A must have for every system...

Phil

Re: A must have for every system...
« Reply #100 on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:37 am »
Thank you, Dave.

Good to know part of the majik is in preventing backwash.  I always suspected that part of the digital sound was an artifact of backwash.  Same thing with digital amps it would seem.

Any plans for a smaller unit meant to be used by, say, one or a pair of amps?  Just curious.  Might be some demand for such a product. 

Phil

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #101 on: 14 Jun 2009, 02:47 pm »
Thank you, Dave.

Good to know part of the majik is in preventing backwash.  I always suspected that part of the digital sound was an artifact of backwash.  Same thing with digital amps it would seem.

Any plans for a smaller unit meant to be used by, say, one or a pair of amps?  Just curious.  Might be some demand for such a product. 

Phil

I remember when I plugged in my first Sunfire amplifier.  My wife had a radio on in another part of the house and the reception went to hell.  The tracking down converter (switching) power supply was the culprit.  That amplifier was the reason I took this particular fork in the road.  Wish I still had it.  I would have it bronzed   :)

The Majik BUSS is my entry level unit.  I can build them with any receptacle wished, but I have no plans for a less expensive unit: too many compromises for my tastes.

Regards,

Dave

Lundskov

« Reply #102 on: 14 Jun 2009, 09:10 pm »
Dave,

It boils down to this: how much filtration/treatment/isolation can a person afford?

Kind of went off on a tangent there, but I hope you get my drift.

Dave

Is it then possible to upgrade this product later

k

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #103 on: 14 Jun 2009, 09:53 pm »
Dave,

It boils down to this: how much filtration/treatment/isolation can a person afford?

Kind of went off on a tangent there, but I hope you get my drift.

Dave

Is it then possible to upgrade this product later

k

All of the units are sealed and potted.  They are what they are.

Dave

Occam

« Reply #104 on: 15 Jun 2009, 12:34 am »
Dave,

You really should consider permanent inclusion of an outlet tester hardwired into your MajicBuss

Under a single fault condition, which you discussed previously, reversed hot and neutral, the danger from someone touching the plug although statling, probably isn't much cause for concern (unless one is standing on a 20' ladder... unlikely).

But boneheaded housewirng errors tend to come in mutliples. If one has reversed hot & neutral, you've an increased probability of a disconnected mains safety ground.  And the net result of such an outlet with that dual fault is that all components with a chassis connected to mains safety earth (Class I appliances), powered from your Majik Buss are connected via your 5.6uf capacitor to the hot AC line. That is an incredibly dangerous possibility. Frankly, I don't know if large lettering on your unit proclaiming "Do Not Power any equipment from this unit unless Both of These Specific lights are lit" is sufficient for you (and Danny) to escape liability, or if an automatic lockout crowbar circuit would be needed.

While we both manufacture power conditioners, I believe we come with very different perspecitives. You are from the Studio side where you assume your customers are competent and knowledgeable. I come from the Medical Electronics side and teach an occasional course in power quality to senior undergraduate EE students, so naturally assume every user (and their 'electrician') an idiot.

The applicable standards from ANSI, IEC, UL, CSA, etc...  are that any conditioning/surge/extention appliance will not materially increase the danger from a device it feeds, that is functioning normally, plugged into it under single and dual fault conditions.

FWIW,
Paul

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #105 on: 15 Jun 2009, 12:41 am »
Definitely food for thought for the small businessman.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #106 on: 15 Jun 2009, 05:15 am »
Dave,

You really should consider permanent inclusion of an outlet tester hardwired into your MajicBuss.
I believe we come with very different perspecitives. You are from the Studio side where you assume your customers are competent and knowledgeable. I come from the Medical Electronics side and teach an occasional course in power quality to senior undergraduate EE students, so naturally assume every user (and their 'electrician') an idiot.

The applicable standards from ANSI, IEC, UL, CSA, etc...  are that any conditioning/surge/extention appliance will not materially increase the danger from a device it feeds, that is functioning normally, plugged into it under single and dual fault conditions.

FWIW,
Paul

I appreciate your thoughts and take them under advisement.  I am considering a remedy and will let everyone know what it is.  In the short term I will be doing a shunt resistor to discharge the G/N cap.  The safety current limiting resistor obviously didn't eliminate the "TINGLE"........

