Telefunken tubes on Cornet II

Demsy

Telefunken tubes on Cornet II
« on: 31 Jul 2009, 07:25 am »
Hi!

I'm new to this forum and I'm waiting for my Cornet II kit to arrive.
I've been reading almost all of the topics about the Cornet II and noticed that nobody ever mentioned using the Telefunken tubes, 12AX7 or the 12AU&. The plan is for me to use the NOS Telefunken tubes for both, maybe anybody has any experience with those tubes and can share the experience?
As for the rectifier, I got this large pear shaped Philips 5Y3G. I first couldn't believe it, the guy who sold it has 1 big box containing 100 pieces of them, all new. But of course I don't know how the sound quality of it, yet, although the guy told me that it will sound good.
Cheers,

D

flocchini

Re: Telefunken tubes on Cornet II
« Reply #1 on: 31 Jul 2009, 05:21 pm »
I have used Telefunken, Mullard and Bugle Boy 12AX7s in both my CornetII and Chime. To my ears they give a detailed presentation, nice bass, a wide and deep soundstage. Female voices are rich sounding. Both the CornetII and Chime are built with 6SN7s in place of the 12AU7. I had a nice collection of 12AX7s and 6SN7s so the Hagerman products were no brainers. I am glad I went down this path because I have learned a considerable amount and the capacitor experimentation has been very rewarding. Best

Demsy

« Reply #2 on: 1 Aug 2009, 03:00 am »
Thanks for your comment. Between the Telefunken, Mullard and Bugle Boy 12AX7, which one do you prefer? That's interesting that you use the 6SN7 instead of 12AU7, any particular reason and did you need to do a lot of adjustment to have the 6SN7 working, next to the different socket?
My experience with the Telefunken is rather limited to the use of their 6922/E88CC in my linestage preamp and the EF86 in the power mono blocks, which I must say, they're stunningly good. Originally the preamp uses the NOS Mullard 6922, which were also very good.

flocchini

« Reply #3 on: 1 Aug 2009, 04:10 am »
I currently am using Telefunkens and keeping the others as back-ups. They are excellant. I think you will be very pleased. Jim H provided a schematic to use the 6SN7 in the Cornet circuit. I think you will find it if you search for Octal Cornet. A few resistors have to be changed as does the tube socket. For me the fact that I had the 6SN7s made it easy to go this path.

Demsy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Aug 2009, 03:12 am »
Hi Flocchini,
Glad to hear it is the Telefunkens that you like. I have a new pair of the 12AX7 and also a new 12AU7, and will certainly use them in the CornetII. I am just surprised that not many people uses them, but of course each with it's own taste.
Thanks again for your kind inputs,
D

analog97

« Reply #5 on: 4 Aug 2009, 10:26 pm »
Hi,

I am not an experienced tube roller, but I recently switched my Ei 12AU7's for Sylvanias in my Clarinet and Telefunken 12AX7's are now in my Cornet2.  I learned my Ei's were HORRIBLE, and the Telefunken's are kinda even with the old RCA's I was using. My current Cornet/Clarinet combo is supreme.  I am amazed how good a job our fearless leader (the busy guy with day job) did on the design/engineering of these pieces.  I am convinced his engineering skill has provided us all to actually hear these differences.  Kudos, again!!   :D

jameshuls

« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2009, 05:09 pm »
I too have found that the telefunken 12ax7s are my favorite sounding, in the cornet ,in my 2A3 integrated and my cayin headphone amp. I am still not sure about the 12au7 as I haven't been rolling it them much yet.

Demsy

« Reply #7 on: 6 Aug 2009, 03:01 am »
Great, happy to hear about the 12AX7's. Have you tried a Telefunken on the 12AU7, yet? Let us know, as it is interesting to know how it performs compared to the Sylvania.
Cheers,
D
Hi,

I am not an experienced tube roller, but I recently switched my Ei 12AU7's for Sylvanias in my Clarinet and Telefunken 12AX7's are now in my Cornet2.  I learned my Ei's were HORRIBLE, and the Telefunken's are kinda even with the old RCA's I was using. My current Cornet/Clarinet combo is supreme.  I am amazed how good a job our fearless leader (the busy guy with day job) did on the design/engineering of these pieces.  I am convinced his engineering skill has provided us all to actually hear these differences.  Kudos, again!!   :D

