Help re arranging the room to get better sound

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: Help re arranging the room to get better sound
« Reply #40 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:10 am »
Thanks for the clarification Doug
I'm going to opt for the pink triangle placement first and see how that goes
The Flat screen Tv will be placed on the SW wall

The wife is ok with this placement and seems to think this is the best compromise  :thumb:
ok - so you are going w/the pink triangle placement - this means the chair as pictured remains pretty-much in its same location, but turned 90 degrees to the right, correct?  so, which is the sw wall?  the plasma screen isn't gonna be directly between the speakers?  or, is the far right wall in fact the sw wall?

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #41 on: 9 Sep 2009, 02:19 am »

The wife is ok with this placement and seems to think this is the best compromise  :thumb:
ok - so you are going w/the pink triangle placement - this means the chair as pictured remains pretty-much in its same location, but turned 90 degrees to the right, correct?  so, which is the sw wall?  the plasma screen isn't gonna be directly between the speakers?  or, is the far right wall in fact the sw wall?

doug s.
Yes the chair remains pretty much in the same location but turned 90 degrees - the plasma screen will reside on the same wall as the staircase -aka the western wall

The far right wall where the speakers will be postioned is the Southern wall
A leather couch will be placed on the Eastern wall

you're correct in that the plasma screem isn't going to be between the speakers

I didn't make this easy to follow for anyone trying to read this from the beginning thanks for your patience

A general question

When trying to assess the first reflection points and using the mirror method do I look for the tweeter and mark each point

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #42 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:44 am »

doug s.
Yes the chair remains pretty much in the same location but turned 90 degrees - the plasma screen will reside on the same wall as the staircase -aka the western wall

The far right wall where the speakers will be postioned is the Southern wall
A leather couch will be placed on the Eastern wall

you're correct in that the plasma screem isn't going to be between the speakers

I didn't make this easy to follow for anyone trying to read this from the beginning thanks for your patience

A general question

When trying to assess the first reflection points and using the mirror method do I look for the tweeter and mark each point

regarding the mirror to find first reflection points, your midwoofer will also benefit from absorption; in fact the midwoofer is less directional than the tweeter.  i'd mark the spots on the wall where you can see both drivers from the listening position, and shoot for a minimum of 1' of absorption on either side of each spot - 2' would be even better.

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #43 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:59 am »
Doug,
In the new speaker position the flat screen tv will be to the right of me on the wall and in between speakers and listening chair
I plan to drape a blanket over the television when listening

I have 6 2 inch traps and 2 bass absorbers so treatments are plenty once the reflection points have been addressed
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 01:03 pm by bluemike »

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #44 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:56 pm »
Sorry.  Behind again.

I think what you're proposing will work OK.  Will you be able to get away from the nook with the speakers?

Bryan

bluemike

« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:01 pm »
Sorry.  Behind again.

I think what you're proposing will work OK.  Will you be able to get away from the nook with the speakers?

Bryan, did you mean will the rear of the speakers be placed behind the nook i'm going to try them with the speaker back being parallel to the side wall before it juts out
I may pull them out a bit further when i'm listening to music but that all depends how close I am to the face of the Plasma televison and how much the right speaker effects the walk way to the Laundry room

I'm going to try to keep it to a 6 foot equalateral triangle and then see how close I am to the side walls

Bryan If you could expand a bit on your post above where the treatments should go with this new speaker positioning or I could email you offline when the new speaker postioining is assumed

Thanks for the help Guys !!!
Pat

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2009, 01:40 pm by bluemike »

bluemike

« Reply #46 on: 14 Sep 2009, 01:05 pm »
Hi Brian P
I realize you're stil catching up - :wink:
Can you go over treatment placements again

BTW Did I answer your question above ?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 14 Sep 2009, 01:34 pm »
Treat the lower right corner with bass control.

A 242 panel behind each monitor.

242 panels on the side walls for reflections.

You'll have to experiment with something on the side of the angled area to see if there are slaps off that then off the front wall.

Bryan

bluemike

« Reply #48 on: 14 Sep 2009, 02:05 pm »
Treat the lower right corner with bass control. A 242 panel behind each monitor.
You'll have to experiment with something on the side of the angled area to see if there are slaps off that then off the front wall.
Bryan

1  Are you referring to behind my chair I already have a 244 straddled along the corner ?

the right I currently have a panel to the left the wall will be quite close to the speakers

A 242 panel behind each monitor. those walls are angled is that ok

is this the stair case wall

I can call your or email you if that is easier ?

Browntrout

« Reply #49 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:35 pm »
He means the opposing wall to the SW wall (which is opposing the NE wall) which would be directly facing the listening chair (that has been rotated through 90 degrees) should have bass absorbtion.
  Then behind the monitors should be a panel each with the plasma screen angled such that it is between the speakers but you have to tilt your head outwards slightly (still the right way up) to see it perfectly thus reducing reflections from the screen when the picture is of a light colour. When viewing dark images it would be best to angle it downwards slightly.  :lol:

Now seriously, no matter how much someone knows about room acoustics they cannot tell you exactly how to arrange your room. There are too many variables to factor in, just try something for a few days or a week then try something else a little different. It is fun to experiment and it is truthfully the only way to find out what sounds correct/best.

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:29 pm »
Treat the lower right corner with bass control. A 242 panel behind each monitor.
Bryan

1  Are you referring to behind my chair I already have a 244 straddled along the corner ?

the right I currently have a panel to the left the wall will be quite close to the speakers

A 242 panel behind each monitor. those walls are angled is that ok

is this the stair case wall

I can call your or email you if that is easier ?

Yes.  On the angled walls.

Yes - the side of the staircase wall.

Bryan

bluemike

« Reply #51 on: 15 Sep 2009, 07:23 pm »
Thanks Brian I guess most of the traps will remain as is except for maybe 1 or 2 of the 242 panels and the tri traps ?

If you look at my sketch again ..sorry  :duh:
with the far left being North  should either tri traps be moved does it make sense to put one along the side wall corner of the starcase and leave the other as is ?

Browntrout, I appreciate your input as well  I agree with your comments but it doesn't hurt to ask the experts and reconfirm where you think the room treatment will work best
Bryan is familiar with my room and obstructions and i'm a bit anal to say the least when it comes to these things
So far Bryan has done wonders to the sound of my room  :thumb:

Pat

Browntrout

« Reply #52 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:07 pm »
Of course, please don't take my joking to mean anything, I was just having a laugh.  :D

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:09 pm »
The best advice I can give you is to place what we know needs to be addressed and where as previously discussed.  Take the rest out of the room for now and see where you stand.  Then we can work back in a bit at a time.

Bryan