Computer Furniture

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Computer Furniture
« on: 20 May 2009, 12:51 pm »
Hi All,

Now that I am experimenting with different computers I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an inclosure to place the main computer in.  I find even the quitest units have some fan noise and putting it in a cabinent with a door should help.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: Computer Furniture
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2009, 05:00 pm »
James,

what about asking a cabinet maker? maybe they have some ideas...

al.

Dilbert

« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 05:17 pm »
James, I can't offer any insight about furniture, but FYI - you can get studio/audio friendly computer fans from many pro audio dealers.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2009, 06:00 pm »
I've been thinking of building a new PC desk (it's in the same room as the home theater/2 channel seating).
The main "hush-box" that contains the PC and the external USB harddrives would be lined internally with Owens Corning "703" (acoustic wall treatment material).
Also, a rubber isolated floor inside the box to minimize physical/mechanical vibrations to the rest of the desk.
Two holes;
One to allow air in with a super quite fan.
One to allow air out. Possibly directed towards the carpeted floor to further minimize noise.

........For what it's worth.

Bob

werd

« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 06:56 pm »
Hi All,

Now that I am experimenting with different computers I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an inclosure to place the main computer in.  I find even the quitest units have some fan noise and putting it in a cabinent with a door should help.

james

This is one of the reasons i like laptops better, they are far more quiter ime than most desktops in that regard.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2009, 07:15 pm »
I've been thinking of building a new PC desk (it's in the same room as the home theater/2 channel seating).
The main "hush-box" that contains the PC and the external USB harddrives would be lined internally with Owens Corning "703" (acoustic wall treatment material).
Also, a rubber isolated floor inside the box to minimize physical/mechanical vibrations to the rest of the desk.
Two holes;
One to allow air out. Possibly directed towards the carpeted floor to further minimize noise.

Bob

Hi Bob,

OK you build them and we will market them!'

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2009, 07:16 pm »
Hi All,

james

This is one of the reasons i like laptops better, they are far more quiter ime than most desktops in that regard.

Hi Werd,

But what about those of us wanting to use a dedicated Pro sound card like Lynx or MAudio?

james

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2009, 07:21 pm »
OK you build them and we will market them!'
Hmm. Tempting indeed.  aa

werd

« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2009, 07:33 pm »
Hi All,

james

Hi Werd,

But what about those of us wanting to use a dedicated Pro sound card like Lynx or MAudio?

james

Hi James

Nice cards, but i like Steve Nugent's approach with the usb conversion and reclocking out side of the computer and close to the dac (he claims its quieter and can be executed with the least amount of jitter). Unless one is using the card as dac or someother function (5channel kinda thing)i think his approach on HD driven playback is correct. He recommends laptops probably because they are quiter with fans. He sells those Pace car reclockers and offramp turbo 4 usb converters. The only downside it being pricey. I was immediately turnd off with my desktop since its so fan and harddrive noisey.

Mr. Nugent has also commented that noise reducing technicques such as dampening in the computer actually raises jitter....it has something to do with rise times on the clock. He would be the one to call on for advice as ive only read his posts on here and audiogon.

werd

« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2009, 08:06 pm »
Two holes;

Bob

I am sure  that Bob in St. Louis would put a killer comp system together too  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 20 May 2009, 08:16 pm »
Hi All,

james

Hi Werd,

james

Hi James

Nice cards, but i like Steve Nugent's approach with the usb conversion and reclocking out side of the computer and close to the dac (he claims its quieter and can be executed with the least amount of jitter). Unless one is using the card as dac or someother function (5channel kinda thing)i think his approach on HD driven playback is correct. He recommends laptops probably because they are quiter with fans. He sells those Pace car reclockers and offramp turbo 4 usb converters. The only downside it being pricey. I was immediately turnd off with my desktop since its so fan and harddrive noisey.

Mr. Nugent has also commented that noise reducing technicques such as dampening in the computer actually raises jitter....it has something to do with rise times on the clock. He would be the one to call on for advice as ive only read his posts on here and audiogon.

