Wines from Chile

Mr Content

Wines from Chile
« on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:52 am »
Just sampled some Montes Alpha Merlot. Have to say it was JUST beautiful  :thumb:

Any one else tried this or similar wines from Chile?

Mr C aa

JuanR

Re: Wines from Chile
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2009, 01:02 pm »
Try Don Melchor from Concha & toro, any year ,I think 03 and 04 are the best.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:44 pm »
Try Don Melchor from Concha & toro, any year ,I think 03 and 04 are the best.

Sure,

That's like saying get Cheval Blanc for a Bordeaux!  :lol: :lol:

If you want something good for less, cab blends in 03, 05, 06 and 07 should be good.  You can usually find wines that are rated around 90 for less then $20 like this  Wine Spectator 91.

EDIT:  I should have said Mouton Rothschild since they have working relationship together to produce Almaviva line.
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2009, 06:15 pm by woodsyi »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009, 02:49 pm »
Ohhhh.....My one and only favorite red wine is Chilean.  aa :wine:
A very good buddy of mine was born and raised in San Diego, Chile, South America. I had never liked wine of any sort until he "forced" me to try some from his home country.
Since then, I've sampled reds from around the world and have found that I do like a great many of them. But I've given the wife explicit instructions that when she does her weekly grocery shopping to consider Concha y Toro* Frontera as a staple. Either the Merlot or the Cab, doesn't matter. I love them both.
> HERE < is there commercial, complete with beautiful music, beautiful scenery, beautiful wine and a beautiful woman.
Strangely enough, the same wine I get looks darker than it does in the commercial. Not sure why that is.

Bob
* "The shell and the bull"

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2009, 03:50 pm »
Being the cheapskate that I am, it is hard for me to get past the massive inflation of Chilean wine prices over the past decade.  Although I have little doubt that quality has improved, top wines from Chile that ran $8-12 are now 4X that.  The low end hasn't changed much, but for $40 I can get a very nice Rioja or even a good Bordeaux (if I am willing to cellar it for 5 years or so).  Perhaps someone can suggest a knockout Chilean for $20?????

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2009, 04:56 pm »
Perhaps someone can suggest a knockout Chilean for $20?????
Read the post directly above yours.  :wink:

Bob

S Clark

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:06 pm »
Perhaps someone can suggest a knockout Chilean for $20?????
Read the post directly above yours.  :wink:

Bob
I'll pick up a bottle next time I'm in town.  :)

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:11 pm »
Ok good deal Scott. They're the bigger bottles, not the little puny ones.

Bob

p.s. By the way, let us know what you think.  aa

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2009, 05:59 pm »
There are some wines in Frontera category that will taste good to some folks who think they are great bargains.  Then there will also be others who just can't stand the very same wines.  It's strange how reactions can be so night and day.  :scratch: It's like the digital switching amps.  So try one before buying a case.

I would stand by the Santa Rita (Maipo Valley) recommendation I made above.  I consider this class of Chilean wine ($15 to $20 with ratings of low 90's by all the usual reviewers like Parker, Spectator, Enthusiast, etc.) to be the Chilean bargain now since the super Chileans like Conch Y Toro Melchor are selling over $60.  The Montes Alpha mentioned by the OP is in this  "bargain" class. 

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2009, 06:03 pm »
Check out some wines made with the Carmen?re grape.  Quite good in my opinion and while it started in France it is pretty much the national grape of Chilean wines.

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2009, 06:14 pm »
I would stand by the Santa Rita (Maipo Valley) recommendation I made above.  I consider this class of Chilean wine ($15 to $20 with ratings of low 90's by all the usual reviewers like Parker, Spectator, Enthusiast, etc.) to be the Chilean bargain now since the super Chileans like Conch Y Toro Melchor are selling over $60.  The Montes Alpha mentioned by the OP is in this  "bargain" class.
I had a couple of bottles of Santa Rita Reserve 6-8 years ago that were pretty good at around $9-10.  However, when a top Chilean breaks $50, I just have to wonder if the best values aren't in some of the old standbys that are yesterdays new to Messrs. Parker and crew.  $30 buys you a very serious Ridge zinfandel, $45-55 buys a top Rioja grand reserve (Muga or Marques De Murrietta Castillo Ygay).  Are these Chilean wines on par with wines of this caliber?  Everywhere that Parker goes, inflated prices are sure to follow.

BobM

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2009, 06:44 pm »
I've been enjoying some very good Spanish wines this past year, all under $20. No need to get silly on Chile  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:08 pm »
Sorry to keep harping on the Concha Y Toro, but I just checked Woodsyi's link to the Wine Spectator rating scale (thingy), and the Frontera I mentioned isn't rated. I suppose that means it's "crap" wine?  :lol:
Anyway, > HERE'S the link < the exact label to look for.

Ok....That's the last time I'll mention the Frontera. I wouldn't want to be labeled a shill.  :oops: :wink:

Bob

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:23 pm »
Bob,

There is nothing wrong with Frontera.  It is to Concha Y Toro what Woodbridge is to Robert Mondavi Wine.  It provides value for a certain market and that is a good thing.  It's not a pretentious wine.  You like it, it's good.  :wine:

My philosophy is get the best you can enjoy at the cheapest!   :thumb:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2009, 07:44 pm »
Just came back from my local Binny's looking for the cab by Frontera but all they had was the merlot/cab mix.I had left the house before the mention of it being a blend,checked with the wine guy there and they do make a straight cab but it was not in stock. So I was reading the label on the blend and it said to also try their premium wines under the label Marques de Casa Concha. smaller bottle.more expensive at $15.99 so it has to be better right? :lol:Wine Spectator rated a 91 Had the extra $10 so I thought I would go for it,2006 cab. Will shill later after a sip or two.Bought 2 bottles, one as a gift for my brother as we're heading over to his place for dinner on Sunday, my wife likes a chardonnay so I picked up a bottle of their,also premium brand Casillero del Diablo 2007. At $8 figured what the heck. Talking with the wine guru at the store he recommended I try their Carmenere for a really robust full bodied flavor.He suggested that the Carmenere of the Casillero del Diablo I would enjoy more then their Cab.
 For the record I've never had a Chilean wine before but guru said once I do I will be able to tell whenever I drink from Chile as they have a distinct flavor, something to do with the sandy soil and the Ande's mountains.
 Have to finish off a Gnarly Head old vine Zin first though. Oh such is the life!

some young guy

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2009, 09:06 pm »
Not to get off the Chilean topic, but there are a lot of very good Argentine malbecs out there at a good price as well.

Wayner

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:06 pm »
I'll have to give up the 2 Buck Chuck!

Wayner  aa

sts9fan

« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:15 pm »
Mendoza malbecs can be fantastic.  My favorite cheapo one is Kaiken.

maxwalrath

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2009, 10:21 pm »

I've also really enjoyed Kaiken

some young guy

« Reply #19 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:19 pm »
I agree with the Mendozas... I'll look into the Kaiken. I've never had any of those.