A must have for every system...

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
Re: A must have for every system...
« Reply #120 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:01 pm »
Will this unit function properly up to 15 amps?

I have seen some power conditioners rated for 15 amps start to have issues as they approach 15 amps.

If my system draws around 12-13 amps, do you recommend I get the Uber Buss?

Thanks,

George

Hi, George,

These units do not function in the same manner as conventional "line conditioners".  They are not current limiting in any manner EXCEPT by the inlet plugs themselves.  An IEC C14 inlet is only rated at 15A @ 125V.  Since this is the connector used on 99% of all of the commercial units out there, there is not a problem.

If you are concerned about current handling in power conditioners, you should look at IEC C20 connectors.  They have a full 22A @ 125V rating.  I offer these as an option on both units.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector

The internal wiring is rated at 40 A @ 125V.  No worries.

Dave
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 04:04 am by dBe »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #121 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:22 pm »
Hmmm... I wonder what's inside the Majik Buss that separates it from all the other conditioner power strips on the market? Are the guts potted?

-Roy

Roy,

Yes, the guts are potted.  The unit is also sealed.  Tampering with these units IN ANY WAY will void the warranty.   :nono:

I spent years developing this unit.  Until the patent process is finished, the Patent Office registration does not really offer any protection.  I am not predisposed to tell anyone what is the major component difference between these units and the others out on the market today.  Even if you were able to open one up I seriously doubt that, beyond the capacitors inside, you would know what you are looking at.

I will say these things.  There are no active components in these units.  They are entirely passive.  They contain capacitors: what kind and what values are not for publication.  They do not contain any chokes or inductors.  The inductance of these units is less than .004 mH and most of this is the twisted pair wiring inside.

I don't mean to be an a$$hole about this, but there is always someone willing to rip off someone else's work and make money from it.  Leeches are everywhere.

:wink:

Dave, the protective dude
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2009, 12:35 am by dBe »

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #122 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:35 pm »
Danny:
I have a PS Audio Soloist wall outlet with a PS Audio Quintet serving my system.  Do you think the Majik Buss + PC will make a difference? And, should I use it in conjunction with the PS Audio (can I?) or separate from it?

Thanks,
Tom
Tom, The PS Audio Quintet contains MOV's as surge suppressors.  They are little noise makers on their own.  The ferrite powder used in the quintet as a noise filter is more to contain the noise from the MOVs than anything else.  The BUSSes are NOT surge suppression units.  The only devices that I recommend for this purpose are the ones made by ZeroSurge.    They are licensed for audio use to Surge-X.  Their technology is patented and when I inquired about a license, I was very politiely told "NO!"

Yes, one of the BUSSes will definitely be an improvement.  It should be installed after the PS Audio device, between it and your equipment.

You CAN use a BUSS with regenerators IF it is installed between the wall outlet and the regeneration unit.  I have my modified PS Audio P300 MWII plugged into the 'B' circuit on an UberBUSS.  My Cary preamp and Cary 306 CD player are plugged into the P300 and my power amps are plugged into 'A' on the BUSS.

HTH

Dave

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #123 on: 27 Jun 2009, 06:57 pm »
You CAN use a BUSS with regenerators IF it is installed between the wall outlet and the regeneration unit.  I have my modified PS Audio P300 MWII plugged into the 'B' circuit on an UberBUSS.  My Cary preamp and Cary 306 CD player are plugged into the P300 and my power amps are plugged into 'A' on the BUSS.

I need to add some information to this thread.  I should have done this earlier, but I've been too busy building BUSSes of all flavors to do much of anything else (like I'm whining or something)  :wink:

The Majik BUSS has a difference between circuit 'A' and 'B'.  'B' has additional filtering for use with digital sources.  The UberBUSS has identical, but separate, filtering on both circuits.  You can plug anything into whatever circuit you wish as long as digital is all on one circuit, 'A' OR 'B'.

