Any first hand comparisons of 7se to Evolution Acoustics

McIntos

Re: Any first hand comparisons of 7se to Evolution Acoustics
« Reply #20 on: 30 May 2009, 10:59 pm »
Well I have a medium amount of good clean power. :-)

I've been told my MC2000 should handle them just fine, but that like you, more would be better.

fplanner2000

« Reply #21 on: 31 May 2009, 04:20 am »
What is your current power into 8 ohms and into 4/6 ohms?  I believe the impedence on the woofers is 4 or 6 ohms in the 7s, which explains why a bunch of power really makes a big difference.  It is only the upper unit(mid, tweet and s-tweet) that is 8 ohms.  I'm pretty convinced many 7 owners haven't really heard what their speakers can do because they haven't put enough power to them.

I'm still not necessarily where I want to be at 300W/side of VAC tube power, after I heard what a huge difference just doubling the power has made to the output.  Lots more of everything good.  They are truly like new speakers, after 1 year!

JackD201

« Reply #22 on: 31 May 2009, 06:13 am »
I believe Violetmachan had the same experience when he acquired the powerful Tenor monos.  :thumb:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2009, 01:21 pm »

Listen what will happen when you connect the Kronzilla DXL to the 7's.

JackD201

« Reply #24 on: 31 May 2009, 01:32 pm »
Hey Cor,

Look at those tubes! Do the lights flicker when you turn the DXL's on?  :lol:  Seriously though, how much do those behemoths cost?

Jack

McIntos

« Reply #25 on: 31 May 2009, 03:12 pm »
What is your current power into 8 ohms and into 4/6 ohms?

My MC2000 is rated at 130 wpc, but here is what Stereophile measured.

Matching the tap to the load gave around 200W at 1% THD+N. But almost the same power was available into lower impedances. Fig.10, for example, shows that while the 4 ohm tap will deliver 139W into 8 ohms and 205W into 4 ohms, it will still output 199W into 2 ohms and even 107W into 1 ohm, the latter equivalent to an RMS output current of 10.35A! If you're looking for a tube amplifier to drive your old Apogee ribbons, the McIntosh from its 4 ohm or 2 ohm taps will be the perfect choice.

Well less then your 300 wpc.   

fplanner2000

« Reply #26 on: 31 May 2009, 03:42 pm »
I guess its all relative.  Before I added the power, I was happy, as you will also be with your MC2000.
Ironically, I added the 2nd amp more as a result of a situational thing than as a conscious effort to improve the sound.  What I got ended up with was a totally unexpected major increase in dynamics, soundstaging, etc., etc.  Either way, you can't really go wrong.....

McTwins

« Reply #27 on: 31 May 2009, 05:28 pm »
McIntos.....
You will not have any problem driving the VR7 with your amp MC2000. I have been running my MC275 in mono to my VR4 in bi-wire config with great result. I used the 4 ohm tap (as the Mcintosh manual says) because the average ohm from the speaker is 6 ohm. Its true that the VR7 is 4 ohm on the bass and 8 ohm on the M/T like the VR4. MC275 in mono produce 150 Watts and MC2000 130 Watts is not so far from each other. Trust me, you will have enough power. :thumb:
Or you can allways run horisontal bi-amp config with another solid state amp to the bass like MC402. :drool:
Thanks

McIntos

« Reply #28 on: 31 May 2009, 10:26 pm »
Or you can allways run horisontal bi-amp config with another solid state amp to the bass like MC402

I like that idea.

fplanner2000

« Reply #29 on: 31 May 2009, 11:09 pm »
I agree!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #30 on: 1 Jun 2009, 06:20 pm »
Hi Jack,

They don't glow in the dark. They only make music.
The DXL retails ? 28K. 150 wpc the power is very efficient.

Regards,

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #31 on: 2 Jun 2009, 04:14 am »
Is that in Euro or US Dollars?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #32 on: 2 Jun 2009, 06:12 am »
Hi Jack,

I pressed the Euro button. :o
But this program does not show it.

