Any first hand comparisons of 7se to Evolution Acoustics

McIntos

I have the Evolution Acoustics MM2 or 3 on my list of wants.

I only know of one guy who has done a direct comparison, and he went with the MM3's.

Anyone else compared the them?

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Any first hand comparisons of 7se to Evolution Acoustics
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2009, 04:48 pm »
The EA MM2s should be compared to the VR5 Anniversaries, not the 7se which, by the way, are no longer in production.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 09:26 pm by es347 »

JackD201

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2009, 06:06 pm »
Both excellent but very different animals. It would really be a matter of sonic priorities. Personally I'm not very enamored with speakers that use Accuton (Thiel in EU) Ceramic midrange drivers. They were all the rage for a while but seem to have lost ground once more to other "more conventional" materials. Very fast and very detailed but I've found they please me more on an intellectual level than anything else.

Kevin is a great engineer in his own right but he does have his own "sound" and that's one that differs to a great degree from Albert's.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2009, 06:47 pm »
« Last Edit: 24 May 2009, 09:25 pm by es347 »

disco

• Industry Participant
    • Supra HiFi
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2009, 07:50 pm »
Gavin,

They are not the same person. Trust me on this one. McIntos is a nice guy who is interested in Albert's speakers. I know this as we have spoken.

Scott

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2009, 09:26 pm »
Thanks Scott,

My bad.  I would have bet money on that one.  My apologies to McIntos(h).  So much for conspiracy theories; back to audio.

McIntos

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2009, 09:39 pm »
I know the 7se's are no longer in production, but I saw the used 7se's on audiogon and it made me wonder how they and EA's would compare.  The EA's are on my short list along with VS.

Hi Scott !

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2009, 10:53 pm »
Let's rewind this conversation.  There are at least three members qualified to address this: Joe of VSA, JackD and Scott...guys?  I can add this: my MAC dealer is also an EA dealer.  He recently delivered a pair of the MM2s and he was less than thrilled with their sound.  He also sells ML, Dynaudio, B&W and Magico...I offer that just to perhaps provide perspective.  I plan to invite him out for a listen to my VR5 Anniversaries as soon as I get them somewhat broken in and spiked.  That will provide HIM with perspective!

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2009, 11:01 pm »

Kevin is a great engineer in his own right but he does have his own "sound" and that's one that differs to a great degree from Albert's.
[/quote]

Jack, if you wouldn't mind, could you share exactly what those differences are??

thx. 

Gavin

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2009, 02:33 am »
It's an easier one to answer by looking squarely at their respective choice of midrange drivers. There's no such thing as a perfect driver. There is also no engineer on earth who can make an imperfect driver perfect. I think we can all agree on that one. The choice of drivers especially the one that carries the bulk of the music therefore points squarely at the designers starting point. The designer from that point might tame it or excite it. As far as driver choice goes one favors what is essentially hardened paper on his flagship (VR-11) and the other Ceramic (MM3 and now MMSeven). Both are very sensitive and very stiff but have very audible differences. While an EA is not by any stretch a sonic clone of other speakers that use Accutons like Marten, Kharma, Tidal, Talon and Avalon. These makes all carry the intrinsic quality of very fast transient response, high dynamic range and a sense of see through clarity. I guess the question now is why they don't float MY boat. I have mild ringing in my right ear that makes me more sensitive to buzzing and ringing than most people. While Accuton has eliminated most of the ceramic ringing with the use of strategically placed dots. At least to me and some other reviewers that have noted this on most of the brands mentioned have noted the same ringing. Either the reviewers have more sensitive hearing or perhaps they to suffer what I suffer. In any case, it's there. Some have used careful choice of crossover design to even notch out what they can others I've heard from the horses mouths themselves (not Kevin though since the last time we communicated he and Florence were still at VSA) that they found the problem not as big an issue as other strengths engineered into their product make up for it. Listening to all these speakers at CES and THE  I can't help but agree as the final results spoke for themselves. Of special interest to me was Israel Blume's very, very good new statement loudspeaker.  The Coincidents mentioned were the most organic I heard but whether it was because these were designed for use with and listened to with SET amplifiers remains to be seen. All Israel had on hand were his own 845 and 300Bs. Now you might ask why I can observe in such an impartial way. Well, I'm an audio dealer so I should be able to appreciate the good and the bad in every product and take it as it is. I went to these displays not to validate how good VSAs are but rather to see if their products would be successful in our market. In other words I wasn't there to slam anybody I was there to buy in commercial quantities. I ended up going home with inked deals for ribbon based speakers...no ceramics.  I guess other Philippine dealers too share the same experience. Two years later only Marten and Lumen White have been picked up. Total sales of both can be counted on ONE hand. The Coincident I mentioned was never brought in by the local dealer.

