Sneak Peak

Levi

Re: Sneak Peak
« Reply #40 on: 20 Aug 2009, 04:13 am »
Yeah I like the center channel.  Wait that looks like a Lexicon proc.  :lol:  I would love to audition your system. 

Mad Mr H

« Reply #41 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:32 am »
Hi,

The 2ch has a Black Lexicon MC12 Balanced v5 with room EQ ,This is my old Cinema processor.

I would like to see a Bryston CD find its way into this system.

The Cinema currently has an Onkyo886 (Integra in USA) which allows Bi Amp of front left/right and has the ability for room eq via the AUDSSEY system.

I would like to see a Bryston SP3 find its way into this system  :D.

RE Center in 2ch - Bose Cube  :icon_lol: used it so I could have some music whilst I set up the rest of the system.

Viajero5000

« Reply #42 on: 20 Aug 2009, 02:48 pm »
What're the dimensions of the room with the BB5s?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #43 on: 20 Aug 2009, 03:20 pm »
The BB5 system was due to be installed in about 6 months,

But they arrived early so they are in a room that is "Small" at the mo, The wall with the Plasma is due to be knocked down, There is an extension behind that wall, you might see the temp opening left of the left ch speaker.

Current room size 4m x 5m I sit with the BB5's 2.5m from my ears

NEW room size will be 8m x 5m BB5's will sit 5m from my ears.

So its a temp system for now.

Viajero5000

« Reply #44 on: 20 Aug 2009, 03:45 pm »
Ok. I thought the room was quite small given the size of the speakers.  Will the hardwood flooring stay? Certainly can't be doing much good as far as room acoustics are concerned...

Mad Mr H

« Reply #45 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:24 pm »
The Cinema room is the more finished room, 95% acoustic walls and ceiling, floor treatment etc.....

Like I say ignore the 2ch room as the pics are only here for those that wanted to see, and the 2ch system has only been runing for about 20 hours....still being built,

Floor will not be solid wood, the 2ch room is "bright" at the mo, room eq helps but best to start with a better room.......

Always happy to hear others opinions even if they differ from mine, the 2ch room is really a very temp system for now, my prvious Tannoy Ref speakers ran 3 way active with bryston.

Andy.

Viajero5000

« Reply #46 on: 20 Aug 2009, 05:27 pm »
Cool. The cinema room is looking like it's ready for action. How do the MB2s compare with the BB5s in stereo as far as you've been able to tell thus far?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #47 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:11 pm »
Thats very difficult,

The MB2's are running Bi Amp with pairs of 7B SST's

The BB5's are currently running a 4B SST in bridge mode per side.

Totally different room types and no room EQ running in either room.........

Both sets of speakers are days old and running in, So for now I dont think it possible to give a realistic answer.

The do all run the same Kimber Select KS3038 speaker cables and KS1130 interconnects, same players but different processors......

Give me a month and ask that again  :thumb:

Viajero5000

« Reply #48 on: 20 Aug 2009, 06:18 pm »
That's fair enough! Which room eq do you use? The use of eq is a thorny issue but a PMC dealer highly recommended that I try DEQX equalisation.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #49 on: 20 Aug 2009, 07:04 pm »
PMC say to run a direct signal route, I think? Bryston say the same.......

Lets not chat about cables here  :wink: thats another thread for sure and I usually need a flame suit when I post about cables  :scratch:

Just like analogue turned to digital, 2ch to 5.1 and more, room EQ is a new area that digital DSP systms have made possible and available - I still would have run a bank of 31band eq's or parametric eq's in an analogue system

BUT that is the world that I work in, So for me time align, eq, delay stacks are very much part of my working days.

The way I see it, lets say........

Bryston create the perfect amp
PMC create the perfect speaker
Perfect cables, mains etc. 

So you have the "Perfect" system (Just accept that for now.....)

Then you place that system in my room, your room, your mates room and they all sound different - What was the point of buying perfect if you will never hear it?

So for me room eq is an excellent addition to a system, NOT essential but very worthwhile.

I would say that some room treatment and thought is the best starting point.......

Room EQ also allows you to create a sound that you prefer.

Currently the 2ch will use the Lexicon Room eq system - Which is good but I dont like the way I cant see what it has done or have any control over what it is doing - that is however the best option for most people, For me I like to do that work........

The Onkyo will add AUDYSSEY room eq which I am currently working with Onkyo UK on as this is a new feature for the Europe versions and to date has not been done, Its only days since the firmware was released to allow the room eq system to create "MY" curve rather thats its "perfect" curve......so if you like a bass kick, or an emphatic mid, or compensate for loss of HF in your hearing all is possible.........

The 2ch audiophile may not wish to go down this route and I respect that, but the ability is here and is getting added to more and more domestic products........ I would like to see the SP3 have this option. Denon, Nad, Onkyo, Integra, Audyssey all use the Audyssey system,  Velodyne have a bass system, Audyssey now have a bass system, there are many other room eq systems - MOST for me are VERY overpriced.........commercial units have done this and more for 10+ years in time room eq will be a standard feature.

