Help re arranging the room to get better sound

bluemike

Re: Help re arranging the room to get better sound
« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2009, 09:55 pm »
I have a suggestion. Put your stereo where the red corner sofa is, in the half circle. With the components in the middle and the speakers either side with them angled pointing directly towards the seat which would be in the middle of the mouth of the half circle opening.
  The panels could cover the whole of the half circle wall and the large butting out wall ceiling bit. The brown listening chair would be facing into the half cirlce pointing toward the middle flat which has the silver uplighter and brown panel on it in the first picture.
  What do you guys reckon?
not sure I get what you're referring to can you expand a bit more is this similar to what Doug is proposing ?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2009, 02:50 am »
I have a suggestion. Put your stereo where the red corner sofa is, in the half circle. With the components in the middle and the speakers either side with them angled pointing directly towards the seat which would be in the middle of the mouth of the half circle opening.
  The panels could cover the whole of the half circle wall and the large butting out wall ceiling bit. The brown listening chair would be facing into the half cirlce pointing toward the middle flat which has the silver uplighter and brown panel on it in the first picture.
  What do you guys reckon?
not sure I get what you're referring to can you expand a bit more is this similar to what Doug is proposing ?
mike, best i can figure is browntrout's suggestion is what's shown in my diagram indicated by the pink triangle.  chair is in the same location as in your diagram, but turned clockwise 90 degrees, speakers being located at the other two points of the triangle.  in all my triangle layouts, the chair is at either the uppermost or furthest-left point of the triangle, w/the speakers being at the other two points...

the pink triangle location is prolly the most waf-friendly.  another option, likely still not the most waf-friendly, but one that will not be out in the room so much is shown below, chair is at the triangle point closest to where the chair is now:

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:55 pm »
  What do you guys reckon?
mike, best i can figure is browntrout's suggestion is what's shown in my diagram indicated by the pink triangle.  chair is in the same location as in your diagram, but turned clockwise 90 degrees, speakers being located at the other two points of the triangle.  in all my triangle layouts, the chair is at either the uppermost or furthest-left point of the triangle, w/the speakers being at the other two points...

the pink triangle location is prolly the most waf-friendly.  another option, likely still not the most waf-friendly, but one that will not be out in the room so much is shown below, chair is at the triangle point closest to where the chair is now:

doug s.
Once again thanks for the input Doug
The diagonal placement will be hard to pull off as i'm placing a 47 inch plasma television on the southern wall (where my couch currently resides)
I'm going to try to place my speakers along the short wall and have them fire into the room this appears to have the least amount of obstructions

Brian Pape It would be very much appreciated if you chimed in with your 2 cents on the new speakers placement since you're pretty familiar with my room and layout

Pat

Browntrout

« Reply #23 on: 30 Aug 2009, 01:59 pm »
Hello, the pink (purple?) triangle is what I was suggesting but with the speakers a bit further apart and the chair a little further out. Anyhow experimentation (with most things removed from the room) is probably the only way to hear what's going on. Thanks Doug for the graphics.

bluemike

« Reply #24 on: 30 Aug 2009, 02:21 pm »
Hello, the pink (purple?) triangle is what I was suggesting but with the speakers a bit further apart and the chair a little further out. Anyhow experimentation (with most things removed from the room) is probably the only way to hear what's going on. Thanks Doug for the graphics.
Thanks !

Browntrout

« Reply #25 on: 30 Aug 2009, 07:27 pm »
The thinking, rightly or wrongly, was that with the correct speaker angle the first reflections would never reach the listening position due to the enclosed half circle. (never meaning not in any time that would have a blurring effect on direct wave.)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #26 on: 30 Aug 2009, 09:42 pm »
mike, if i understand you correctly, you will be going for something similar to what is indicated w/the pink triangle.

you could also work a plasma tv w/the last diagram i showed w/the purple trinagle - no reason the tv couldn't go in that corner space, even if it's not flush against the wall...

good luck,

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #27 on: 31 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »
mike, if i understand you correctly, you will be going for something similar to what is indicated w/the pink triangle.
yes that's the plan

you could also work a plasma tv w/the last diagram i showed w/the purple trinagle - no reason the tv couldn't go in that corner space, even if it's not flush against the wall
Doug I agree

Thanks for all your help guys
I Will post pics with the new speaker placement and listening impressions once i've settled in

Cheers
Pat   :D

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #28 on: 31 Aug 2009, 12:05 pm »
good luck pat.  yes, keep us posted; room acoustics is probably the single biggest issue for most people, when trying to achieve excellent audio reproduction in the home; and it's a learning experience to see how folks have dealt with it.

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #29 on: 1 Sep 2009, 02:41 am »
good luck pat.  yes, keep us posted; room acoustics is probably the single biggest issue for most people, when trying to achieve excellent audio reproduction in the home; and it's a learning experience to see how folks have dealt with it.

doug s.
Thanks Doug... will do

Bryan Pape, I would like to get your input as well with the final placement i've decided on when you have some time to chime in
« Last Edit: 1 Sep 2009, 04:13 am by bluemike »

Brown

« Reply #30 on: 2 Sep 2009, 01:11 pm »
Here's a scan of my room to scale

Treatments are GIK acoustics and Real Traps
The eight nerve treatments have been removed
The ceiling height varies from 7-8 feet depending on the duct work

How did you scan your room to scale ? That is too cool. Thanks in advance.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #31 on: 4 Sep 2009, 12:45 pm »
Sorry Pat.  Missed this.

