Alternative to Omega 5

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Alternative to Omega 5
« Reply #40 on: 24 May 2009, 03:11 am »
Hmmm.... I didn't know that the new 4-1/2" Hemp Alnico drivers were on the market yet. I don't believe any announcements have been made or have they?

-Roy

Capt. Z

« Reply #41 on: 24 May 2009, 03:20 am »
They have not been made yet. I recently spoke to Louise about them, but their production and even the first 'test' drivers are far away and when they come out the will be pretty pricey.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #42 on: 24 May 2009, 03:33 am »
Thanks.

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #43 on: 24 May 2009, 02:04 pm »
Got new drivers, new port and new cable from Louis. Did the 'easing' of the driver cut out myself.

Using same cone material would mean that the oevrall sound should be similar. The driver motor may add some improvement in speed and control. ( I assume)
Actually the sound will probably change quite a bit. I base this on my own experience moving from ferrite to alnico, plus multiple hours interviewing Louis when I wrote his new web site.

The tone should be much more rounded and natural. I also found big improvements in the mid bass (faster, fuller, more real).
I don?t know what this will mean for your problems with large works. Here is a case where driver size is one of the biggest variables.
I?ve never heard the 5, so Louis will be your best source of info for what to expect.

Capt. Z

« Reply #44 on: 25 May 2009, 02:16 am »
Had a good talk with a single driver guy.

This evening I ctuffed the rear port on the Omega and turned the cross over point on my Sub to 150 Hz.

Now I am starting to get closer to the point I would like to be.