My First Topic-What to Do

1oldguy

Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #140 on: 14 Aug 2009, 11:56 pm »
Well I've run into  a little snag as they like to say here on the rock.
One of the Speaker cables on the spade end was made with the bulging part on the opposite side.Therefore preventing me from hooKing it up to the amp.The other cable is fine.
But if I flip it around I can get it to fit ,albeit with the red spade on the black/Negative  binding post.I take it as long as I switch the speaker end so that the red is on the black post I should be fine?

To be clear I will have positive with positive and negative with negative.Just that the colors are not corresponding.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 15 Aug 2009, 12:30 am »
That will work.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #142 on: 15 Aug 2009, 12:34 am »
Thanks James

Just want to be cautious.

1oldguy

« Reply #143 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:19 am »
Hooked it up ,sounded like the speakers weren't getting anywhere near the power they needed.Thin as in transistor radio thin.
Back to the drawing board.

1oldguy

« Reply #144 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:42 am »
Well just tried the other set of bindings posts on the speakers and this this all I got was mud.This is odd to say the least.

srb

« Reply #145 on: 15 Aug 2009, 03:32 am »
Hi Brandon,

If you're not bi-wiring, it sounds like you don't have the jumper in place between the low and high speaker binding posts.

On your hookup to first set of speaker posts, you said transistor radio thin, as if you were only powering the tweeter/midrange.

Then you said you tried the other set of posts and got mud, as if you were powering the woofer only this time.

Could that be it, that the jumpers are not installed (and you're not using bi-wires)?

Steve

1oldguy

« Reply #146 on: 15 Aug 2009, 09:37 am »
HI SRB

I didn't use them as the guy from tek support from B&W said all I had to do was use one set of binding posts and that was it.I did explain to him that I am new to hi end.I'm just using a left and right for speaker wire.

1oldguy

« Reply #147 on: 15 Aug 2009, 10:10 am »
 :duh:
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 08:35 pm by 1oldguy »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #148 on: 15 Aug 2009, 11:04 am »
Hi Brandon,

Maybe have the dealer come over to have a look- there is obviously something a-miss.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #149 on: 15 Aug 2009, 12:13 pm »
Hi James

I called ...I was told on Monday to call back.I almost smiled when I first heard  it.I can't see what can be done to make it any different but I've waited this long I will at least give the guys a chance to solve this.If not It will be for sale very shortly.
If they can't get this worked out i will return the cables with the preamp.
Regardless if the gear works out for me or not I do thank you for helping me out like you have.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #150 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:02 pm »
Brandon,

Do you have a set of headphones - if so try them on the preamp.

james

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #151 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:18 pm »
This system should sound phenomenal, something is definitely amiss - do you notice a difference between the audition and now that you have the equipment at home?

Be well

1oldguy

« Reply #152 on: 15 Aug 2009, 01:22 pm »
Hi

I will go try the  headphones.
As for the audition there wasn't any.No-one carries this kind of gear here where I live.So it was a matter of reading reviews which lead me to the gear I now have.

1oldguy

« Reply #153 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:27 pm »
Haven't been able to find the Headphone connector I need at the moment so still not sure about the sound at least going in to the preamp.

KeithA

« Reply #154 on: 15 Aug 2009, 03:52 pm »
Well I've used the jumpers.At least now I'm getting the full sound.But I can't say things are good.My old radioshack system was better.So clearly something isn't jiving.Hi end audio has to be better than this.I did hear a 700 series speaker that was much better.
After all i've done to get to this point I just don't get it.If this is has good as it gets then look out for some major audio gear for sale.lol.

Hey Brandon

I'm the guy you were talking to last fall at West End Electronics about the Nautilus speakers (as well, the conversation led to the fact that I was powering my Nautilus 804s with Bryston).

I was contemplating a set of 802s at the time, but I figured they would over-power my 14' by 16' room :wink:

The 7B and the 802s should sound great. I have a 14B powering a set of 804s and it sounds great. I will caveat that with the same thing I mentioned to you last fall, though. Once you get into high-end territory, the system is going to give you exactly what you put into it.