Demsy

« Reply #8 on: 6 Aug 2009, 03:09 am »
Another happy Telefunken user, hope one day you also roll the 12AU7 with one, let us know the results, then.
I am still waiting for the kit to arrive, it's on the way. Eager to start the project, heard so many positive reports about the CornetII's.
Have you tried the Mullards, James, I have a pair of the 12AX7 aswell. I guess I'll be busy rolling tubes, once the kit is finished, hehe.
Thanks again for your input!
Cheers,
D
I too have found that the telefunken 12ax7s are my favorite sounding, in the cornet ,in my 2A3 integrated and my cayin headphone amp. I am still not sure about the 12au7 as I haven't been rolling it them much yet.

jameshuls

« Reply #9 on: 6 Aug 2009, 05:16 pm »
Hey D.

Mullards are pretty much the only high-profile boutique NOS 12ax7 I've never got a hold of, as I could never find a matched pair for a reasonable price. I do have JAN NOS Brimar 13D5 tubes which I believe are a mil-spec version of the Mullard 12AU7, although I haven't had a chance to really compare them. This winter I will be concentrating on lots of tube rolling in my cornet, as I have acquired a pile of new tubes (mostly 12au7s and rectifiers, including the near-mythical Bendix 6106s). My Cornet is actually in the shop at the moment, as I want to finish the enclosure before I fire it back up again. Summertime finds me outside most of the time and I don't sit down to listen critically to music very often - us Canadians have to appreciate the nice weather while it lasts - we have beautiful summers, but they are pretty short! Around October my audiophile tendencies return and they stick around until the snow melts in April. I will be posting results of this and some other stuff over the winter. Enjoy the Cornet -  I couldn't believe the quality of the music it passes on, even while I was using it as a bare circuit board sitting unshielded on a piece of granite! I am looking forward to seeing how it sounds once it properly shielded, grounded and controlling resonance.

James

james

Kel...

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2009, 03:37 am »
Hi,

I'm new to forum too and also use Tele 12AX7s (smooth plate) in my blue Cornet.  These are the best sounding tubes in my collection which include Mullards, Brimars, Tungsram etc.  I presently have a Amperex bugle boy 7316 in the 12Au7 position and it sounds very nice there.  Another excellent tube is the CBS/Hytron 5814 square getter. 

I'm curious about the Philips 5Y3G.  May I ask where did you buy it?

Cheers,
Kel...

Demsy

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:14 am »
Hi James,
I have received my kit/2 last week-end in very good condition. Have done almost all of the soldering job and am busy with the enclosure. I'm using 10mm thick aluminum for the sides and bolt the 5mm thick top, bottom, rear plates to it. I'm thinking of using another 10mm for the face plate. So most probably by this week end the casing will be finished, but not anodised yet. Can't wait to have it all assembled and listen to the sound of it.
Yes, enjoy the beautiful summer, you'll have plenty of time, fall and winter, to listen to the music!
Regards,
D

Hey D.

Mullards are pretty much the only high-profile boutique NOS 12ax7 I've never got a hold of, as I could never find a matched pair for a reasonable price. I do have JAN NOS Brimar 13D5 tubes which I believe are a mil-spec version of the Mullard 12AU7, although I haven't had a chance to really compare them. This winter I will be concentrating on lots of tube rolling in my cornet, as I have acquired a pile of new tubes (mostly 12au7s and rectifiers, including the near-mythical Bendix 6106s). My Cornet is actually in the shop at the moment, as I want to finish the enclosure before I fire it back up again. Summertime finds me outside most of the time and I don't sit down to listen critically to music very often - us Canadians have to appreciate the nice weather while it lasts - we have beautiful summers, but they are pretty short! Around October my audiophile tendencies return and they stick around until the snow melts in April. I will be posting results of this and some other stuff over the winter. Enjoy the Cornet -  I couldn't believe the quality of the music it passes on, even while I was using it as a bare circuit board sitting unshielded on a piece of granite! I am looking forward to seeing how it sounds once it properly shielded, grounded and controlling resonance.