My products, like all electronic components, have a settling in time (break-in to those of you in Rio Linda).  Please do not do any critical listening until the units have a minimum of 24 hours plugged into the wall with a load on them.  You can use a 100W lightbulb for this.  Even so, they will continue to improve until they have 100 hours or so in operation.  This is most noticeable in the upper midrange as a bit of stridency that goes away after break-in.  Capacitors are capacitors, no matter what kind they are.

Dave               

dmccombs

« Reply #124 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:47 pm »
Well, I have had the UberBuss for a few days now, and it is pretty much broken in (settled in).  It has been a nice upgrade for the amps and HDTV set over the Majik Buss.  It is so cool how this box can drive 3 big monoblocks without current limiting.

I now have a mix of 2 Majik Buss' and and Uber Buss, and I'm thrilled with the way the system is sounding.  What great products.

Darrell

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #125 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:06 pm »
Well, I have had the UberBuss for a few days now, and it is pretty much broken in (settled in).  It has been a nice upgrade for the amps and HDTV set over the Majik Buss.  It is so cool how this box can drive 3 big monoblocks without current limiting.

I now have a mix of 2 Majik Buss' and and Uber Buss, and I'm thrilled with the way the system is sounding.  what great products.

Darrell,  Thanks for the comments.  I build these things for two reasons: to make a living (duh) and to help others get the best sound out of their systems, at the lowest cost, possible.

Enjoy   :D

Dave
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 06:18 pm by dBe »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #126 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:21 pm »
Ok, Danny has my info and I will have a Majik Buss and power cord in the next week or two.

I look forward to seeing how it works in my main 2 channel system.

George

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #127 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:24 pm »
Ok, Danny has my info and I will have a Majik Buss and power cord in the next week or two.

I look forward to seeing how it works in my main 2 channel system.

George

Me, too   :D

Dave

kyrill

« Reply #128 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:15 pm »
I have a hard time understanding how a power cord makes such a large difference.  I definitely don't doubt it as too many trusted people have stated that it is making a dramatic change. 

Part of me wonders where does it end?  At the wall? At the circuit breaker? At the line to the house? 

Should we all be focusing on regenerating our power and paying attention to all the cabling in-between everything?

Does anyone know of good electrical wire?  I plan on running my room on a dedicated circuit and it probably needs some good wire inbetween.

Ha  I really follow yr line of thinking :D
But read this:
"First, recall the now accepted truism that it's not the miles of power distribution wiring that precede your wall plug which matter. It's those last few feet inside your upgraded power cords. That's what your gear "sees"; not the crap outside your house all the way back to the power utility plant. "  http://6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticsystem5/liveline.html
It maybe even that what you gear "sees" is the last inch (!)  Electricity is still a mystery sub atomic wise

kyrill

« Reply #129 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:33 pm »
Dave ( Elledge)

Is there a 240 V version for sale?
We can handle half of the amperage
but i don't suppose tha caps inside can handle the "double" voltage?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #130 on: 30 Jun 2009, 12:27 am »
Dave ( Elledge)

Is there a 240 V version for sale?
We can handle half of the amperage
but i don't suppose tha caps inside can handle the "double" voltage?

I can build a 240V version for you.  Since it would be a custom build, it would be more expensive than the standard 120VAC versions.  If you are interested, please PM me and we can discuss options.  Mostly I need to know what the connector configuration is.  I am building a Schuko receptacle version with Furutech outlets now. Pretty much anything is doable, but it is like building a ship in a bottle with the 240V-250V units.

Dave

audioferret

« Reply #131 on: 1 Jul 2009, 08:30 pm »
Just ordered a demo sample from Danny...

I have been eyeing this thread for a while and decided to give it a try.  I am looking forward to running a few tests in comparison to my PS Audio PPP.  I will try to get some good photos of my theater projector's images to see if there are noticable differences.

Also, I have a computer room full of equipment that likely affects the entire house.  I am going to try to isolate that room from the system and see if it affects the measured THD displayed on the premiere...

Should be fun...  :)

RPM123

« Reply #132 on: 2 Jul 2009, 04:11 am »

I now have a mix of 2 Majik Buss' and and Uber Buss, and I'm thrilled with the way the system is sounding.  What great products.

