James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Computer Furniture
« Reply #20 on: 21 May 2009, 11:21 am »
^
Hi Werd,

I got and ripped most of the recordings off DVD's that were sent to me from RR and Chesky.  The 176/192k files are too large (250M to 450M per song!) for typical online downloads.

I have a vinyl setup (Roksan and Rega) and there are still differences in sound between vinyl and hi-res digital so I do not think going hi-res digital playback would necessarily replace vinyl.

Your correct though that assembling a hi-res digital system (not to mention making sure all the settings are correct and optimized) is not an easy task.  I assume this will get to be a more 'plug and play' proposition as we move forward. My prediction is that HIGH END computer playback will take on a similar behaviour as high end audio has now which will manifest itself as many different opinons on what computer with which sound card with which software sounds best!

james
« Last Edit: 21 May 2009, 12:50 pm by James Tanner »

werd

« Reply #21 on: 21 May 2009, 10:47 pm »
^
Hi Werd,

I got and ripped most of the recordings off DVD's that were sent to me from RR and Chesky.  The 176/192k files are too large (250M to 450M per song!) for typical online downloads.

I have a vinyl setup (Roksan and Rega) and there are still differences in sound between vinyl and hi-res digital so I do not think going hi-res digital playback would necessarily replace vinyl.

Your correct though that assembling a hi-res digital system (not to mention making sure all the settings are correct and optimized) is not an easy task.  I assume this will get to be a more 'plug and play' proposition as we move forward. My prediction is that HIGH END computer playback will take on a similar behaviour as high end audio has now which will manifest itself as many different opinons on what computer with which sound card with which software sounds best!

james

Hi James

With your experience with 192k,  would you say that there are more benefits in  playback than just the  digital filtering that 192k generates? I imagine it would sound different than what your upsampling offers on your BDA1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2009, 10:57 pm »
^
Hi Werd,

The 'Native' 192 sounds very 'organic'.
I have to say though that I am finding the quality of the original recording whether upsampled or native seems to matter much more than any other factor.

james

werd

« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2009, 11:06 pm »
^
Hi Werd,

I have to say though that I am finding the quality of the original recording whether upsampled or native seems to matter much more than any other factor.

james

I like organic....... so then it would be safe to say that discreet output circuitry here is more at play than the bit count?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2009, 11:27 pm »
^
Hi Werd,

james

I like organic....... so then it would be safe to say that discreet output circuitry here is more at play than the bit count?

Yes it's a good question and I would say that the areas we paid attention too when designing the BDA-1 External DAC, like discrete output stage, dual power supplies, separate ground planes etc. has a lot to do with the way the BDA-1 sounds.

In the Golden Ear Award we recently got the reviewer mentioned to me that every source he tried with our DAC sounded excellent.

james

JP78

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2009, 12:42 am »
hello,

i've built several silent home theater personal computers in the past, including everything from built in-navigation screen (like the levinson 502) to drive bays with firewire cards supporting the output rates you're asking for.  it's not something i do for work, but i'm happy to help if you'd like to take on a challenge.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2009, 12:50 am »
hello,

i've built several silent home theater personal computers in the past, including everything from built in-navigation screen (like the levinson 502) to drive bays with firewire cards supporting the output rates you're asking for.  it's not something i do for work, but i'm happy to help if you'd like to take on a challenge.

Hi JP,

Sure - where do we go from here?

james