Not sure which way to go really.  Having the TV on the South wall kind of mucks things up IMO.

Either having the speakers on the right wall as previously suggested or angling them from the lower right corner would probably be your best bet.  You have enough treatments to pull off either one of them effectively.  Each has it's pluses and minuses.  Both would give you lots of space behind your seating position which would be a welcome change.

Bryan

bluemike

« Reply #32 on: 5 Sep 2009, 12:53 am »
Sorry Pat.  Missed this.

Not sure which way to go really.  Having the TV on the South wall kind of mucks things up IMO.

Either having the speakers on the right wall as previously suggested or angling them from the lower right corner would probably be your best bet.  You have enough treatments to pull off either one of them effectively.  Each has it's pluses and minuses.  Both would give you lots of space behind your seating position which would be a welcome change.

Bryan
Hi Bryan
Thanks for chiming in
To clarify a few things:

The television I plan to place on the western wall will be a plasma televison not the honking 36 inch crt tv that currently resides there ..i'm thinking this should be a non issue from an acoustics perspective ?

I will be going with the Speakers on the right hand side of the drawings as suggested -keep in mind the L shaped couch is gone from that space as well

Any idea which treatments go where once the new speaker positioning has been assumed ?
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 02:32 am by bluemike »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #33 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:02 pm »
Sorry Pat.  Missed this.

Bryan
Hi Bryan
Thanks for chiming in
To clarify a few things:

The television I plan to place on the southern wall will be a plasma televison not the honking 36 inch crt tv that currently resides there ..i'm thinking this should be a non issue from an acoustics perspective ?

I will be going with the Speakers on the right hand side of the drawings as suggested keep in mind the L shaped couch is gone from that space as well

Any idea which treatments go where once the new speaker positioning has been assumed ?
for the speaker/seating location indicated by the pink triangle, sound absorption should, imo, go where i have indicated in brown; with most critical areas shown w/heavier lines.

for the speaker/seating location indicated by the purple triangle:

due to location of staircase indicated by dotted line, and proximity of the wall to the right speaker if using the pink triangle layout, i suspect the purple triangle layout will give best sound.  and, note i have two purple triangles - exact final location can be adjusted to balance not being too far into the room with keeping speakers further from the walls.  but, as the walls are angled, you can place the speakers closer to them w/less deleterious effects than normal.

doug s.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #34 on: 5 Sep 2009, 02:39 pm »
Due to lack of symmetry, the right wall will need to be absorbed.  Front and angled walls absorbed.

The wall and corner opposite the speakers (where your seat is now kind of) would have some bass control.

You're not far enough that some diffusion on the far wall behind you might work very well.

Bryan

bluemike

« Reply #35 on: 6 Sep 2009, 03:47 am »
Due to lack of symmetry, the right wall will need to be absorbed.  Front and angled walls absorbed.

The wall and corner opposite the speakers (where your seat is now kind of) would have some bass control.

You're not far enough that some diffusion on the far wall behind you might work very well.

Bryan
Hi Brian
When you refer to the right wall are you referring to the wall behind my speakers ?(right side of the drawing)

Can you expand on which wall and corner opposite of the speakers
is this the wall behind my head ? (the angled staircase)

Bryan would it be possible to doodle over my existing drawing where the 242, 244, and Tri traps should go with the new placement --  this would go a long way in visualizing things  :scratch:

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 02:35 am by bluemike »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #36 on: 6 Sep 2009, 04:09 am »
...Doug, the angled placement wont work as a plasma television will go along the southern wall and this should impact any sort of diagonal positioning
i'd give serious thought to placing the plasma screen in the sw corner, still positioned between the speakers, and as close to the wall as possible.  while the screen might be a little closer to the plane of the speakers in this location, compared to the pink triangle location, you could always drape a heavy blanket over the screen when listening to music.  you may find the improvement in sound to be worth it...

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #37 on: 6 Sep 2009, 04:20 am »
...Doug, the angled placement wont work as a plasma television will go along the southern wall and this should impact any sort of diagonal positioning
i'd give serious thought to placing the plasma screen in the sw corner, still positioned between the speakers, and as close to the wall as possible.  while the screen might be a little closer to the plane of the speakers in this location, compared to the pink triangle location, you could always drape a heavy blanket over the screen when listening to music.  you may find the improvement in sound to be worth it...

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 02:36 am by bluemike »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #38 on: 6 Sep 2009, 02:43 pm »

doug s.
Not sure I get you -which SW corner the tv should go on ?
 are you not referring to the SE corner ...

hmmm.  from this comment, i suspect that the layout you have in mind is represented by the blue triangle below, south wall being at the bottom of the drawing.  from your prior comments, i thought the pink triangle represented what you had in mind.  red line indicates location of plasma screen:

since you never specifically identified the south wall, afaik, i assumed it was per below.  plasma screen indicated in red.  even if it's not, my suggestions are based on what is represented here:

while i am yust speculating, i think that the purple triangle would give best sound, w/the blue & pink triangle locations pretty close to each other, and a little behind what would be had w/the purple triangle set-up.  of course, you would have to try for yourself, to see...   :wink:  certainly, if you want to utilize that red couch, it seems the pink and blue triangle layouts would be easier to work with.

doug s.

bluemike

« Reply #39 on: 8 Sep 2009, 03:43 am »
Thanks for the clarification Doug
I'm going to opt for the pink triangle placement first and see how that goes
The Flat screen Tv will be placed on the western wall

The wife is ok with this placement and she seems to think this is the best compromise  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 02:38 am by bluemike »