- zorch!-   :o

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2010, 06:16 pm by dBe »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #107 on: 15 Jun 2009, 10:10 pm »
Well I've gotten to the point that I like the Majik Buss so much that I will eventually be returning this demo to Danny. In it's place Dave is building me a custom UberBuss with a gold Furutech IEC terminal and on the digital B AC outlet, there will be an Oyaide SWO-XXX Gold/Palladium Duplex ( got a deal on a used one on A'gon or I would have gotten just gold). I'll be replacing the copper Wattgate connectors on my high voltage VH Audio Flavor 4 power cord to Oyaide 079 Gold AC/IEC plugs. This will give me all gold connections from my dedicated gold plated duplex outlet to the back of my BPT. With as much as I have enjoyed the Majik Buss with it's standard Leviton quad copper AC outlets and nickel plated IEC panel terminal in my system, I can't wait to have the more powerful UberBuss w/gold trim gracing my A/V system. That'll give the birds, chipmunks, & squirrels something to chirp about for sure.(besides all the food I'm feeding them) :lol:

So for those who wanted to know if Dave will do a custom build, the answer is yes. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #108 on: 17 Jun 2009, 04:08 pm »
The Majik Buss can now be ordered on line:

http://www.gr-research.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=155

The free demo deal is really good well too.

I expect a sales boom of these this summer.  :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jun 2009, 03:43 am »

Let me add a little to what Danny has said.  I like analogies, so here is one:

Powering a system is a lot like getting water from a well.  In that well with the water are bugs, rodents, bacteria, rocks, dirts... all the kinds of things that make me a poor camper.  I hate 'em.  I need the water, but I DO NOT want any of the aforementioned.  So, what do I do?  I build a series of traps and filters that take all of the bacteria, roaches and dirt out and create a maze that the stupid rats can't get through. 

That is what is going on with passive power components like power cords, CorComs, ferrite beads, my filters and on and on.  Some of these devices just work better than others.

In audio, whether we like it or not, everything effects everything else.  The quest  towards superior reproduction is a trail that has many twists and turns.  I have about a gig of notes that I have compiled over the years from experiments performed that includes all of the successes and failures.  A few years ago it became very clear to me that audio reproduction, just like everything else, has to be built upon a firm foundation or the whole structure is weak.  Ergo - my power treatment products.

You just have to be smarter than the rat.

Dave

Here's the thing that most people don't factor into when they think of how a 6' power cord could possibly have that significant of an effect on a system.

One word.

A M P L I F I E R

Any hash that's not filtered out before a gain stage.....well....duh....

Don't believe that good, clean, stable power is a big deal?

Ask any pro guitar player who plays through 100 watt Marshall's what going from venue to venue is like trying to get low noise, consistent gain, harmonic overtones and sustain from his amps...... Do you know how many Variacs have been sold since Van Halen I ?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #110 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:37 pm »
I took a Majik Buss and some of the new Electra cables with me to the Lone Star Audio Fest. Not just for fun but also on the quest for enlightenment. The looks of amazement make it worth the trip down there alone.  :thumb:

Just dropping in the Majik Buss and a power cable really transformed a few rooms. One was transformed enough that I never got my Majik Buss back. I was several cables short by the end of the day too.

Anybody on the fence better get off now while the waiting list for these are relatively short. I will be sending out those demo units as fast as they arrive.

dmccombs

« Reply #111 on: 22 Jun 2009, 10:49 pm »
Danny,

I am not surprised by the great response to the Majik Buss.  I have 3 in my system and they make a huge difference.  The noise floor is lower.  There is a better separation of instruments.  The bass is  deeper and better defined. And the mids and highs are more natural.  They even helped my video (sharper image with better color saturation).

The Majik Buss' doesn't help with my laundry, but they sure helped the A/V system tremendously.

Darrell
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2009, 05:23 pm by dmccombs »

dmccombs

« Reply #112 on: 26 Jun 2009, 05:42 pm »
I got one of the new Uber Buss a few days ago.  I had 3 Classe 400/wpc Monoblocks and a 70" HDTV plugged into a Majik Buss.  They are now plugged into the Uber Buss.  Nothing else was changed.