Notice I make no claims of one or any being better than the other. Even at this level all loudspeakers are compromised in one way or another. The composite school which uses natural and synthetic fibers like VSA, Magico, Sonus Faber, B&W are compromised in that the resonances are generally lower in frequency. My friends who go for ceramics say these are fuzzy as opposed to their buzzy. All in all any normal person reading this will say we are all funny in the head and should go see shrinks.  :lol:

I visited THE and listened briefly Kevin was not around and I couldn't wait because I had to meet my wife back at the Venetian. I listened briefly because there was nothing bad I could say about them yet I didn't instantly connect with them. This connection is an involuntary response and doesn't take much time. In fact I have long felt that if you don't connect instantly you should just keep on looking. If I can't connect then It would show every time I made a pitch. The pitch would most likely fail, we're out large green and we have done the designer and his folks a large injustice. Best leave them with representation that can really give them 100%.

So. This is my opinion of the two former co-workers. Kevin starts at quick and enhances organic and Albert starts at organic and enhances quick. Do they ever meet? I'd say yes from time to time but certainly not for the majority of the experience.  As always it boils down to a matter of preference.

Now the gentleman who went from VR-9 to loaner VR-7 to MM3 has a story that is very well chronicled on at least two sites. We've owned some common components but clearly have different tastes. For example he likes his VDH better than his Dynavector saying the XV-1s is too mild mannered. I find the VDH strident and the XV-1s just right (at least until I got my hands on the MY Sonic Labs Ultra Eminent BC and the Dynavector XV-1t) which are even MORE right aa). He likes GPA, my system stayed off until the GPA ampstands were replaced. Long story anyone interested PM me. He likes Transparent, I like Kubala-Sosna. There's a clear trend as far as taste goes. I respect his choices as it gets him where he wants to be. I'm at where I want to be.

I had the opportunity to choose then between MMThrees and VR-9s. The MMThrees were on intro at "only" a shade under 40 grand. Even at my distributor cost the VR-9s cost more money. Well, I made my choice and I have the VR-9s. With these trying economic times I am doubly glad I made this decision. Because even if I never get to sell these speakers I can definitely live with. In fact I dread the day someone walks in and will make me an offer. Then again, I could always get 11s next!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2009, 02:48 am »
You call that a response??? :dunno:  Come on Jack, I thought you had more of a handle on this stuff!  Now go to your room... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps...not bad actually :dance:

JackD201

« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2009, 05:13 am »
I kept it short  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

McIntos

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2009, 11:08 pm »
Thanks Jack!

I just wish it were possible to audition everything in my room with my stuff. 

If only I could convince my lovely bride to spring for the 7's on Audiogon, and another MC2000 and bridge them both mono, and maybe a J-Corder R2R, and a Koetsu Wajima and....

we are all funny in the head and should go see shrinks.
That's what my wife says... :-)

McTwins

« Reply #13 on: 26 May 2009, 08:14 am »
Mcintos......
I haven't listening to either VR7SE or EA speakers my self but I have listening to Marten and they use the same drivers. Well, nothing wrong about these speakers but I wasent impressed with them. I have the same sound quality with mine VR4. If I where you I would go for VR7SE :drool:.

For your knowledge: MC2000 can't be bridge or running them as monobloc, only stereo mode.
Thanks

McIntos

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2009, 02:35 pm »
Thanks.  I thought I read somewhere a guy had them running bridged mono.

Oh well, saves me a bunch o' money :-)

McTwins

« Reply #15 on: 27 May 2009, 12:22 pm »
Maybe it was MC2102 :thumb:

fplanner2000

« Reply #16 on: 30 May 2009, 02:13 am »
I've had my 7s a little over a year now and found with additional power, they REALLY open up.  Good, better, best is always a matter of taste, room and associated gear, but for my money, the 7s are a steal at 20K (audiogon).  I have a hunch they will soon be higher if not sold very quickly - Albert's probably not thrilled with the give-away price.  If I had a second home right now, I'd get them, but that's a whole other story....

I haven't heard the EA's nor at this point do I have any desire to.  Albert, Damon and Joe's support has been top notch and I will likewise continue to support them.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 30 May 2009, 03:06 am »
The 7s for sale on a'gon are actually $16.9K...

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1246832122&/Von-Schweikert-vr-7se-burl-wal

fplanner...what are your room dimensions?  These are some seriously large speakers.

McIntos

« Reply #18 on: 30 May 2009, 02:34 pm »
Dang!

Wish I didn't have a daughter starting law school in two week or I could probably talk my lovely bride into these now!!

EDIT: Just measured where they would sit and I don't think either of these speakers are on my list anymore.

They would only be 2 feet from the back wall or else they would end up way partially in front of my rack.

I really don't want to move my rack onto the same level as my seating area.
« Last Edit: 30 May 2009, 03:54 pm by McIntos »

fplanner2000

« Reply #19 on: 30 May 2009, 04:54 pm »
My 7's are actually a little LESS than 2 feet from the back wall and they sound great.  Its all about dialing in the correct settings for the ambient rear driver, which Albert did for me.

My Room is 19' x 20' with sloping ceiling of 13 to 7 feet.

For 17K, its tempting just to buy them for WHEN I get the 2nd house!!  Not very practical, however.

IF you have lots of good clean power, this speaker is a great deal at what they're asking for it now.  I wouldn't let the "rear distance" be a factor in your decision at all.  You might contact Albet to verify this and how he tweaked my speakers to perform near the back/side walls.