MM or MC?

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
Re: MM or MC?
« Reply #40 on: 14 Jul 2009, 03:48 pm »

Variations in actual output volume will depend on sensitivity and gain of the stages that follow - line preamp, power amp, speakers, listening habits....

You state it in a much more clear and succinct manner.  I have been referring to it as "overall system gain / sensitivity"  or "system gain / sensitivity profile".

I'm a master of (re)stating the obvious  :lol:

mgalusha

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2009, 03:50 pm »
John R., if you like I have a Goldring G1012 that came off my Music Hall MMF-5, it has very low hours on it and you can have it if you like. It's a MM cart. The only catch is I have to find it and my basement is currently a mess due to construction of a shop. I do have an idea of where it may be tho.

andyr

« Reply #42 on: 15 Jul 2009, 02:54 am »

(the Grados hum in the Linn w/ AC motors)

Dave

My Grado Reference Platinum shows no hum on my AC-motored LP12.

Regards,

Andy

boycephoto

« Reply #43 on: 15 Jul 2009, 03:19 am »
Hi Andy,

Please tell me more.  What power supply do you have in your LP-12? Do you have a high or low out put Grado.

I had a Grado Signature 7 back in the early 80's with a basic power supply in the Linn.  The closer the arm/cartridge (Ittock) got the the center of the record the louder the hum.  (the closer it got to the motor) 

You have definately peaked my interest.

Thanks,
Dave

andyr

« Reply #44 on: 15 Jul 2009, 04:00 am »
Hi Andy,

Please tell me more.  What power supply do you have in your LP-12? Do you have a high or low out put Grado.

I had a Grado Signature 7 back in the early 80's with a basic power supply in the Linn.  The closer the arm/cartridge (Ittock) got the the center of the record the louder the hum.  (the closer it got to the motor) 

You have definately peaked my interest.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes, I've heard of that happening ... but I've never experienced it.

My Grado Reference Platinum is 5mV output.  I have a Lingo1 powering my LP12.  The motor is the original (c. 1979) unless I had a new motor with the Cirkus or spring upgrade during the early 90s.

Regards,

Andy

JohnR

« Reply #45 on: 15 Jul 2009, 09:05 am »
John R., if you like I have a Goldring G1012 that came off my Music Hall MMF-5, it has very low hours on it and you can have it if you like. It's a MM cart. The only catch is I have to find it and my basement is currently a mess due to construction of a shop. I do have an idea of where it may be tho.

Awesome  :hyper:  The fourth stone has been located! Let the fifth element burst forth!!!

Thank you Mike :) I'll PM you. No rush - intercosmic deliveries are scheduled for September :D

mgalusha

« Reply #46 on: 15 Jul 2009, 05:59 pm »
Happy to help. I ran across it when I was clearing out all the stuff where they built the shop.