I played a few CDs that I am very familiar with, and was very impressed with the change that the Uber Buss provided.  The soundstage got wider and deep, the instruments had even better separation.  The bass is better defined, and there a bit more detail in the mids and highs.

I then switched over and played some vinyl.  The result was the same.  There was lots of toe tapping going on.  The overall presentation was more dymanic and true to life.

In short, the Uber Buss provides the same improvements as the Majik Buss, but to a greater degree.  The Majik Buss is a fantastic enhancement, and the Uber Buss even more so. 

Well, Norah Jones is singing here in my living room so I'm going to sign-out.  I will post more after I have more hours on the Uber Buss.  Ok, she's not right here in person, but it sure sounds like it.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #113 on: 26 Jun 2009, 05:47 pm »
I got one of the new Uber Buss a few days ago.  I had 3 Classe 400/wpc Monoblocks and a 70" HDTV plugged into a Majik Buss.  They are now plugged into the Uber Buss.  Nothing else was changed.

I played a few CDs that I am very familiar with, and was very impressed with the change that the Uber Buss provided.  The soundstage got wider and deep, the instruments had even better separation.  The bass is better defined, and there a bit more detail in the mids and highs.

I then switched over and played some vinyl.  The result was the same.  There was lots of toe tapping going on.  The overall presentation was more dymanic and true to life.

In short, the Uber Buss provides the same improvements as the Majik Buss, but to a greater degree.  The Majik Buss is a fantastic enhancement, and the Uber Buss even more so. 

Well, Norah Jones is singing here in my living room so I'm going to sign-out.  I will post more after I have more hours on the Uber Buss.  Ok, she's not right here in person, but it sure sounds like it.

That's great to hear, mine's in the mail and will be here next tuesday. I was curious as to how the UberBuss would actually compare with the Majik Buss. I wasn't expecting much of a change myself, simply more capacity to better handle my whole A/V system. But a greater degree of improvement is money.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #114 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:13 pm »
I have more Majik Buss's on the way so if you want to get one of these next 6 units that are coming then let me know as soon as possible.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #115 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:30 pm »
I have more Majik Buss's on the way so if you want to get one of these next 6 units that are coming then let me know as soon as possible.

Danny,

Will this unit function properly up to 15 amps?

I have seen some power conditioners rated for 15 amps start to have issues as they approach 15 amps.

If my system draws around 12-13 amps, do you recommend I get the Uber Buss?

Thanks,

George

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #116 on: 27 Jun 2009, 04:30 pm »
George, the Majik Buss is rated for 40 amps! For the last 3 weeks I've been demoing the Majik Buss on my 20A dedicated circuit and in front of my loaded up 2400 watt BPT with no adverse effects. It's actually been just the other way around, both my audio and video have been noticably enhanced. It's allowed me to use more volume on my computer audio,, something you definitely don't have any problems with on your system.  8)  IMHO, this conditioner will not limit your system George. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Danny,

Will this unit function properly up to 15 amps?

I have seen some power conditioners rated for 15 amps start to have issues as they approach 15 amps.

If my system draws around 12-13 amps, do you recommend I get the Uber Buss?

Thanks,

George

Snegrah

« Reply #117 on: 27 Jun 2009, 05:22 pm »
Danny:
I have a PS Audio Soloist wall outlet with a PS Audio Quintet serving my system.  Do you think the Majik Buss + PC will make a difference? And, should I use it in conjunction with the PS Audio (can I?) or separate from it?

Thanks,
Tom

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #118 on: 27 Jun 2009, 05:31 pm »
The only one that you can't use it in conjunction with is the one that is the power regenerator.

I would be willing to bet that it will make a difference.

I am getting a really good response from the Electra Cable PC too. It makes quite a bit of difference as well.

All you have to do is cover the shipping cost and you can find out for yourself.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #119 on: 27 Jun 2009, 05:39 pm »
 Hmmm... I wonder what's inside the Majik Buss that separates it from all the other conditioner power strips on the market? Are the guts potted?

-Roy