Hi Werd,

Yes I know Steve well. The issue for me is I want 176/24 and 192/24 file playback and USB is not there yet.

james

werd

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2009, 09:08 pm »
Hi All,

james

Hi Werd,

james

Hi James

Hi Werd,

Yes I know Steve well. The issue for me is I want 176/24 and 192/24 file playback and USB is not there yet.

james

Hi James

Yes i suppose, however i dont think its there yet  with those pro cards either. I mean in terms of all the obstacles inheritant in the computer. Comp noise has a wonderful way of eating away at all those extra bits. And there is all the mechanical noise you are adressing here too. You're 16bit setting on the BDA1(usb) has shaken my belief at this point on high sampled playback. However i like the coax better as it sounds more robust than the usb on the BDA1.
 :scratch: its all very confusing right now. I should try a lynx card and see whats going on with those cards , maybe its worth it.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2009, 09:23 pm »
^

Hi Werd,

I have 3 systems setup.
1.Mac Pro laptop using itunes and capable of 96/24 on Optical on the Quad 2905's.
2.Windows XP Pro with MAudio 192 card on the PMC IB2's
2.Windows XP Pro with Lynx 16E 192 card on the Thiel 3.7's

Most of my softwhere is from Reference recordings at 176/24 and Chesky and Music Giants at 192/24. Its an interesting comparison computer to computer and from 44.1 to 88 to 96 to 176 to 192K

james

Moon Doggy

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2009, 10:07 pm »
Hi All,

james

Have you looked here? A bit off topic I realize.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

You could build a PC with a quiet laptop hard drive with soundcards etc. and back it up with a server in another room. Ok its way off topic :)

Best of luck.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2009, 11:08 pm »
Thanks Moon Doggy

I will give them a call.

james

ec

« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2009, 11:51 pm »
James,

I work for one of the world's largest computer manufacturers and our desktops are very quiet - 26 db if I recall.  Even our professional workstations are only a tad louder.  I know there has been a lot of design that has gone into our cooling systems to keep the systems quiet such as using larger fans but have them spin slower.  I wouldn't suggest putting the computer in an enclosed cabinet unless there is a lot of airflow.  We have an employee and friends and neighbour program if you are interested.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2009, 11:57 pm »
James,

I work for one of the world's largest computer manufacturers and our desktops are very quiet - 26 db if I recall.  Even our professional workstations are only a tad louder.  I know there has been a lot of design that has gone into our cooling systems to keep the systems quiet such as using larger fans but have them spin slower.  I wouldn't suggest putting the computer in an enclosed cabinet unless there is a lot of airflow.  We have an employee and friends and neighbour program if you are interested.

Sure - I am interested - can you send me some info on the computers?

james

ec

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2009, 01:00 am »
James,

PM sent

TomS

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2009, 01:06 am »
If you just wanted the playback (not necessarily computer function) you could try the IOBox HD100 network media tank.  It does 24/192 from a network connection.  No fan.  No noise at all if you use a solid state internal drive rather than spinning disk.  Just serve the files from a computer somewhere else where noise doesn't matter.

werd

« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2009, 05:51 am »
^

Hi Werd,

I have 3 systems setup.
1.Mac Pro laptop using itunes and capable of 96/24 on Optical on the Quad 2905's.
2.Windows XP Pro with MAudio 192 card on the PMC IB2's
2.Windows XP Pro with Lynx 16E 192 card on the Thiel 3.7's

Most of my softwhere is from Reference recordings at 176/24 and Chesky and Music Giants at 192/24. Its an interesting comparison computer to computer and from 44.1 to 88 to 96 to 176 to 192K

james

Hi James

Thats very interesting, may i ask how many of these reference recordings have you accumulated so far and how are you finding the catalogue of recordings? Is it decent selection, cant seem to see many on the chesky website.? Oh and how close to vinyl do you compare the 192k to be soundwise? At this point if i was to seriousily consider getting a computer together with a nice sound card to do this it might be worth while just going vinyl instead. From what i seen the cost of these recordings are heavy and pc's arent easily assembled without some serious creativity. This 192k with a soundcard has kinda flown under the radar with me, its  tweaked my interest.
Of course we know the BDA1 is up the job !!!!