Amp for N2X

raymondbeautrix

Amp for N2X
« on: 18 May 2009, 06:28 pm »
Hello again everyone,

At long last, my neo-2x is due in this week, fully assembled and with all upgrades under the sun.  I know it'll be important that I have an exceptional system to match exceptional speakers.  As of now, I'll be using my audigy 2 zs sound card as the source, and a vintage beomaster 3000 type 2933 (30W, http://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=339.  The upgrade priority I have in mind now is (1) amp,   (2) DAC, (3) get nice cables.  If there's a better ordering here, please let me know.

Here's the amps I have my eyes on now:

Peachtree audio nova (recommended by Danny, AMP+DAC) -- 1200$
Rotel RB-1050 http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=9 -- ~ 400 used

The $1200 pricetag is fairly steep but not impossible for me.  I've heard the nova has an almost unparalleled DAC, but I haven't heard any clear details about how good the amp is.  I've heard of cases where people just use the nova for a DAC, then use some other amp...which makes me wonder how good the built in amp is.

My friend who's been an audiophile for awhile recommended the rotel to me, claiming it was one of the best amps he's heard anywhere near that price range.

At this point, I think I'd like to aim at an AMP/DAC solution that will be close to 1k.  Is there any solution better than the nova for this?  Please keep in mind I'm willing to buy used in order to get a better system for less.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ray

Danny Richie

Re: Amp for N2X
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2009, 08:51 pm »
The Peachtree guys are sending me a Nova to try as soon as they have stock on them again. I look forward to really giving it a listen.

I also just took delivery of a Virtue 2

http://store.virtueaudio.com/category-s/26.htm

It is burning in right now. I will post impressions of it shortly.

Tmantn

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2009, 08:58 pm »
Ray,

If you have not heard the peachtree products before, they are very impressive.

Last year at RMAF the Decco demo was very impressive.  The Nova promises even more.  I don't see how they make money on a tube hybrid preamp, amp, dac combo that produces sound quality like that.  The Decco is a steal.

Next to Danny's Speakers :D, that amp was one of my favorite things there.

Travis

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2009, 09:03 pm »
That would be some really helpful info, Danny.  I look forward to hearing how they work for you.

Tmantn: my understanding was the Decco was a bit of a step down in the amp and dac compared to the nova.  I'm seeing those listed for 800..I'm sure it's still fairly impressive though I might be ok with parting with another 400 if the jump in quality is big enough.

Nick77

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2009, 12:42 pm »
The Peachtree guys are sending me a Nova to try as soon as they have stock on them again. I look forward to really giving it a listen.

Danny looking forward to your impressions on this one, do you still have a pair of OB/7's? Would love to hear a report on how it might drive a floor stander.

Tmantn

« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2009, 02:17 pm »
The Decco is rated at 50wpc, but the Dac section does not have a digital filter.  There is some magic in that little amp.  The Nova, I believe, is the first Dac to attempt the ESS 9006.  The specs are out of the stratosphere, but I have never been a spec person.  I let my ears judge what works for me.

The Decco has no upsampling, no digital filter, tube pre-amp section, and pre amp outputs if the 50 wpc is not enough.  The only thing wrong with this little amp is the lack of analog inputs, no vinyl :cry:...having said that, Nova does feature analog inputs.  I look forward to hearing it. 

If a DAC is not necessary for you.  You may want to listen to a Cayin A50t.  Another special piece with incredible performance for the price.

Although, we are all in wait for the Dodd battery amp :drool:

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2009, 02:19 pm »

I recently read somebody's comparo between the Virtue 2 (with and without the 130w power supply upgrade) and a Glow Amp One.  He felt the psu upgrade for the virtue 2 was an obvious improvement and a no brainer for the money, and he also felt the Glow 1 sounded much better than either.

If you don't need a lot of power maybe check that out.  It has a DAC built in but he didn't test that.  It runs $650ish I think. It certainly has killer looks...

http://www.glow-audio.com/glowstuff.html
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 04:23 pm by woofersus »

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2009, 02:29 pm »
I've read a number of "glowing" reviews on the glow one.  But since Decco is in basically the same price range, I'm curious how they compare.  The, of course, I'm curious how much a step up the nova is.  And I agree with Tmantn that it's more important to go by your ear than specs alone...but I'll have to rely on other's ears I'm afraid as I have no means of auditioning any of these myself.  I would be quite willing to rely on Danny's ears  :wink:.