For example, you mention that your old Radio Shack system sounded better. What music are you listening to through the new system? For example, I'm a huge Van Halen fan. I never listen to Van Halen on my system because frankly most of its sounds like crap! Same goes for AC/DC, Rush (a lot of it), etc. That stuff is just not well recorded. I listen to that stuff in the car and on my computer with a set of powered mini-monitors. It just sounds better there. The main system just gives back what's exactly there...mostly thin recordings. On the computer and in the car, the bass in enhanced with distortion, etc, so it sounds fuller.

Now, if you put on something that is well recorded (Alison Krauss comes to mind for me), well, she should sound like she's standing directly between your two speakers and you should be able to hear her breathe :wink:

So assuming you have your system set up correctly now, which should be pretty simple with just a CD player, what music are you listening to? Try something that is superbly recorded and see how things go.

Keith

werd

« Reply #155 on: 15 Aug 2009, 05:41 pm »
Hi 1wiseoldguy

Dont panic here. The good news here is Bryston is extremely neutral gear and can be an extreme shock to the senses at first. it reminds me of those new tv's that you see on display at those box stores. They punch up the temp output to make them look more bright so to get your buying attention. once you get it home these tv's need to be turned down for proper viewing temperature. Bryston is like the tv at home with the temp turned down, it being  very neutral sounding. in other words they take time getting used to. Try and keep your system playing at a reasonable volume for a while, like a couple of weeks to get it worked in.

what source are you using right now, just out of curiosity? Also the square series amps will be an excellent match with B@w speaks.

p.s my dam caps are intermittant on this stupid keyboard and i dont always get capital letters...  :lol:

1oldguy

« Reply #156 on: 15 Aug 2009, 06:40 pm »
Hi Keith

I listen to a variety of music Jazz,Blues,Rock,Reggae and more.No hip hop or rap though.
If you are in town you are welcome to drop by and hear it.Might be a good to get your impression.P.M me if you like and I'll give you my address if possible with ph number.

« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2009, 08:36 pm by 1oldguy »

werd

« Reply #157 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:01 pm »
Hi Keith

I listen to a variety of music Jazz,Blues,Rock,Reggae and more.No hip hop or rap though.
If you are in town you are welcome to drop by and hear it.Might be a good to get your impression.P.M me if you like and I'll give you my address if possible with ph number.

Hi Weird

The feeling I have is too lean.I do understand the speakers are brand new along with the amps.
Not sure I feel so wise at this point.I just have to play this out.

Sounds like classic break-in issues. Try playing some reggae, and break those bass drivers in,for awhile but keep your system playing tunes as much as possible. Send a pic of the back of your speaks if you have a chance, i would like to see how you have your speak cable hooked up.

srb

« Reply #158 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:03 pm »
It wouldn't hurt to double check and make sure the speakers are wired in phase with each other so that you're not getting any low frequency cancellations.

The other question mark is the loaner preamp.  Is this a stereo preamp or a surround sound processor?  Also maybe try a different input on the unit.

Are you plugged directly into your new circuits, or are you first plugged into some kind of power conditioner which could possibly limit current?

The Bryston amps and CD player are state of the art.  While speakers are more subject to personal tastes, many feel the B&W 802s are where the B&W "magic" starts due to the "baffle-less" Marlan midrange housing.

Steve

KeithA

« Reply #159 on: 15 Aug 2009, 07:14 pm »
Hi Keith

Hi Weird

The feeling I have is too lean.I do understand the speakers are brand new along with the amps.
Not sure I feel so wise at this point.I just have to play this out.

Brandon

I'm actually out of town this weekend, but will be back in St. John's tomorrow evening. I'll PM you so you can give me your address and contact info. I'll pop by for a listen when I get back. As well, I'll ensure this are set up properly.

However, your comments about 'lean' are pretty much what I would expect you to say. It's the first thing you'll find 'missing' is bottom end or bass. Most time its because its not really on the recordings, like I said earlier. Now what you are hearing is exactly what's there. Now, your gear may still not be working properly or set up properly, but that will need to be checked out.

As far as bass goes, if it's in the recording the new system should have bass like a piston firing a 50-lb bowling ball. It should be fast and not bloated, but potent enough to shake pictures off the wall :wink:

Keith