Tilt - your taste - vertical is brightest at the listening position. Toe-in - 1" towards seating. Tweeters - outside. Separation - 6' - 8'. Symmetrical placement is critical side-to-side and front-to-back.

Enough for now... Point is that placement is almost more important than the amp or source...

Gopher

« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2010, 01:24 am »
I remember thinking the Jolida 1501RC with NOS 5751s was a nice sounding match to the MMGs when I owned them several years back.

If I were doing it again, I'd give them a whirl with the Class D amplification that has caught the focus of cheap and cheerful.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #25 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:43 am »
Here is my take. They are flat and lifeless with most "affordable" tube amps. They also have zero dynamic capability with anything less than 50 watts RMS per side.

On a budget, you can get a taste for Maggie sound using NAD amps. The 50 watt per channel amps they make sound great on Maggies. Their bigger amps are not so good to my ears.

While I'm rambling on about Maggies - DO NOT try to absorb the back wave from them. They are planar dipoles and you'll kill the magic of the dipole "larger than life" sound. At the most, set some bushy plants in the corners but not directly behind the speakers. Setup your room with a "live front" and absorb at the rear behind your listening position. There is no need for side wall treatment unless you have significant ringing. Get a thick carpet to dampen floor to ceiling reflection.

If you are talking MMG's - smallish rooms are best. 12 x 14 x 8 or so. Increasing the room size makes it hard to get high volume without going to a larger Maggie.

Subs - get a sealed box sub good down to 25Hz or so. Don't put it in the corner, rather somewhere in the center between the speakers but back towards the front wall. Cross over around 70 - 80 Hz (MMG is good down to 60Hz in theory, but resonates at 100Hz, causing a sharp-sounding rolloff below 100Hz.

Seating - don't try to listen nearfield. These are not point source speakers. 8' minimum.

Tilt - your taste - vertical is brightest at the listening position. Toe-in - 1" towards seating. Tweeters - outside. Separation - 6' - 8'. Symmetrical placement is critical side-to-side and front-to-back.

Enough for now... Point is that placement is almost more important than the amp or source...

I couldn't agree more, excellent post.  I would say that some side wall treatment in many rooms, whether absorptive or diffusers, is needed.  I'm sure you have run into several rooms that don't need it, but the "ringing" you noted is the perfect description of what needs to be tamed when you encounter it.  And to expand on your front wall ideas, do not make it totally absorptive, agreed, but diffusers work very well, and sometimes a touch of absorption dead in the middle, not behind the speaker's rear wave reflection, can tame some of that ringing and add even more depth to the soundstage.

Lastly, your statement on placement is spot on.  I measure with a laser to get them dead on perfectly symmetrical.  It makes a big difference in getting rid of some of the Maggie Mist.  I can clearly hear when they're locked in position, the haze goes away, sounds like a phase distortion being removed.  What is your opinion on the tilt forward position, I've been kinda liking a bit of forward tilt to get a more specific soundstage.  Anyway, good stuff there raindance.       

raindance

« Reply #26 on: 5 Nov 2010, 10:52 am »
@Letitroll98
The critical items for focus are: symmetry from back wall, side walls, listening position and tilt. Easiest way to set tilt is place the two speakers side-to side, loosen the screws on one set of feet and get 'em the same.

I wouldn't try forward tilt unless you are sitting on the floor :icon_lol: Vertical is best, slight tilt back loses some focus and brightness, but is best for most folks. You have to understand how a line array launches wave fronts to get a "visual" on this, but basically these speakers push out a vertical "beam" of sound that measures the height of the active panel itself (a bit short of the 4' actual height) and disperse a fair bit horizontally based on the "narrowness" of the tweeter windings.

I also found the attenuating resistors do nasty things to the sound and efficiency. Be careful with so-called crossover upgrades on the web - one of them out there does not play well with "newer" MMG's and makes them sound, well, broken... The factory crossover was deigned to give them presence and warmth and achieves these compromises well. They measure great in room.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 5 Nov 2010, 02:06 pm »
  If your considering SS either classe or Plinius. Tubes AR Classic 60.

charles

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #28 on: 5 Nov 2010, 03:06 pm »
I have owned about 5 pairs of Maggies. Here is my take. They are flat and lifeless with most "affordable" tube amps. They also have zero dynamic capability with anything less than 50 watts RMS per side. I have used them with tube amps from 20 watts per side up to 100 watts per side. None were adequate. The best sounding was the little Jolida EL84 amp, but only for late night at low volume. Second best was the Cayin TA-30, third the Vista i34, but only marginally more drive capability. The worst were the TAD-1000 monos. Note that these were all budget amps, not ARC or suchlike. With solid state amps they tend to be bright, but easier to drive. Pairing a bright solid state amp with a darkish tube preamp works wonders but can introduce some slowness that kind of defeats the Maggie speed.

