My First Topic-What to Do

1oldguy

Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #160 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:15 pm »
Hi Werd

My Digital camera is out of action.Other wise I'd take a pick.
The amp used is a Bryston BP26DA.I am pluged directly into two spanking new 20 amp circuits.

1oldguy

« Reply #161 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:19 pm »
Hi Keith

I'll send you my ph and address now.I honestly was expecting more power down low.I did try it with the head phones.Got the same impression.
Thank you for helping out.It's good to have someone with more experience than myself actually hear the system.

KeithA

« Reply #162 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:25 pm »
Hi Keith

I'll send you my ph and address now.I honestly was expecting more power down low.I did try it with the head phones.Got the same impression.
Thank you for helping out.It's good to have someone with more experience than myself actually hear the system.

We'll have a look see when I get back. I'll bring along a few recordings that I know sound great and we'll give it a spin.

Keith

werd

« Reply #163 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:20 pm »
Hi wog1

Just sit back and enjoy it. its going to get alot better as time goes on. one thing for sure is the setup you have is going to teach you alot about recordings and highend gear. what it is doing right now is wiping away any misconceptions you had about the caliber of gear you have, and we've all been through this. i mention earlier that its a shocker for many but the gear you have is very neutral. but neutral means very musical and uncolored.

Give it a couple of months and go back to your radio shack stuff and you'll be going  :duh: holy smokes is that stuff crap.

p.s make sure your pre isnt set for mono as very often thins out the soundstage, and your pre has a mono switch i believe.

1oldguy

« Reply #164 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:39 pm »
Hi Werd

I can't seem to find a mono switch on the unit. :duh: :?

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 08:37 pm by 1oldguy »

srb

« Reply #165 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:53 pm »
I did try it with the head phones. Got the same impression.

Listening with the headphones and having the same impression (if they are decent full-range phones) takes the amplifiers and speakers out of the equation.  Now you are just listening to CD player > preamp > headphones.

Perhaps Keith has a source and/or preamp he could bring along for swap out troubleshooting.  I still suspect something may be not quite right with the loaner preamp, but I'm sure this will get sorted out in the next few days.

Hang in there.

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #166 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:57 pm »
With the volume down low there is very little body to the music.have to turn it up a bit to really get  a fuller sound.
You may be right with the pre amp .......Anything is possible after all.
I will mention it to keith if he has a pre amp to try...glad you thought of that.

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #167 on: 15 Aug 2009, 08:59 pm »
This is odd?I have Enigma playing in the background and it was in sync with werds "duh" smiley in his last post - I digress, anyway?

New wall circuits? Are they wired up properly? Try using different plugs in the house - when we move into new homes, we have a go - no go plug tester to ensure proper receptical wiring.

I auditioned a new 7B squared / BP26 / BCD-1 with JBL 1400s and the system was awesome - even with a variety of music. I know that this is very frustrating for you, but perhaps something simple has being overlooked.

I wish you all the best...

1oldguy

« Reply #168 on: 15 Aug 2009, 09:12 pm »
HI

Yes the  20 amp outlets were put in a few days ago.He did test them before he left.
I do have the option of pluging it into different outlets but they are only 15A.

werd

« Reply #169 on: 15 Aug 2009, 09:21 pm »
Hi 1wog

whats it sound like loud, with a little juice? you like reggae, put some of that on and turn it up ..... report back   :D

SF

« Reply #170 on: 15 Aug 2009, 09:22 pm »
1oldguy;
I have to say, as with others, that your gear should sound awesome regardless of break-in or low-volume.
Do you mind putting into words your set-up from plug to speakers, including colours of jacks (given the problem with the cable you previously mentioned)  etc. You have a lot of gear and I have forgotten what you have wired so far. You really should be blown away and certainly not disappointed. We might be able to help you better if you detail your wiring.
Monday is long time away and you deserve to enjoy your music now.
SF

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #171 on: 15 Aug 2009, 10:09 pm »
I concur with SF. You should be hearing a very brilliant sound, to say the least. I too wonder if something is amiss in the setup.  :scratch:

b5pt9

« Reply #172 on: 15 Aug 2009, 10:20 pm »
I've been following this thread and wasn't going to comment due to the subjective nature.  However my thoughts have been very similar to SF and Vegasdave and I expect something is not correct in the setup or equipment.

