Amp for N2X

raymondbeautrix

Re: Amp for N2X
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2009, 06:46 pm »
I am still waiting on the Nova. They have been sold out...

How 'bout a Buffalo32?  aa There's a new batch up for sale this Saturday evening...

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalo.aspx

I'm not familiar with the buffalo32...it's a bit steep that the kit by itself is already 450$

On another note, I talked to vbro (vincent), the guy who commonly builds 41hz amps.  He mentioned that the truepath is probably overkill for my setup, but that I could get the fully assembled and integrated amp version of the amp4 for ~500$  However, if I understand correctly, this is the SQ equivalent to the virtue 2, which is both cheaper and higher wattage (90w vs 40w), so I'm unsure whether this would give me the best value.

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2009, 06:57 pm »
Oh, AND....................

Got my beomaster3000 working so I got to give my beautiful N2Xs an extended listen!!!

This will be cliche especially for this forum, but even with virtually no break in, these speakers were simply jaw-dropping.  I'm sure any description I'd try to give it would do it no justice.

After they have an adequate break in period, I might try posting a review.  But suffice to say that all the positive reviews and testimonies you see on this forum and others are by no means overstated.

Thanks for the world-class speakers, Danny!  :D

dvenardos

« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2009, 07:30 pm »
On another note, I talked to vbro (vincent), the guy who commonly builds 41hz amps.  He mentioned that the truepath is probably overkill for my setup, but that I could get the fully assembled and integrated amp version of the amp4 for ~500$  However, if I understand correctly, this is the SQ equivalent to the virtue 2, which is both cheaper and higher wattage (90w vs 40w), so I'm unsure whether this would give me the best value.

The Virtue Two would be a much better deal than the amp4. You would only need to go with a 41hz amp if you want/need more power than the Virtue can provide.

dweekie

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2009, 02:50 am »

How 'bout a Buffalo32?  aa There's a new batch up for sale this Saturday evening...

I think waiting for the Nova to come out might be easier than trying to snatch up a Buffalo32 for the 3 seconds that it will be in stock  :duh:  On another note, the Buffalo32 uses a newer chip than the one found in the Nova.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2009, 02:16 am »
Okay, I learned some really interesting stuff about the Virtue amps. I have been doing some listening and tried some interesting things with this amp. I will put together a full review very shortly.

cujobob

« Reply #25 on: 26 May 2009, 02:09 pm »
FWIW, I think the First Watt F5 clone I have is the best amp I've yet heard on my N2Xs.  Low power, but sounds seriously amazing.  Perhaps a passive attenuator + F5 clone (if you find one for sale) would be the best combo IMHO.

Can't wait to see Danny's review..

Danny Richie

« Reply #26 on: 26 May 2009, 03:19 pm »
In short, the Virtue amp was pretty dang good.

Then I started missing with it and it got really, really good.

So I am working out a dealer deal with Seth and will be offering stock units and some modded versions that will take them over the top. I am still working on some stuff that may or may not work easily that if it does work, will make this very, very attractive.

Hang on just a little longer for details.

Nick77

« Reply #27 on: 26 May 2009, 03:24 pm »
Thats great news Danny. How do they work with the OB's?

Cant wait to hear more. Thanks!

dvenardos

« Reply #28 on: 26 May 2009, 04:18 pm »
You should be able to get more power out of these with and upgraded power supply. I am working on one for mine.

In short, the Virtue amp was pretty dang good.

Then I started missing with it and it got really, really good.

So I am working out a dealer deal with Seth and will be offering stock units and some modded versions that will take them over the top. I am still working on some stuff that may or may not work easily that if it does work, will make this very, very attractive.

Hang on just a little longer for details.

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #29 on: 27 May 2009, 04:56 am »
Looking forward to hearing more about the virtue 2....and if anyone has gotten to listen to the nova yet, please share your thoughts  :D.

Nick77

« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2009, 09:46 am »

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2009, 03:42 pm »
Yes, see the new thread for a complete review.

dweekie

« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2009, 05:58 pm »
There's more in the critics' circle.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66822.0

raymondbeautrix

« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2009, 09:44 pm »

I think waiting for the Nova to come out might be easier than trying to snatch up a Buffalo32 for the 3 seconds that it will be in stock  :duh:  On another note, the Buffalo32 uses a newer chip than the one found in the Nova.

Actually, isn't the Nova already out and in stock at crutchfield (so they claim).  It's a little tempting to just order it now and use the 30 day no-questions-asked refund policy if I need to.

The buffalo32 chip is newer, but is there any evidence its better?  As best I can tell, it doesn't feature upsampling so perhaps this would count against listening to mp3s (though I rarely do anymore...most of my collection is flac or cd now).

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2009, 10:02 pm »
Many will argue that up-sampling is more of a negative than a positive. I'd personally take a high quality DAC that does not up-sample myself.