My latest opinion (as this is a subjective hobby) is that they would sound incredible with the ClassDaudio SDS-254 or SDS-258. I have built the CDA-254 and SDS-254 and found the SDS-254 to be the better choice as it can be run passive (no preamp) and sounds smooth - not a hint of brightness - kind of like a big MacIntosh amp. This amp has me wanting to buy Maggies again as I think it would be a match made in heaven. 250 watts per side. But get the upgraded power supply board as the 4 ohm load will punish the reserves in the low profile PSU.

My suggestion: Class D amps, passive preamp, the best digital source you can afford. Oh, and space to place the speakers correctly.

May I be so bold as to recommend a Cherry amp???  Of course!  Check out this board:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=174

Best Regards,
Tommy

ken

« Reply #29 on: 5 Nov 2010, 04:12 pm »

I own the Tad 1000 Monos and had them paired with the Magnestand smga's and 1.6's and the sound was nothing short than stellar.  Even John (aka Peter Gunn over at the planar asylum) was very impressed and almost seemed to like them better than his Pass 250 amp, so I respectfully disagree with your assesment about the Tad 1000's and Maggies, perhaps it was the pre you happened to be using  Disclaimer:  I did hear how the stock Smga's sounded with the Tad 1000's and I wasn't that impressed either but I'm pretty certain it was more of a  shortcoming with the Smga's (and possibly the room size 20x18) then the Tad's as they did sound great with PG's mods.
     As with all Maggies, give them alot of good clean power be it SS or tubes and they'll sing.  Incidentally I also happen to own the Cayin TA-30 and there's a certain sweetness about that amp that plays way bigger then it's 30 wpc channel may lead you to believe.  it doesn't surprise me it sounded good with Maggies as well.
 I've stated this many times:  If I owned a pair of Maggies (which I do hope to one day) I wouldn't hesitate about sending them to Magnestand for his mods

DTB300

« Reply #30 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:06 pm »
  If your considering SS either Classe or Plinius. Tubes AR Classic 60.
+1 on the Plinius - nothing like deciding when to run Class A or not....

Berndt

« Reply #31 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »
I've also had a few sets of Maggie and have run the gamut on amps..

If I had to do it all again, I'd get a pass x250 used for 2500$  and forget about it.
I'd also run a nice tube pre.

weitrhino

« Reply #32 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:30 pm »
There are a lot of opinions on which amp to buy.  Sometimes I read through threads like this convinced the contributors are using such a request as an opportunity to toss out all the brands and models they claim to have tried, each seemingly more esoteric than the last.  There can be a certain sanctimony about it to which we are all susceptible in this hobby.  With all this in mind I'll offer my opinion as well, sanctimonious or otherwise.

Consider the Sunfire 300x2 right up your alley.  First, it falls well within your affordability range.  Second, with it's tracking downconverter power supply it can dump goo-gobs of power on demand, holding some 480 joules in reserve, while thinking nothing of your 4 ohm nominal demand.  Third, a little web sleuthing will reveal multiple highly favorable reviews.

Berndt

« Reply #33 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:44 pm »
Fwiw, the amps Ive tried are...
Jolida music envoys
Innersound ESL
Conrad Johnson mf250
Acurus 100w
luxman integrated
I was using a mapletree preamp, which was replaced by an exemplar.
I feel with maggies the amp is a very critical component. I also was/am a patron of John at magnastand. I trust his ears S everything he said did exactly what he said. He runs a pass amp and from my burning amp experience nelson pass is a real enthusiast that I have no qualms supporting.

Berndt

« Reply #34 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
I also learned while trying Maggie amps out than some sold easier than others. There are blue chip audio brands that hold their value and sell quickly. Just another thing to consider.