How does Bryston Do It?

Mag

How does Bryston Do It?
« on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:19 am »
I've been wondering how Bryston puts the magic into their products? Do they have a bunch of golden ears on staff that are constantly listening to music, and if the sound of unit is not good enough it's gets trashed?

Do they use a benchmark unit from another manufacturer to gauge when their unit bests the other unit? Wouldn't they still need golden ears on staff to discern the difference?

How much do they pay golden ears? Is there positions available, full-time, part-time? Where can I apply?

Phil A

Re: How does Bryston Do It?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2009, 02:32 am »
I guess the golden ear secret is out of the bag
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1171227301052702640GrxCfS

1oldguy

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2009, 11:32 am »
Proof it's gone to the Dogs at Bryston. :thumb: :green: :duh:
I had one just like him many moons ago when I was a kid.Had him for a full 3 years till a neighbor decided to run him down on purpose.
I still have a couple picks of him.If I get a scanner I'll post them.

Robert D

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:03 pm »

Here are My Babies !

Robert

1oldguy

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:16 pm »
Beautiful Robert.

Robert D

« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2009, 12:21 pm »
Thank you Sir!

Thats Nancy my wife and our Kids !

Robert

1oldguy

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2009, 01:13 pm »

This is my current dog,a German Shorthaired Pointer.My father bought her a couple years before he died.he's in the picture with her.

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2009, 03:20 pm »

This is my current dog,a German Shorthaired Pointer.My father bought her a couple years before he died.he's in the picture with her.

Beautiful dog, oldguy and one of my favorite breeds.  Sorry to hear about your dad, my condolences.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2009, 07:30 pm »

Our best friend, "Hector."  :D

werd

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2009, 08:37 pm »

Our best friend, "Hector."  :D

Nice pets, this one looks like the dog from "Little Nicky"

drummermitchell

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2009, 12:46 am »
Nice picts guys :thumb:..

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2009, 02:10 pm »
I've been wondering how Bryston puts the magic into their products? Do they have a bunch of golden ears on staff that are constantly listening to music, and if the sound of unit is not good enough it's gets trashed?

Do they use a benchmark unit from another manufacturer to gauge when their unit bests the other unit? Wouldn't they still need golden ears on staff to discern the difference?

How much do they pay golden ears? Is there positions available, full-time, part-time? Where can I apply?

We use the dogs only for hi-frequency assessment!

james

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2009, 03:38 pm »

james

Better be careful, James.  You'll have PETA knocking at your door!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:02 pm »

james

Better be careful, James.  You'll have PETA knocking at your door!

I only wish! - some guys have all the luck!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:07 pm »

You know it's actually a very good question and I think one benefit we have as a company is that Bryston has been involved in the recording end of the business as long as we have the consumer end of the business.  So the ability to transfer what you hear in the studio and at live events becomes a reference point for Bryston gear.

Also guys there is really no better teacher than experience of doing something for 35 years.

james

werd

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2009, 06:00 pm »

MUGS

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #16 on: 12 Aug 2009, 11:13 pm »

You know it's actually a very good question and I think one benefit we have as a company is that Bryston has been involved in the recording end of the business as long as we have the consumer end of the business.  So the ability to transfer what you hear in the studio and at live events becomes a reference point for Bryston gear.

Also guys there is really no better teacher than experience of doing something for 35 years.

james

I see. Smells like success to me.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2009, 04:33 am »
hi, all!

there is a magazine which shows all the gear they tested the last year.
the technical specs are shown as well like thd & noise, etc. comparing the specs of the BDA-1 and the rest of the shown external dac from other companies tells me one thing: the BDA-1 blows them all away! for example the signal to noise ratio of 140 db!!!

how does Bryston do it?

tested Bryston gear was: 14B SST C, 3B SST C, 100B SST, 26 Preamp

al.
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2009, 11:10 am by alexone »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2009, 12:14 pm »
Hi Alex,

You have to be careful with some of these numbers when making comparisons.  Things like is it a 'weighted' or 'unweighted' measurement, is it 'dithered' or 'undithered' etc. So to be fair comparisons should probably be made with the same 'tester' and 'test gear' as opposed to comparing one magazines measurements with another.

That being said below are the measurements of the BDA-1 taken by the Australian Magazine Hi-Fi:

Test Results

Channel separation is excellent, with the BDA-1 returning a best result of 141dB at 1kHz, while the result of 113dB at 20kHz is one of the best I have seen at such a high frequency. The Bryston's overall signal-to-noise ratio was also excellent, with Newport Test Labs measuring 116dB A-weighted. This, too, is one of the best results I've ever seen from a DAC. One reason for these low noise levels is evident on the spectro-grams, where the noise floor continues flat right down to 0Hz, with no evidence of any mains noise creeping into the circuitry. Graph 1 shows a -10dB recorded signal, and you can see there are no harmonic distortion components visible above the noise floor at all. Also, the noise floor is sitting down at -130dB, which is a fabulous result! No wonder that overall THD+N was tested at 0.007%.

As for linearity, the figures tabulated in the table speak for themselves, with the Bryston delivering only imperceptibly small errors all the way down to the measurement signal limit of -90.31dB. Distortion performance at these low signal levels is excellent, as you can see in Graphs 3 and 4. You can seen that without dither (Graph 3), the BDA-1?s noise floor is lower than -140dB. Adding dither to the test signal sees the noise floor increase to -130dB, but as expected, the distortion visible in Graph 3 disappears entirely.

Steve Holding

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:34 pm »
ok, James. good to know! the mag doesn't say if it's 'weighted' or not and if it's 'dithered' or not...

the models they tested were:
- Aqvox USB DA2 MK2
- Bechmark DAC1
- Reimyo DAP-777
- Slim Devices Transporter
- Jadis JS1 MK3
- Lavry DA10
- PS Audio DL3

so if anyone out there knows how to compare the measurements from the BDA-1 and the above then we might get a more precise clarification?!

al.