cujobob

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2009, 05:18 pm »
The virtue 2 has been preferred by some over the glow amp, I don't think the difference is huge.  I'm still waiting for a digital amp to blow me away.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2009, 01:31 am »
I auditioned the Virtue 2 with the upgraded caps and power supply several weeks ago and thought it was a little weak in my Neo 2X system.  The Neo's really do like to have an amp which will deliver on the attack and transients better.  The Virtue 2 was snappy but with a loss of weight and body.  There was not a great deal of instrument separation and there was a lack of resolution on listening levels above 80dB.  On moderate listening levels (nearfield on your desk in your office) the Virtue 2 will perform rather well.  YMMV

Lou

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2009, 02:13 am »
So, I just received the N2X.  They look absolutely beautiful, but my old amp seems to not be working... it plays at nothing above a whisper (even with a much cheaper pair of bookshelves).  I'm almost positive this is an amp issue, since I tried it with just a single bookshelf by itself (a cheap klipsche one).

So sadly, I just have to stare at them sitting idly at my desk...

I'm taking the amp by radioshack tomorrow to see if it can be salvaged at all, but I suspect this is a signal from the gods for me to get a new amp  :wink:.

More input on the nova or virtue 2, or anything else good within my pricerange would be especially appreciated now.

stevecuss

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2009, 01:56 pm »
I'll throw in my 2 cents since no one has picked up on your Rotel interest.  I run my AV2s through some 900 series Rotel separates.  (Power amp is RB980BX and Pre/Pro is RSP980 set in stereo mode.)  I believe the RB1050 is the newer version of the 980, but I may be wrong. 

I went with Rotel because of budget constraints and I'm very happy with the results.  For the $400 range you mentioned, Rotel offers incredible sound quality for the buck and you'd have $$$ left over for the DAC.

I think when budget allows, I'd add a tube DAC to my rotel separates, but actually, when budget allows, I'll be selling the AV2s and building some Neo2x's!

best wishes

Steve

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2009, 02:05 pm »
My opinion would be that the Peachtree Nova would be really cool, but I would put it with the Neo3 to gain the extra sensitivity.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2009, 04:25 pm »
The Peachtree Nova does look very appealing, but a little steep in price for my wallet.   :(

If you search Craigslist, you may also find some great vintage gear.  My friend picked up a really nice reconditioned 70's Sony receiver and recently I purchased an 80's Pioneer SX780 receiver.  It was part of an estate sale.  The guy who purchased it checked it out and cleaned all the important contact areas.  I don't know what it sounds like because the friend who picked it up for me still has it.  I told him to audition it for awhile.  He said it looks like it was brand-new and sounds wonderful.  OBTW, the previous owner had the box and manual too.

Lou

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #14 on: 21 May 2009, 05:01 pm »
Yea, it's really just a tough call.  I'd be happy buying used stuff, even vintage stuff if I enjoyed the sound it produced.  If I could get anything close to nova's SQ with cheaper vintage stuff, obviously I'd be on board.  I would just need advice on what to get.

Let's just keep in mind that I have the fully upgraded (including platinum caps) version of the N2Xs, which was a huge investment.  I just want to make sure I make the most out of it.  If someone can help talk me down from dropping 1200$ on this nova, it'd be a huge help to my wallet though!  :D

dvenardos

« Reply #15 on: 21 May 2009, 05:27 pm »
I have the Virtue Two and really like it with my strata minis, but if you need more power these DIY amps are on my list. Dweekie builds these amps and really likes them.
http://www.41hz.com/
The amp7 or the Truepath amp would be an upgrade over the Virtue Two. On their forum vbro will build amp boards or complete amps for you. He had some prebuilt prototype amp7 boards on hand last month.

Danny Richie

« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2009, 08:43 pm »
The good thing about the Nova is that it has a really, really good DAC built into it. Plus it will take a USB input, and let's fact it, we are all going to hard drive play back eventually.

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2009, 08:47 pm »
So Danny, do you have an ETA on when your nova will be burned in enough to evaluate?  I trust the DAC is excellent and I'm just eager to hear about the amp.

Danny Richie

« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2009, 08:56 pm »
I am still waiting on the Nova. They have been sold out.

The Virtue has been on burn in for the last 4 days. So now it is time to hook it up and play it. I will get to it as soon as I can.

grubyhalo

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2009, 06:41 pm »
I am still waiting on the Nova. They have been sold out...

How 'bout a Buffalo32?  aa There's a new batch up for sale this Saturday evening...

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalo.aspx