Darrell

What were you using before? Thanks. RPM 123

dmccombs

« Reply #133 on: 2 Jul 2009, 04:32 am »
RPM,

I wasn't using any sort of conditioner before.  I was plugging directly into dedicated circuits.

Regards,
Darrell

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #134 on: 4 Jul 2009, 12:59 am »

Here's a couple of picture of my custom built UberBuss which was put togther with 15A connections instead of 20A so i wouldn't have to upgrade my power cords. For outlets, I'm using a Pass & Seymour Duplex on 1 side and an Oyaide SWO-XXX gold/palladium Duplex which will be the one I'll be using for my BPT BP2.5. I'm using a gold Furutech plate terminal IEC for the input. Poor Dave was in such a hurry to get the UberBuss to me that he had to use a MajikBuss label with a U-02 serial number as the UberBuss label hadn't come in yet. I'll be getting one in the mail when they do show up.  aa  Regardless of the label it's a killer conditioner when compared to the Majik Buss which is a killer conditioner when compared to the Maher PE series walwart. It's the real deal and a must have for PC Audio AFAIC. I hope I can try mine out on a CDP at an upcoming NY RAVE so I can see what it'll do for that digital medium.  :thumb: 

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2009, 04:46 am by satfrat »

dmccombs

« Reply #135 on: 5 Jul 2009, 12:26 am »
Robin,

I think you are going to love the Buss on the Digital.  Today I listened to my SACD and DVD-Audio for the first time since putting in the Busses.  The sound is coming from outside the walls.  And the bass is so defined with so much authority.  I have spent the day listening to my SACDs and DVD-As like it is a new collection.

When you try the Buss on the CDP, I suggest trying the setup with the CDP only plugged into the Buss, then try it with the CDP and Processor, and Amp etc.  The combined effect was quite noticeable in my system.

Darrell

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #136 on: 5 Jul 2009, 03:15 am »

Here's a couple of picture of my custom built UberBuss which was put togther with 15A connections instead of 20A so i wouldn't have to upgrade my power cords. For outlets, I'm using a Pass & Seymour Duplex on 1 side and an Oyaide SWO-XXX gold/palladium Duplex which will be the one I'll be using for my BPT BP2.5. I'm using a gold Furutech plate terminal IEC for the input. Poor Dave was in such a hurry to get the UberBuss to me that he had to use a MajikBuss label with a U-02 serial number as the UberBuss label hadn't come in yet. I'll be getting one in the mail when they do show up.  aa  Regardless of the label it's a killer conditioner when compared to the Majik Buss which is a killer conditioner when compared to the Maher PE series walwart. It's the real deal and a must have for PC Audio AFAIC. I hope I can try mine out on a CDP at an upcoming NY RAVE so I can see what it'll do for that digital medium.  :thumb:

Restricted cheers,
Robin

Robin,

Can you expand a little on how the Uber and/or Majibuss compares to the Alan Maher stuff you are familiar with?

Thanks,
Anand.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #137 on: 21 Jul 2009, 02:28 pm »
So I heard the standard MajikBuss at my place over this weekend.  George (zybar) spent the weekend and left last night.  I miss the MajikBuss!!   :(     :)

We had it simply plugged into the wall and the Audience Adept Response AR12 plugged into it.  The AR12 handles both analog (preamp, TP analog outs, MW 3910 outboard PS) and digital (Transporter, DAC, MW 3910 transport section).  The AR12 is a great conditioner, but when used in combination with the MajikBuss my system took on a completely upgraded-every-component kind of feel.  Well-recorded cymbal shimmers (like on Yori Hornung Trio's rendition of Walking On The Moon, from the DALI sampler cd) were incredible, beyond what I was used to.  And I think we even had it plugged in to "A" accidentally.

Question:  I have two very powerful 2 kilowatt Class D Spectron Musician III monoblocks that, if MajikBuss'd, would require a second one as they are at the front of the room.  Currently they are plugged into individual Adept Response AR1's which hang on the Tesplaplex wall outlets.  To echo Robin, I wouldn't want 20A outlets cuz I love my power cords, but would an UberBuss make more sense there than another MajikBuss?  In place of the AR1's (since I could plug both monos into one Buss)?  And would an UberBusss be overkill back at the source rack (i.e AR12/MajikBuss setup) vs the MajikBuss I heard?  I know I'm asking a barber if I need a haircut  :)  but would like to know where the Uber would improve my source rack.  Thx...great product!

