Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.

hotroady

Re: Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jun 2009, 12:14 am »
I realize they go up and down together with voltage, but never noticed this difference between channels. I reset bias about 3 hrs ago 1.44, 1.44, 'cuz it was @1.50, 1.56@118v. Now it was 1.61, 1.71@118v. I'm setting it a little low to compensate for voltage going up to 120, later in evening. 1.56 is the target voltage. Perhaps its the one tube that I had in the Fisher when it screamed a death tone from a bias filter cap. I'll switch tubes to see what happens. Frank checked out my U70, on a scope, yesterday....didn't detect anything wrong with the unit. Wayner, I tried the 4ohm leads off the amp for my Martin Logans, seemed a little more poop in upper bass where I need it on my Claritys. 6ohm drivers.

hotroady

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jun 2009, 01:35 am »
wow! I just switched to back up to 2 el cheapo Electro Harmonix on one side. They have bass, but all the gains have disappeared...it should be relabeled Dullard to compete with relabeled Mullard. Just replaced the suspect tube with EL and improvement came back. Showed how superior a GE fat bottle is, even old and wounded! I would go to JJ's instead of EL's, given a choice. I should replace the EL, temporary, to finish my evaluation. I am really impressed with the update!....................................... .......................... Frank, Please listen to different tubes for your new U70. The U70 just became sensitive to output tubes, and EL's just aren't up to it. I can bring over 2 GE's and you can prove this to yourself.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #62 on: 17 Jun 2009, 03:57 am »
Frank,
after all the intriguing info, it would be great to see the pics of the new U70 here and on the your site.
thanks

cdorval1

« Reply #63 on: 17 Jun 2009, 04:05 am »
I've been listening to my updated U70 for the last three hours, after getting it back from the shop I took it to.   It's fed by a T8 and we're listening to Salk HT3s.  It's amazing.  I know the amp is underpowered for the speakers, but man oh man.  We're listening at just barely conversation-blocking level.  There is a very pleasing balance, spectacular imaging, much better bass and a wide soundstage.  I really don't want to get up.

Craig

Wayner

« Reply #64 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:36 am »
Frank wants me to hook my U70 up to MartinLogans. I think I will do this today, like this morning. I will need to find some jumpers as I'm bi-wired. I let you all know how that works.

Wayner

turkey

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jun 2009, 01:39 pm »
I will need to find some jumpers as I'm bi-wired.

Please keep the personal stuff to yourself. :)

Wayner

« Reply #66 on: 17 Jun 2009, 02:46 pm »
Yeah, I thought it sounded funny, too Turkey! :)

Wayner

hotroady

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jun 2009, 09:56 pm »
I think I will do this today, like this morning. I will need to find some jumpers as I'm bi-wired. I let you all know how that works.

Wayner                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
                                                                            I'm not so sure I want to know; 'how THAT works' but you better not let your wife catch you! :P

Wayner

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:14 pm »
Oh, that's funny.

I sometimes use the "Silver Lake" speak and I get myself into trouble. Rest assured that there aint no weird stuff over here. We are anti-weird. I have not been able to hook up the U70 to the MartinLogans as I would have to do lots of tear-down, rebuild to put the amp into position. Perhaps next week we will do an attempt at it. We're off to Wisconsin to sign Brett Farve to QB the Vikings this year.

Wayner :)

hotroady

« Reply #69 on: 17 Jun 2009, 11:48 pm »
Sorry Wayner! Couldn't resist the opportunity that presented itself. :lol: You're a funny guy....I mean a good, humorous man. Yeah, sign up Farve. I know what you mean about moving gear around, it quickly becomes a major project.

turkey

« Reply #70 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:57 pm »
Oh, that's funny.

I sometimes use the "Silver Lake" speak and I get myself into trouble. Rest assured that there aint no weird stuff over here. We are anti-weird. I have not been able to hook up the U70 to the MartinLogans as I would have to do lots of tear-down, rebuild to put the amp into position. Perhaps next week we will do an attempt at it. We're off to Wisconsin to sign Brett Farve to QB the Vikings this year.

I've never even heard of Brett Farve or the Vikings, so I think I'd rather try out your Martin-Logans. :)

turkey

« Reply #71 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:00 pm »
Oh, that's funny.

I've never even heard of Brett Farve or the Vikings, so I think I'd rather try out your Martin-Logans. :)

I remember now. He's that guy that played for Green Bay and can't figure out if he's retired or not.

I thought he was washed-up. Is he actually going to try to play again?

hotroady

« Reply #72 on: 18 Jun 2009, 01:44 pm »
Yep, first practice yesterday. Lynda Lovelace for is being recruited for kicker, too. She doesn't choke on the long ones.

Wayner

« Reply #73 on: 18 Jun 2009, 04:37 pm »
You guys are too  funny! Why do we have what's his name on the Tonight Show, when we could have you guys?

turkey

« Reply #74 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:17 pm »
You guys are too  funny! Why do we have what's his name on the Tonight Show, when we could have you guys?

Beats me. I think I watched his show once years ago, but it put me to sleep.

hotroady

« Reply #75 on: 18 Jun 2009, 06:53 pm »
It's  good  just to have a laugh with someone, on a forum. Beats arguing. aa

turkey

« Reply #76 on: 18 Jun 2009, 07:01 pm »
It's  good  just to have a laugh with someone, on a forum. Beats arguing. aa

But I'm here for an argument!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

hotroady

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jun 2009, 08:37 pm »
I believe that's being held in room 12A.

hotroady

« Reply #78 on: 19 Jun 2009, 03:35 am »
  I juggled my GE fat bottles around and have normal bias for now, so I can give my impression now.  TiTs!!   Dynamic range expanded. Faster trasients.  Bass is deeper. Excellent midrange. Warmer and more articulate. This a 'lil brute of an amp. Low noise, blacker background.    I compare this amp to my reference Puresonic Quadramatic,   The Quad has a tad more top end extention and sparkle with Telefunken 12x7 smooth longplates, but The U70 sure riegns in the important mid-range. The Quad has dual GZ34 rectifiers, parrallel circuits that make 4-12AX7's into one large triple triodes, automatic bias and a huge power amp and Dyna 70 sized opt's. It has superb bass, whether you measure by SS or tube standards. The new power tranny on the UltraValve should cover the gap further still, but still...not there yet.                                                  The Puresonic could use a revamp, it's basic, stone stock and 45+years old. Frayed, exposed powercord, has it sidelined. Wonder if Frank has ever seen one of these, few people have, very state of the art...back in 1965!           Ordered a quad of JJ 34L's, can't wait to see how much better they will be compared to the Dullards; what a sorry tube..flabby bass, flat mids, with some piercing thrown in at the top.

hotroady

« Reply #79 on: 19 Jun 2009, 07:17 am »
me also thinks the regulated power supply was choking the choke, before it did it's thing for the bass. A window has open, the tonal quality of steel guitar; is a thing of beauty. Notes seem like they have more hang time, than bite when they are supposed too. Its transformed in the dynamic range dept.