Cor

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #33 on: 2 Jun 2009, 01:04 pm »
Holy cow...the dollar must be in bigger trouble than I thought :bawl:

JackD201

« Reply #34 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:45 pm »
Hi Jack,

They don't glow in the dark. They only make music.
The DXL retails ? 28K. 150 wpc the power is very efficient.

Regards,

Cor

Oh Lord. I did some snooping around. When the time comes to replace the T1610s, it would cost almost $10,000!  I almost fainted!!!!  Stil....... aa.........We got an e-mail from Eunice. We might get a sample of one of the smaller integrated amps using the T1610s just to get a handle of Kron's house sound.

We'll see how things go.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #35 on: 30 Jun 2009, 06:12 pm »

Oh Lord. I did some snooping around. When the time comes to replace the T1610s, it would cost almost $10,000!  I almost fainted!!!!  Stil....... aa.........We got an e-mail from Eunice. We might get a sample of one of the smaller integrated amps using the T1610s just to get a handle of Kron's house sound.

We'll see how things go.
[/quote]

P-N junctions are a wonderful thing!  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #36 on: 1 Jul 2009, 03:57 am »

We'll see how things go.

P-N junctions are a wonderful thing!  :lol:
[/quote]

Now changing a pair of 6922/6dj8s after say 10 years of use on the you-know-whats will cost as little as a trip to the local cinema, popcorn and milkduds included  aa  Assuming of course that inflation will affect commissary prices the same way as valves  :lol: :lol: :lol:

snook2

« Reply #37 on: 30 Apr 2011, 11:50 am »
I bought a pair of evolution acoustics mm2 about 8months ago so they are now fully broken in. I owned the VR7SE for about 3.5 years. The better speaker in my room is clearly the EA MM2. I struggled with the VR7's from day one. They sounded strerile and bass shy. They need lots of power to perform at their best contrary to their efficiency rating. The evolution Acoustics is the dream speaker for my large room. Best bass ever. The tweeters are super revealing without the ring of the VR7's. The midrange is more holographic. The overall clarity and reproduction of music is breathtaking. This is not to say the VR7's are a bad speaker. My room could not get it right. Its all about the room isn't it.

fplanner2000

« Reply #38 on: 1 May 2011, 03:55 pm »
I have had the opposite reaction, with the 7's working really well in my room, which is only 19'x20'.  I am powering them pretty well so that the bass drivers can open up.  I have recently re-incorporated my Velodyne DD-15 low-crossed at about 36 hz, which adds that little bit of extra body in the lowest registers.  I will be upgrading to the new Velodyne DD-15 Plus in a few weeks, which will have very user friendly and powerful software designed to easily integrate the sub with the 7's and my room.  Also keep in mind that unlike the Evolutions 2 and 3, the 7's don't have an internal POWERED subwoofer - not an excuse, just a fact.  I'll bet if you added a good sub, with good equalization software,  you might still have the 7's..... :)

My 7s sound anything BUT "sterile and bass shy", as others on this forum who have heard my system can attest.  I have heard the Evolution speakers at a number of shows, tweaked out by Tinn, et al, and while they were OK, they've never moved me at all.  Lots of bass, but much too sterile and dry for my taste.  Btw, my 7's don't "ring" but have really sweet highs with lots of extension, detail and musicality.  Just my $.02...... obviously there is no "right" here, just what is "right" for you and your situation.    :D
« Last Edit: 1 May 2011, 05:15 pm by fplanner2000 »

snook2

« Reply #39 on: 1 May 2011, 07:09 pm »
It is probably my room. I have a 20x32 with 12 foot cathedral ceiling and the Vr's were lost unless I cranked them. I used a velodyne dd 18 and it was impossible to integrate. The EA2's are a perfect fit. They have five types of correction but I never had to make adjustments. It is good that you have them figured out. They did have quite a few corrections on them before discontinuing them.  Good listening