Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.

hotroady

Re: Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.
« Reply #100 on: 21 Jun 2009, 07:54 pm »
nice prize!

boycephoto

« Reply #101 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:48 pm »
Hi Frank,

That is just way to cool!!!   What a fathers day gift!.    Wow!!!  I am no sure what to say,

THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH.   

I will give you a call on Monday.

Happy Fathers Day,
Dave

Wayner

« Reply #102 on: 21 Jun 2009, 09:53 pm »
Way to go Dave. I really wanted my UltraSpigot to win. Damn. I never win anything. I was also favoring Intimate, but that was too suggestive. I wonder why my marketing career never took off?

Wayner :)

BrianM

« Reply #103 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm »
So is this UltraValve on sale now? How much?

hotroady

« Reply #104 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:42 pm »
Hotroady,

There is a micro-switch on your tonearm that needs to be adjusted. I had to adjust my Technics SL-Q2. Take the bottom cover off to expose the innards. I used a 5-gallon pail to set the turntable upside down on so you can work on the insides, and not damage the arm. Loosen the switch and move it over a hair. Set the table back on it's base, but don't screw it down and test the new position with a record. You may have to do this a couple of times to get it to lift at the round-out, near the label.

Good luck, but it's not that hard, just be careful. Doing shit like this always puts the stylus in harms way. I'd take the headshell off when fooling around and lock the tonearm down.

Wayner :)
                                                                            hmmm mine appears to be non-adjustable clip in. have to tweek the lever gizmos, but where? something to up slack when I hunted arouind for it. See what happens..hopefully I don't come up with "extra screws".

hotroady

« Reply #105 on: 21 Jun 2009, 10:44 pm »
                                                                                               soon. I do prefer UtraValve to Ultravalve,also.

amphead

« Reply #106 on: 21 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm »
I just did Franks mod which is quite easy to do and it does seem to improve overall resolution.  I am using the U70 to drive a couple of Polk LS19s which take quite a bit of power to get out of their own way.  The U70 is the best amp I have found for these speakers.  Bass is way extended and solid.  Just a super amp.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #107 on: 22 Jun 2009, 02:49 am »
As I recall it is 1599.00. Frank has been taking the orders for a few weeks by now. No pics/info on the AVA website yet  :(

simon wagstaff

« Reply #108 on: 22 Jun 2009, 12:35 pm »
Finished playing with tubes this weekend and thought it was not an exhaustive test I think that I prefer the EL34 to the KT77.  My feelings were confirmed and though it is not scientific I feel like with the EL34 the sound bubble is projected outwards, with the KT77 it is inverted. However, the midrange detail is really remarkable with the KT77 though hard to tell if it is continued with the EL34.

I cannot recommend the new version of the Mullards, I seem to have problems with them. The Teslas seem to be more stable.

But, it is all fun.

boycephoto

« Reply #109 on: 22 Jun 2009, 01:27 pm »
Hey Simon,  Interesting annalysis, are your KT77's JJ or Genalex?   I have used the re-issue Mullard EL34's in my U70 with so-so results, one tube of the quad did not last very long.   SED Winged C's sound really nice, at the moment I have a 2 pair of Mullard xf4's in my U70 and that sounds the best so far.  I have always wondered how Genalex KT77's would sound or Sylvania 6ca7 fat boys.  I think I will just enjoy what I have for now.    Dave

hotroady

« Reply #110 on: 22 Jun 2009, 05:56 pm »
"UltraSpigot"" :duh:...did you and Red Green, have a meeting of the minds, to come up with that one? I dibs UltraSwitch for any new transistor.

avahifi

« Reply #111 on: 22 Jun 2009, 06:33 pm »
It looks like the price of the new Ultravalve amp will be in the $1995 to $2295 range.

The new polished stainless steel chassis and double anodized faceplate are adding to the cost, along with the need for a bigger power transformer to make 40 watts per channel with the unit.

Oh yes, it takes a redesigned circuit board too to get in all the newest ideas I have that seem to work so well.  Tooling costs are not free.