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #138 on: 21 Jul 2009, 02:58 pm »
So I heard the standard MajikBuss at my place over this weekend.  George (zybar) spent the weekend and left last night.  I miss the MajikBuss!!   :(     :)

We had it simply plugged into the wall and the Audience Adept Response AR12 plugged into it.  The AR12 handles both analog (preamp, TP analog outs, MW 3910 outboard PS) and digital (Transporter, DAC, MW 3910 transport section).  The AR12 is a great conditioner, but when used in combination with the MajikBuss my system took on a completely upgraded-every-component kind of feel.  Well-recorded cymbal shimmers (like on Yori Hornung Trio's rendition of Walking On The Moon, from the DALI sampler cd) were incredible, beyond what I was used to.  And I think we even had it plugged in to "A" accidentally.

Question:  I have two very powerful 2 kilowatt Class D Spectron Musician III monoblocks that, if MajikBuss'd, would require a second one as they are at the front of the room.  Currently they are plugged into individual Adept Response AR1's which hang on the Tesplaplex wall outlets.  To echo Robin, I wouldn't want 20A outlets cuz I love my power cords, but would an UberBuss make more sense there than another MajikBuss?  In place of the AR1's (since I could plug both monos into one Buss)?  And would an UberBusss be overkill back at the source rack (i.e AR12/MajikBuss setup) vs the MajikBuss I heard?  I know I'm asking a barber if I need a haircut  :)  but would like to know where the Uber would improve my source rack.  Thx...great product!

I just tell my barber to take a little off the sides and put it on top. :)

The Uber and the Majik are both very good, but (and I say this with an Emeril Lagasse "sometimes I even amaze myself" sense of of humility) the Uber is in a class by itself.  Ask anyone that has A/B'd the two and they will all tell you the same thing:  it really is UBER in comparison.  All I can say is I would not be without mine even if it were someone else's product.  Remember the 30 day MBG.  It makes the comparison pretty painless.  The big difference between the two are the dynamic contrasts and layering of detail that are more prevalent with the Uber.  The PFC circuit in the Uber really is THE deal.

Thank you for the write-up.  I wish I had done this years ago......... :duh:

Dave

dmccombs

« Reply #139 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:01 pm »
Ted,

You already got a reply back from Dave, but I thought I would chime in as it sounds like I have a similar logistic setup to yours.

I have 3 Classe 400wpc Monoblocks up front along with a HDTV.  I plugged these into a Majik Buss.  Since the L/R amps are key to all audio (CD, SACD, DVD-A, DVD, TT, Dish), improving the amps sound made a huge improvement to the system.  The Majik Buss is not current limiting and my Classe Monoblocks sounded terrific.

Later I upgraded the Majik Buss to an Uber Buss.  The amps sounded even better so all the audio in my system was greatly improved again.  The Majik Buss is terrific, but the Uber Buss does everything even better.

My main rack is away from my front amps, so I have a seperate buss on them.  I started with Majik Buss.  Like all the previous reports, the Majik Buss sounded terrific.  The Digital equipment especially benefited by being plugged into the Buss.  I love my Turntable, but with the Majik Buss, CDs are now very enjoyable.

I had a spare 2nd Majik Buss around (before the release of the Uber Buss), so I daisy chained two Majik Busses for my Source Rack (Processor, Universal Player, Sonos, Dish Box, TT, Bluray Player).  The 2nd buss improved the sound and my Digital sources soudned even more natural, had more soundstage depth, deeper and better defined bass.

When the Uber buss was released, I removed the 2 Majik Busses from the Source Rack and tested things with the Uber Buss It sounded very similar.   So to answer your question, NO an Uber buss is not overkill for your Source Rack.  In fact I highly recommend it.

Regards,
Darrell