Squeezebox

floresjc

Re: Squeezebox
« Reply #140 on: 17 Jul 2009, 03:27 am »
I'm not exactly sure what functionality the duet adds over the classic. I was planning on getting the classic, but the only difference seems to be some sort of fancy remote. Perhaps you can chime in on which is better, or at least what the differences are. Haven't had time to sit and research it much. With the AVA DAC I'm planning on going coax.

Nuance

« Reply #141 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:20 am »
The difference is pretty much the remote, but the DAC is different too (not for the better, though).  Since you'll be using an outboard DAC, that isn't an issue.  It's mainly the remote, which just makes things a ton easier IMO. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #142 on: 17 Jul 2009, 04:28 am »
Unless you already have an iTouch or iPhone, then the remote is redundant.

TomQ

« Reply #143 on: 17 Jul 2009, 07:22 am »
I also saw the SB at Jim's when I bought a set of H3's place +CC and surrounds. I use an iMac and time capsule to send wireless signal, then coax to an VanA DAC ultra, then to Integra 9.8 via the stereo inputs using direct processing mode, to  Halo A51, then to the H3's.
Had a listening party, SB direct coax to the Integra, SB analog to the Integra, and then the SB to the DAC.
all using the wireless from the iMAC, copied in apple lossless.
We also compared a Marantz 5001 using same conections. all agreed best sound was with the SB to the VanA DAC. Interestingly,  the SB sounded better than the CD playing in the Marantz.
also I use a Harmony remote 880 to control the SB.

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #144 on: 17 Jul 2009, 01:48 pm »
Did you compare the 1) iMac/Time Capsule/SB/AVA DAC to 2) IMac/toslink-to-coax/AVA DAC? 

TomQ

« Reply #145 on: 20 Jul 2009, 03:14 am »
No, because my iMac is up stairs in my study hooked up to the time capusle/printer etc, so it would have involved alot of unhooking just to compare. But I really like the sound fom the SB direct to the H3's only 2 channel. TQ

bigbwb

« Reply #146 on: 21 Jul 2009, 01:08 am »
well i guess its time for the OP to chime in. So I ponied up and bought an Insight DAC. I'm leaning toward using the squeezebox with the coax out like Jim does. The other option is the airpor express, but there's a lot of pieces in that chain. Like mini-optical to optical, optical to coax, then the DAC. So while it might be nice to stay all in iTunes, not sure all those converters are worth it, or if it would degrade anything. I still got time to figure it out.
I think you'll be very happy with the Insight DAC paired with the Squeezebox.  But as I learned from a very knowledgeable man, do not use the toslink optical digital out of the squeezebox; use the coax.  Also, are you going with the Duet or the Classic if you go the SB route?

For the record, I picked up that cheap Parts Express power supply that Wayne recommended to use with the Duet.  I am connected via the analogs of the SB, and it did in fact make a difference.  I dunno how it will effect connecting optically, but using the analogs the noise floor is lower and everything is just clearer and cleaner.  I've spoken to Wayne at Bolder cable and will be sending it to him when I can afford the $100 modification he does to it, as well as the custom cable he'll make so I don't have to use that stupid cheap spade connection that is used with the PE power supply (the custom cable is another $50).  Finally, I will be sending in my SB for the enthusiast analog mods sometime down the road.  I've read in these AC forums that the modified SB is better than some of the best DAC's around, and for less money to boot. 

Here is a link to the upgrade info in case anyone is interested, as well as a beta tester's opinion of Wayne's modded Parts Express power supply.  It's a great value for those who cannot swing the more expensive PSU's. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69738.0

Brandon,

Interesting find on the $20 upgrade to the SB.  I assume this will work on the classic SB I own, correct?  Might be worth the small entry fee!

floresjc

« Reply #147 on: 21 Jul 2009, 03:17 am »
No iPhone for me, I have verizon. I might get the duet if the remote really is worth it. The "transport" section isn't that important from what I can tell on here on Classic vs Duet. As long as I use coax to the AVA DAC, they should sound about the same, unless some other section of the machine butchers the signal, which I haven't seen anything about that. I just don't have the money right now to buy a pimped out Squeezebox analog mod, and since I have that DAC its not really worth it to go that route. Seeing as Jim demos on a classic and a coax connect to AVA, it should be fine ;)

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #148 on: 21 Jul 2009, 03:24 am »
Display can have impacts on the output. Duet doesn't have this issue.  In either case the PS makes a huge difference.

Bryan

Nuance

« Reply #149 on: 21 Jul 2009, 03:44 am »
No iPhone for me, I have verizon. I might get the duet if the remote really is worth it. The "transport" section isn't that important from what I can tell on here on Classic vs Duet. As long as I use coax to the AVA DAC, they should sound about the same, unless some other section of the machine butchers the signal, which I haven't seen anything about that. I just don't have the money right now to buy a pimped out Squeezebox analog mod, and since I have that DAC its not really worth it to go that route. Seeing as Jim demos on a classic and a coax connect to AVA, it should be fine ;)
I agree with you.  I think if I already had the DAC I wouldn't get the mods, but I don't have one so it will be one or the other for me, but not both. 