Andy.

Viajero5000

« Reply #50 on: 21 Aug 2009, 05:39 pm »
I would like to try it out first hand and see how it goes. It is of course imperative to get the room treated properly first.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #51 on: 21 Aug 2009, 07:32 pm »
It is of course imperative to get the room treated properly first.

This is often mentioned on forums but so few actually put this into practice.

For many the main audio room also serves as a family living room, kids as well to consider..........So looks and other uses have to be considered.

Cost is of course another consideration.

Viajero5000

« Reply #52 on: 21 Aug 2009, 08:54 pm »

Of course most people don't realize that setting up the listening room properly is the single biggest upgdrade they can get for their system. (IMO the room is also probably the most important part of an audio system).

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #53 on: 22 Aug 2009, 03:28 am »

Of course most people don't realize that setting up the listening room properly is the single biggest upgdrade they can get for their system. (IMO the room is also probably the most important part of an audio system).

Very true, as well as speaker placement.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #54 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:29 pm »
Just lent my Lexicon MC12B v5 to a mate.

In return he has left a Proceed AVP2.

Had the Proceed running all day using both outputs (main/remote) as they are both balanced, run them to a pair of 4B SST's onto the PMC BB5's, Kimber KS1030 intercnnects and two pairs of Kimber Select KS3038 speaker cables.

Mmmm Nice  :D.

Bob Dylan in the place all day.

I had been usng a Logitech (slimdevices) Transporter as the DAC/volume control.

The AVP2 has the edge for sure............and now the BB5's are singing.........

The Lexicon will be back in a week or so, Will be nice to put the Proceed vs Lexi. Lexi has room EQ option.

I am using these as 2ch units as I have them spare at the mo from the old cinema system.

Just had a thought....did the Bryston BP25 have twin blalnced outputs ????

I have had a couple o those in the past - I never seem to make my mind up  :duh:

Two things that test a system Piano & Harmonica...........in my opinion.

Still waiting the last couple of bryston amps to complete the systems.

But consideringSST2 options  :duh: :duh: :duh:

Levi

« Reply #55 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:36 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Have you tried an SP1.7 or SP2 in 2ch bypass mode?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #56 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:48 pm »
Never had a 1.7 or 2.0, I am waiting for the 3.0 but I fear it will be without any room EQ system and so for my cinema room that might be one thing that takes out of the running for use in there......

It would also be an exensive 2ch unit dont you think? Maybe I would be better with BP26 and internal DAC ???

Not really given that much thought as I had the Lexi spare and its value is now much reduced from when I bought it so better to hold onto it.....

My 2ch room is my daily TV watching room - Thats from an optical S/Pdif . Also has Denon 3800 Blur Ray and Tosh XE1 (XA2) HD DVD player.

The Denon 3800 is currently running analogue 2ch audio as a cd player - I say now as its playing Dylan........

The 3800 I use coaxial out for films - I only want 2ch in this room so I have a noticable change when I step into the cinema room. This is also why I keep my old 50" plasma , so the cinema picture has a WOW factor......

Levi

« Reply #57 on: 31 Aug 2009, 04:58 pm »
The 3.0 will definitely worth the wait.  What I do know is that I heard the Lexicon in 2ch mode and it is not as open as the the SP1.7.  The Lexicon in 5.1 HT mode surely it is a different animal.   This is one of the reason I am running a dedicated 2ch preamp for music and SP1.7 for 5.1 ch.  It would actually make lots of sense to keep the Lexicon.  It is all about priorities I guess.  :thumb:

Mad Mr H

« Reply #58 on: 31 Aug 2009, 06:57 pm »
What I do know is that I heard the Lexicon in 2ch mode and it is not as open as the the SP1.7.  The Lexicon in 5.1 HT mode surely it is a different animal.   This is one of the reason I am running a dedicated 2ch preamp for music and SP1.7 for 5.1 ch.  It would actually make lots of sense to keep the Lexicon.

I am always very open minded and respect opinions of others as ears/rooms/personal preference etc. differ greatly between people.

What I would like to know Lexi vs 1.7 is....

• were both balanced or unbalanced in use
  • Same source player and material
  • Did you hear them both in the same room
  • same cables amps speakers etc
  • Running analogue or digital to the pre/pro

In doing side by side shootouts with pro's its a lot of work to make sure they are both set up the same - 2ch analogue is pretty much plug in and your off.......

Mad Mr H

« Reply #59 on: 3 Sep 2009, 08:27 pm »
Last 65Kg (143 lbs)  :o mains conditioner arrived today..........

There is an option for a fourth if needed, These are not made anymore so I bought the original product demo version.

last couple of bits for the audio systems due to be collected tomorrow if I get time........

So near now  :)