OB-7 Plus (w direct servo) vs. Venue?

Golden

OB-7 Plus (w direct servo) vs. Venue?
« on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:35 pm »
Hi All,

I am just toying around with the idea of putting a direct servo woofer into the OB-7 Plus frame, modified for the increased air volume required by the servo woofers. Even though the the OB-7 Plus is a sealed sub design, and the Venue is OB, how different would the sound characteristics between the two be?  Is this even an answerable question, considering such different designs?  This would be for a dedicated stereo listening setup.

Also, since I have a very constrained rooms size to work with, and the towers would basically be nestled very near the side and rear walls.  Would this automatically remove the OB sub design as an option?  It's a trade off, as I would greatly prefer the reduced SPL (and vibrations) offered by the OB subs.

I realize this is a newb question that probably has a pretty subjective answer!  I'm just trying to wrap my head around all the new designs that Danny offers :)  Looking forward to learning from you all's experience.

Thanks!

HT cOz

Re: OB-7 Plus (w direct servo) vs. Venue?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:13 pm »
While both of those speakers are fantastic neither one will perform well if they are placed very near the side and rear walls.
The reason being that you have to have enough space so that the back wave will reflect off those walls with enoght time delay so that the ear will be able to tell that they are echos and not smeared together with the front wave.
With those limitations, I would consider a box speaker such as a Neo model.

The best way to look at it is to think of the room/speaker etc as one system.

Hope this helps

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2009, 08:31 pm »
HT cOz really hit the nail on the head.

You need to at least get the front baffle out three feet from the wall with either of these.

The OB-7 plus is going to have some issues with the close side walls in the lower ranges. While the midrange will be transparent, the bass response could easily load the room.

The Venue (more on that name later  :( ) on the other hand will not load the room, and will give you the best chance of making this work well. At most you may need to put a tube trap in the rear corners and possibly so treatment to the wall behind the speakers.

Also, once you go all open baffle in the bottom end then it is really hard to go back to anything else. 

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2009, 01:31 am »
I have my Venues about 5' from the back wall and close to 4' from the sides....I have a lot of
hrs on them now.....the best word I can use is addicting, these are amazing.

And yes I have 4 decent subs in my systems.....the servos are by far the best.

I am currently building a dedicated 2 ch room 25'x16'......I will need some inputs on treatments,
hope you guys can help me out in about 4-6 weeks......... :)

Perry

Golden

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:17 pm »
Yeah, the placement issue will hopefully only be temporary, but it is something I have to factor in.  I was assuming wall treatments, but hadn't thought of tube traps.  Haha, in fact, I'm not sure I know what a tube trap is, would someone fill in the blank for me?  Also, what wall treatment retailers would you all suggest?  I have some ideas from other forums, but I find this one very informative.

Just for conversation sake, even though I am planning on these (whether I go the OB-7 or Venue route) being a dedicated stereo setup for music, how do the Venues fair as fronts in a HT setup?  What center and surrounds would be recommended and well matched?  This is more a curiosity thing I was wondering, but I'd love to hear peoples thoughts.

Golden

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:19 pm »
Also, I can't seem to find the Venue's produce page on Danny's website, could someone point it out to me?  Thanks!

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:40 pm »
Here is one example of a tube bass trap.  http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/bass-trap-build.html

Basically you have a tube filled with some medium that will absorb the standing waves.  I don't think I would use sand as it is so heavy, but I could see buying a memory foam bed topper and stuffing into one of these tubes.

The Venue would make great HT speakers because they are efficient and are very dynamic.  If you want a killer HT you need speakers that can do dynamic shifts in volume with ease.  The Venues fit that bill perfectly.  As for a center channel you could do a box variation using same coaxial speaker that the Venues use.  Surround can be handled with Danny's current RS speakers.  They use the same tweeter as the Venue does for ambiance and should work well together.

This is all somewhat theoretical because no one has done this combo yet, but nothing screams mismatch to me.  Actually if I had the $$$ this is what I would do with my room.  However, my plan of AV3/ Neo towers and center with OB Sub should be quiet nice in its own right.  I'm not sure I can swing the RS speakers right away and may end up using some Mirage in ceiling speakers that my father in law has in his closet.  Hard to be free! lol

Good Luck
Robert

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:23 pm »
Here is how I made my tube traps: http://www.gr-research.com/foam.shtm

Don't miss the funny story at the end.

I hit a snag on the Venue name. I had two different people (One US patent attorney) do a trademark search and nothing came up.

Then after filing for it, it was rejected because JBL had a trademark on that name. NOW (nothing before) if you do a trademark search on it, it comes up as belonging to JBL (Harmon International).

So I may be back to the drawing board on the name. I have a few ideas though.

I was waiting on that to go through and also waiting (still waiting) on finished enclosures from Eric, so I can get some really good looking finished pics up. Then I will get it up on the site.

kyrill

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:38 pm »
hi Danny yr link above cannot be opened by Firefox. a google search (.shtm)  does not deliver either,  is maybe a letter missing?

Danny Richie

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:49 pm »
You are correct. I loaded Firefox and gave it a try and it would not open it. Internet Explorer opened it just fine. Try it with IE.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2009, 04:57 pm »
that is a funny story.  People have no clue about this craziness...

Golden

« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2009, 09:51 pm »
Hmmm, not sure if the tube traps would be well received!  Very much looking forward to seeing what Eric puts together for you, as well as the webpage.  Is there a link anywhere for Venue... errr... OB flatpacks?

persisting1

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2009, 11:06 pm »
Ha  :rotflmao:

That's one funny story.

Danny do you think you can change the type of file?

I'm not getting any pictures.

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2009, 02:37 am »
Is there a link anywhere for Venue... errr... OB flatpacks?

Flat pack pricing and stuff: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=61023.160

Danny do you think you can change the type of file?

I'm not getting any pictures.

That's odd. They are .jpg pics.

http://www.gr-research.com/images/4ft.jpg

http://www.gr-research.com/images/8ft2.jpg

http://www.gr-research.com/images/fin.jpg