1oldguy

« Reply #173 on: 15 Aug 2009, 11:40 pm »
Hi guys

I have the amps set to balanced.At 29 DB as I have the pro version of the amps.I have the bp26 connected to the 1st output on the power unit..And right next to the the power input on the BP26 brain are where the the 2 XLR are connected each one going into each 7B.
I do wonder about the switch on the 7B pro version.Wondering if the amps giving me full power or are turned down?Again only the pro model that you can adjust the power output.The cd player is connected with rca to the left and right on the bp26.
I have the jumpers going from the bottom using the spade to the top of each binding post.One to the left and one to the right.(Not crossing each other).

werd

« Reply #174 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:04 am »
Hi guys

I have the amps set to balanced.At 29 DB as I have the pro version of the amps.I have the bp26 connected to the 1st output on the power unit..And right next to the the power input on the BP26 brain are where the the 2 XLR are connected each one going into each 7B.
I do wonder about the switch on the 7B pro version.Wondering if the amps giving me full power or are turned down?Again only the pro model that you can adjust the power output.The cd player is connected with rca to the left and right on the bp26.
I have the jumpers going from the bottom using the spade to the top of each binding post.One to the left and one to the right.(Not crossing each other).

Hello

oh you have the pro version.  Those come in parallel or series config dont they? i am pretty sure the sound you are hearing is an incorrect setting on the back of your amp. or an incorrect speaker wire configure out the back of your amp. this sounds fixable, you should probably wait till somebody comes and give you a hand and gets it all sorted for you.

KeithA

« Reply #175 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:09 am »
Hi guys

Hello

oh you have the pro version.  Those come in parallel or series config dont they? i am pretty sure the sound you are hearing is an incorrect setting on the back of your amp. or an incorrect speaker wire configure out the back of your amp. this sounds fixable, you should probably wait till somebody comes and give you a hand and gets it all sorted for you.

Any of those amps can be special ordered in series version depending on desired load to drive. The pro version has a volume attentuator that can go from 0 to -14db, I believe. That's the main difference, I think.

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #176 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:14 am »
Brandon has the Series (standard version) of the 7B's and the gain controls come factory set at the fully clockwise position. 

james

werd

« Reply #177 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:18 am »
Hi guys

Hello

Any of those amps can be special ordered in series version depending on desired load to drive. The pro version has a volume attentuator that can go from 0 to -14db, I believe. That's the main difference, I think.

Keith

yes i am not sure either. i just seen a pic of the back of a pro 7b(could be an older one) that has a parallel series switch and also has two pairs of positive/neg speaker binding posts. i dont know what they look like now but it might be similar.... i dont know

srb

« Reply #178 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:21 am »
The Bryston 7BSST Manual says for actively balanced source to use the 2V/-23dB setting.

4. Input Sensitivity (Gain) Switch. The optimum gain setting will depend upon the source pre-amp operating level, and or personal preference.
    The 1v setting is used when the source is single-ended, or from a transformer coupled balanced
source.
    This is the home theatre setting for single ended
or un-balanced operation.
    The 1v setting provides the most amplifier gain - 29 dB. (1v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) (noise -110 dB)

The 2v setting is used when the sources output is actively Balanced.
    This is the home theatre
setting for balanced operation Or use this setting with any systems where
    the volume control rotation is limited to the bottom half of the control or less.
    The 2v setting provides an amplifier gain - 23 dB. ( 2v in = 100w @ 8 ohms.) ( noise -113 dB )

There is also a level control on the pro models which will attenuate (decrease) the output
  5. Level Control. (pro models only) The level control will attenuate the input signal level from 0dB through -14dB

You might want to try the 2V/-23dB switch position (switch with the power off), and make sure that the level controls are all the way up (not attenuated).

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #179 on: 16 Aug 2009, 12:25 am »
I didn't see a series switch on mine and there is only one set of binding posts.
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 08:38 pm by 1oldguy »