Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.

avahifi

Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.
« on: 8 Jun 2009, 04:04 pm »
If you have an Ultimate 70, here is all you need to do.

Make sure the amp is cold and unplugged.

Locate the six wires connected to the PC board at the hole in the chassis where the quad filter cap once was located.

Disconnect the two red transformer leads from the eyelets marked RED.

Disconnect the wire from the eyelet marked B+.

Connect the B+ wire to either of the eyelets marked RED.

Connect the two red transformer leads to the eyelet marked B+  (two wires need to go into one hole together).

Readjust bias.

Listen again.  :)

This makes a major sonic improvement by connecting the power to the audio board regulated power supplies after the choke instead of before the choke.

Simple and very effective.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

If you are uncertain of your soldering skills, have someone local do this for you please. We will do it free for you of course, but your cost of round trip shipping will certainly be higher than having a local do it for you and not risk shipping damage.

BrianM

Re: Free major Ultimate 70 amplifier upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:13 pm »
But what if I don't have an Ultimate 70?
« Last Edit: 8 Jun 2009, 11:44 pm by BrianM »

boycephoto

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:23 pm »
Then you better get one! You owe it to yourself!!

BrianM

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:25 pm »
I explained that to my wife already.

boycephoto

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jun 2009, 06:29 pm »
Then she agrees with me... right?

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:39 pm »
I have made the change and the improvements are imeadiate. Better dynamic range and even more liquid top end. Frank is bridging the gap between SS and tube. They are ending up in the same sonic signature. Holographic with the right set-up, plays dynamic at low volumes. That is the test of a truely great power amp. IMHO.

I'll post pictures when the gallery is up and running.

Wayner :)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #6 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:51 pm »
Frank:

Any similar "upgrade" for a Super 70i?

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2009, 02:50 pm »
This update applies only to the Ultimate 70 design, not to the older Super 70.

Frank

rcag_ils

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2009, 05:29 pm »
I'd like to know in scientific engineering terms, why is this wiring configuration making such sonic difference, and not discovered earlier? Other word, please fill us in with the circuit's theory of operation.

avahifi

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:50 pm »
We did not discover it earlier because we discovered it now.  :)

Absolutely no measureable difference in the performance.  Supply rails after regulation were near perfect before, still near perfect.

All this means is that our capability to measure is not as resolving as our capability to hear.  The change makes sense from an engineering standpoint.  The musical improvements make more sense than that to our ears.

Regards,

Frank

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: 9 Jun 2009, 08:51 pm »
This is a major upgrade! I've hooked my Dynacos up to the U70 and it's amazing. Dynamics, location, speed, smooth all that good stuff.

Can anyone post pictures for me?

Art_Chicago

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:24 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNACO-STEREO-70-VAN-ALSTINE-MODIFIED-SUPER-CLEAN-NR_W0QQitemZ330336446570QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce996286a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I am confused on this one.The seller claims it has Ultimate 70 board. What does it mean? The seller also offers a U-70 board in a separate listing. Can the amp be upgraded??
Thanks

Tom Alverson

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:09 am »
That picture is the older Super 70i version.  If you want the latest Ultimate 70 circuits installed, then this is no better than buying a stock ST-70, other than coming with some 6gh8 tubes (instead of 7199's). His other auction for the Ultimate 70 PC  boards really are the latest boards.

Tom

WGH

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:10 am »

Can anyone post pictures for me?

Send them my way, I have plenty of room.
email is in my profile.

bregez

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:37 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNACO-STEREO-70-VAN-ALSTINE-MODIFIED-SUPER-CLEAN-NR_W0QQitemZ330336446570
I am confused on this one.The seller claims it has Ultimate 70 board. What does it mean? The seller also offers a U-70 board in a separate listing. Can the amp be upgraded??
Thanks
Are those 6E5's mounted in the chassis?  I guess that could be cool if they where hooked up.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 04:39 am by bregez »

Art_Chicago

« Reply #15 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:42 am »
That picture is the older Super 70i version.  If you want the latest Ultimate 70 circuits installed, then this is no better than buying a stock ST-70, other than coming with some 6gh8 tubes (instead of 7199's). His other auction for the Ultimate 70 PC  boards really are the latest boards.

Tom
Tom, thank you for the response, but would you please elaborate on the subject? What is the point to install the U-70 board in the ST-70 chassis? Just to use different tubes? Or you think the info is false?  Just trying to understand ... thanks

turkey

« Reply #16 on: 10 Jun 2009, 12:59 pm »

Tom
Tom, thank you for the response, but would you please elaborate on the subject? What is the point to install the U-70 board in the ST-70 chassis? Just to use different tubes? Or you think the info is false?  Just trying to understand ... thanks

The info given by the seller is false since the amp shown in the pictures has an older circuit board - not an Ultimate 70 circuit board. So it's not an Ultimate 70 amp.

If you're planning on buying this to have it upgraded by AVA to be an Ultimate 70, then you should bid no more on it than you would bid on a stock ST-70.

I don't know what the guy has going on there with the power cord and the non-functional magic-eye tubes, so I'd look at this as a hack job. When you combine that with the fact that he says it has problems, I'd pass on it.

For the money you'd spend on this and the Ultimate upgrade, you can probably get an Insight 240 with the Double Die option. I think that would be a better amp and it won't be anywhere near as finicky.

avahifi

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:00 pm »
The unit shown on e-bay is NOT an Ultimate 70, it is an older Super 70 board with some strange non-standard tubes located below the chassis.  I have no idea what it really is, avoid it.

Note that the new U70 board is essentially a drop in replacement for our original Super 70 series board.  Only some lead lengths may need to change.

The U70, with the most recent upgrade described above is a vastly better amp than the original Super 70, in fact I suspect you won't find a more musical amplifier at any price of any design within its power rating, and it performs much more robustly than its power rating. Hard to believe until you hear it.  Pretty amazing and I am not at all sure why.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

WGH

« Reply #18 on: 10 Jun 2009, 01:41 pm »
Here are photos of Wayner's Ultimate 70.

Photos removed because the U70 is a prototype and not a production unit.

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jun 2009, 02:02 pm »
I really screwed up on this one. I forgot I have the proto-type U70 with goofy wiring (it's a proto-type) and the existing boards of the current U70's do not look like mine. Sorry for the screw-up. Your boards will not look like mine. Mine is unique.