If you're like me and don't want to strain to see the display or want to walk around with the music going in the background sometimes, the remote is worth it (I believe it's RF, so it works anywhere).  It's also great if you have multiple receivers around the house. 
Brandon,

Interesting find on the $20 upgrade to the SB.  I assume this will work on the classic SB I own, correct?  Might be worth the small entry fee!
You'll have to check to see what the voltage and amperage is of the SB3 Classic.  You can switch the PSU between a number of different voltage settings from 3 to 12, but your PSU might be a different voltage.  It should say on the PSU itself. 

Edit:  I believe your power supply is 5 vdc, so I dunno if it will work.  You can have Wayne modify it for you to work, though.  It would cost $100, which includes a full upgrade of internals, and another $50 if you want a custom cable instead of those stupid $3.50 spade positive/negative leads that you have to purchase with it (which is what I am using now). 

This what I am talking about when I say the crappy cable:

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 04:15 pm by Nuance »

floresjc

« Reply #150 on: 21 Jul 2009, 03:57 pm »
I think I'm looking at getting the remote then. I'd love to have the ability to see what's playing up close, and have the RF capability to wander around my main floor (where my HT3's are going). I'm not going to be 5 ft infront of the SB all the time, in fact, almost never.

Nuance

« Reply #151 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:17 pm »
^ Cool deal.  Give me a shout if you need any assitance setting it up.  It's pretty easy, but sometimes the online squeeze server won't allow the remote software update (only happened once since I got the thing).  If that does occur, you just download the update to a little SD card and insert it behind the remote's battery.  Then you just update from the card instead of wirelessly.

I look forward to your impressions.  I love the SB and will NEVER go back to a transport.  :)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #152 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:29 pm »
I think I'm looking at getting the remote then. I'd love to have the ability to see what's playing up close, and have the RF capability to wander around my main floor (where my HT3's are going). I'm not going to be 5 ft infront of the SB all the time, in fact, almost never.

I know it is a little more expensive than the remote and a little bigger, but I would recommend going with a Netbook instead of the remote.

Not only do you get a bigger screen and better performance (the remote with a display is a pig - especially if you have a large music collection), but you have a laptop that can surf the web, read e-mail, etc...

A great Netbook is the newest release from Asus (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1005ha/4505-3121_7-33698049.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody)

I will be getting one shortly.

George

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #153 on: 21 Jul 2009, 07:00 pm »
It's a great little gadget.  :thumb:  I got one from buydig and they threw in a 2 GB memory module to replace the stock 1 GB unit.  I am setting it up via network to control my audio PC. 

johsti

« Reply #154 on: 21 Jul 2009, 09:40 pm »

I know it is a little more expensive than the remote and a little bigger, but I would recommend going with a Netbook instead of the remote.

Not only do you get a bigger screen and better performance (the remote with a display is a pig - especially if you have a large music collection), but you have a laptop that can surf the web, read e-mail, etc...

A great Netbook is the newest release from Asus (http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-eee-pc-1005ha/4505-3121_7-33698049.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody)

George

Make sure the netbook is capable of displaying the correct resolution for Squeezeplay.  I have an MSI Wind netbook and the native resolution (1024x600) cuts off the bottom of the screen.  It can be pretty frustrating, so I mostly use the duet controller instead.

There are hacks available, but the screen won't look as sharp.  There must be a fix for this, but I don't know what it is. 

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #155 on: 21 Jul 2009, 10:14 pm »

George

Make sure the netbook is capable of displaying the correct resolution for Squeezeplay.  I have an MSI Wind netbook and the native resolution (1024x600) cuts off the bottom of the screen.  It can be pretty frustrating, so I mostly use the duet controller instead.

There are hacks available, but the screen won't look as sharp.  There must be a fix for this, but I don't know what it is.
Have you tried using the Nokia skin native to Squeeze Center?  It should work.

intamin22

« Reply #156 on: 28 Jul 2009, 02:09 am »
I'm well behind on this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked, but I was thinking about getting a classic and an external hard drive, storing my music to the hard drive, and streaming them to the classic. This would work correct? I'm mostly doing this for a convenience/parties aspect, as I have a cd player/preamp (NAD M5, parasound p3) that I greatly enjoy. Thanks, and again, sorry if that's been answered.

Nuance

« Reply #157 on: 28 Jul 2009, 02:30 am »
I'm well behind on this thread, so I apologize if this has been asked, but I was thinking about getting a classic and an external hard drive, storing my music to the hard drive, and streaming them to the classic. This would work correct? I'm mostly doing this for a convenience/parties aspect, as I have a cd player/preamp (NAD M5, parasound p3) that I greatly enjoy. Thanks, and again, sorry if that's been answered.
Yes, it works great.  It's exactly what I do, but I have the Duet.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #158 on: 28 Jul 2009, 03:48 am »
Yes, it works great.  It's exactly what I do, but I have the Duet.

How do you do this without a pc?  A classic and a hard drive?  not a NAS.... :scratch:

Nuance

« Reply #159 on: 28 Jul 2009, 06:56 am »
Oh no, no...I assumed the PC was part of the equation.  I have a PC, of course.  I guess you could run linux or something on the hard drive or boot off a flash drive if the hard drive has a usb connection.  But yeah, PC or MAC required.  ;)