James

james

Demsy

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2009, 05:24 am »
Hi Kel,
Good to hear that I made a good choice with the Telefunkens, can't wait to have the project finished and listen to the Cornet. The guy that sold me the Philips 5Y3G, has also a pair of the bugle boys 12AX7, temptation....
I bought this 5Y3 in Jakarta, Indonesia. There is where I live. And there is this guy that has a huge, really huge collection of vacuum tubes, many NOS. But often the boxes are gone, either because of termite or the humidity/water and age. When I asked him about 5Y3, he showed me one big box containing 100 pieces of them, all new. I paid, converted to US$ around $16-17 a piece. I think the price is pretty fair. But of course I can't give any comment yet, maybe in another week of 3, after I finished building it, I might be able to let you know.
Cheers,
D
Hi,

I'm new to forum too and also use Tele 12AX7s (smooth plate) in my blue Cornet.  These are the best sounding tubes in my collection which include Mullards, Brimars, Tungsram etc.  I presently have a Amperex bugle boy 7316 in the 12Au7 position and it sounds very nice there.  Another excellent tube is the CBS/Hytron 5814 square getter. 

Cheers,
Kel...

Demsy

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2009, 10:30 am »
Here's a picture of the Philips 5Y3G, sorry for the poor picture quality, taken with a mobile.
D
 [

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #14 on: 11 Aug 2009, 10:47 pm »
I've heard them. The 12AX7LPS is supposed to a latter day Telefunken some say.
For me there is not enough weight to their sound. I am using Current production Tung Sol 12AX7s with a 1962 Amperex white label 12AU7. A nice weighty tone with a lively midrange.

They say there are differences between the Telefunken smooth and ribbed plates, the smooth plates being 'warmer'. There is also a lot of talk about these current Tung Sols and how they hold their own against fairly favored NOS. I am glad to have found them and may buy the gold pins 'just because.'

Another AU7 is the Sylvania gray plate. Very colorful, a little rounder and slower than the Amperex. And the COMMAND RCA blackplate which is the phattest tube around. But the Amperex does it all. Fast but sweet. Colorful, not dark like the RCA which I like anyway, with a lot of detail without bleaching out.

Over and out.

flocchini

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2009, 04:54 pm »
I forgot to mention that another 12AX7 that I enjoyed is the Brimar. Unfortunately I only had one and it only lasted about 6 months.

I have tried 6016s,6087s, Phillips Miniwatt and Amperex rectifiers. Currently using the Miniwatt in the Chime and the 6016 in the Cornet2.

Enjoy

Bob

Demsy

« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:25 am »
Guys, this is great! Didn't expect to get so many information regarding the tubes. Now we know other alternatives that also sound good or maybe even better than the Telefunken.
Thanks again for the useful information, and keep the information coming!
Cheers,
D

flocchini

« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2009, 03:22 pm »
 In the back of my mind I am remembering that the two 12ax7s did not have to be matched. In fact I though someone mentioned trying different tubes in position 1 and 2. Maybe I am suffering from faulty memory dump. Comments

Best

Bob

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #18 on: 14 Aug 2009, 02:03 am »
We did bring that up. I think Tubes aka Jim is using two different tubes in the ax7 spots.
I tried a 5751 in v1 and a 12ax7 in v2 but some cosmic reason I could not dig it. Too anal I suppose. Can't live with an ambiguity. Sometimes this stuff gets too much in your head about equipment and I just had to go back to ax7s just to settle.

I am not kidding.

In the back of my mind I am remembering that the two 12ax7s did not have to be matched. In fact I though someone mentioned trying different tubes in position 1 and 2. Maybe I am suffering from faulty memory dump. Comments

Best

Bob

Kel...

« Reply #19 on: 19 Aug 2009, 12:47 pm »
Hi D,

We're practically neighbors!  I'm in Singapore.  Nice looking tube.

Cheers,
Kel...

Hi Kel,
Good to hear that I made a good choice with the Telefunkens, can't wait to have the project finished and listen to the Cornet. The guy that sold me the Philips 5Y3G, has also a pair of the bugle boys 12AX7, temptation....
I bought this 5Y3 in Jakarta, Indonesia. There is where I live. And there is this guy that has a huge, really huge collection of vacuum tubes, many NOS. But often the boxes are gone, either because of termite or the humidity/water and age. When I asked him about 5Y3, he showed me one big box containing 100 pieces of them, all new. I paid, converted to US$ around $16-17 a piece. I think the price is pretty fair. But of course I can't give any comment yet, maybe in another week of 3, after I finished building it, I might be able to let you know.
Cheers,
D
Hi,

Cheers,
Kel...