However, it is gonna be the best tube amplifier you have ever heard.  Those who have done the recent Ultimate 70 free upgrade can testify to that I believe.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

simon wagstaff

« Reply #112 on: 22 Jun 2009, 08:06 pm »
Yep, the mullards just don't seem to hold up.  The midrange detail with the JJ KT77s is really remarkable but there is just something about the sound that is well, un-tube like or something stupid like that.  I think the Teslas were the best so far but the KT 77 might just take some getting used to.

Wayner

« Reply #113 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:01 pm »
I may have just had the "Ultimate" vinyl experience ever a few moments ago. It's hotter then hell here in Minnesota and the wife and I were listening to the new David Gilmore LP "On an Island". Anybody that thinks that digital recordings can't sound good on an LP, you are full of shit.

Might be the FINEST recording I have ever heard, at least from the rock industry. Zero surface noise, total star-struck, awesome. The system chain was: ARMod turntable, Rega RB300 arm with AT440MLa cartridge, AVA Insight EC preamp with phono option, AVA U70 with new mod and Dynaco A25XL speakers in the new cabinet.

It's just amazing how vinyl can possibly sound.

Wayner

rcag_ils

« Reply #114 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:24 pm »
I could have told you that, I always prefer listening to one of my turntables than the CDs in my Ultra DAC.

hotroady

« Reply #115 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:07 pm »
yeah, but.                                                                                                          I thought youse was goin ta hitch dem Logans up, next time it rained? :drool:

DeadFish

« Reply #116 on: 22 Jun 2009, 11:34 pm »
Hey Frank!

Thanks a lot for the "recent Ultimate 70 free upgrade".  It seems substantial on my rig, (to the limits of my ears) and I appreciate that you continue to service and support that amp.
I'm not well-versed at soldering through that little hole, but it was worth sweating the work, when you figured it all out for the rest of us at a bargain-basement price!  :wink:

Anybody still 'stradling the fence' about doing this little change, I know I won't look back.

Best Regards!
DeadFish

hotroady

« Reply #117 on: 23 Jun 2009, 12:37 am »
 The Trancendance Pat 5 keeps right up with the upgrade, too!  I put back the full rack of (GE)/Sylvania/RCA 6AC7/EL34 tubes. I don't think even NOS euro types can really 'best' them. In volumes less than half throttle, even the fresh rack of JJ EL34'S will never match the magic of the GE midrange. However..over half throttle..I think the EL34L's, begin to shine. I think the added 20% headroom will be even more noticed in Frank's high horsepower set up. They seemed to stay clean all the way up to the brief time I tried full throttle. This is a powerful tube! I can't really play that loud until the weekends. I've rarely had this unit up to 3/4's before. Line voltage is 113v, with all the air conditioners on..I'm in MN, also. Wonder what you're getting Wayner. This lowers bias enough that I reset, to listen to GE's again. It's always a good idea to shoot some contact cleaner in the sockets and run the pins in and out a couple strokes when rolling tubes!

Dynakitguy

« Reply #118 on: 23 Jun 2009, 01:59 am »

Hi All,
         A somewhat different method of wiring of the (2) red leads from the A-470 output transformers to the single B+ solder pad with the addition of a small two lug terminal strip and connecting jumper. You can also measure your B+ at this jumper as opposed to inserting your VOM probe through the quad cap chassis hole.
I agree, there is a measurable improvement in the performance with this simple modification..Well worth the effort.

Kevin @ Dynakit

hotroady

« Reply #119 on: 23 Jun 2009, 06:29 am »
 :idea:I think a triode mode option should  be considered at the UtraValve price point.....I tried two 6GH8 vintage RCA driver tubes in place of Dumont 6GH8A's. Creamier, relaxed, sweeter tone on piano is real cool! me thinks this a lower mu tube, so you may have to turn that dial up, slightly. Took me awhile to figure this out; must be super quite tube, I got up and got very near field to the 'stats, before I could hear speaker background noise, just hearing the music. this does a really nifty job of cleaning the window that the update opened.:thumb:
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2009, 08:38 am by hotroady »