FLAC rips VS SACD

rahimlee54

FLAC rips VS SACD
« on: 6 May 2009, 01:24 pm »
I am trying to decide between getting a used oppo and just saving for a SB or Duet, would it be worthwhile to have a physical cheapie cd player around just to play SACDs, and DVDA?  I just got my EAC and media monkey running last night after a while of trying to find the FLAC stuff for Vista.  I know I am going to go to a network player in the future perhaps as a brithday present toward the end of the year.  The FLAC stuff sounds very good btw, thanks for the setup link whoever posted on a sticky.

Thanks
Jared

baumer

Re: FLAC rips VS SACD
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2009, 02:09 pm »
Jared,

I've been using a Duet for roughly a year now. I convert everything to FLAC and download it to a server that is in my basement. I have
every song available to me at the press of a button. No more looking through countless cd's (or lp's for that matter). The convenience
factor alone is worth the price.

Squeezeboxes are pretty straightforward in terms of set-up and the developers are constantly updating the software. My duet has been
the best piece of audio equipment that I have bought in ten years.

If you are thinking about streaming music via a network in the future, there's no need to waste your money on a cd player now.

Once you download your music and back it up, the best use for old cd's and lp's is target practice! 

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2009, 02:15 pm »
I have been using a Bolder modified SB3 for years now.

In my main system, I don't have any other source - in fact, I run the SB3 directly into my amps, it is my source, DAC and preamp!

I do still own devices that will play cd's (which I do retain), but they are all portable, or are PC's.

No looking back, absolutely none - between the extraordinary convenience, and the high quality sound, the future is NOW!

JRace

• Greetings one and Everyone!
« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2009, 02:17 pm »
depends on how much sacd you have.
dvda can be backuped to your computer, sacd can not.

WerTicus

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2009, 02:18 pm »
i have a lynx l22 im contemplating getting a SACD player just to record 24/192khz wav files of sacd's then put them on bit torrent for everyone to take :)

only fair use of course.

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2009, 02:38 pm »
I am trying to decide between getting a used oppo and just saving for a SB or Duet, would it be worthwhile to have a physical cheapie cd player around just to play SACDs, and DVDA?

PC based and/or streaming audio is the future. However, if you have a collection of DVD-A and SACDs that you want to keep in your listening rotation, then you will need a player. Denon universal players are widely available on the used market. If don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but were planning to get one, the new Oppo will also handle DVD-A and SACD. The reports from the beta testers have been very good and it should be available in a few more weeks.

WerTicus

« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2009, 02:52 pm »
not true, dvd-a was broken a while ago and you can rip the files to wav files with 'dvda explorer' the latest version is "DVDAExplorer2008.07.21"

rahimlee54

« Reply #7 on: 6 May 2009, 03:11 pm »

Once you download your music and back it up, the best use for old cd's and lp's is target practice! 

I still keep my Cds for the car thanks ;).  I am really big into computers now and I know computers will be running everything soon.  The only thing I wonder about on the squeezeboxs is how good are they with the stock power supply, my audio budget is currently limited to the wife's whim since I just got new speakers, she keeps mentioning a dining room table and I keep mentioning plywood and milk crates (that doesnt fly by the way).  The question I guess is does the stock squeezebox sound equivalent to the standard cd player.  I already have a PS3 for blu ray playback, I just didnt want to waste the expensive laser on cds.

Thanks
Jared

baumer

« Reply #8 on: 6 May 2009, 03:29 pm »
My ipod is hooked up to the USB port in my car stereo, so no more cd's there either.

It's such a subjective question, but here's my take. I would say that with the stock power supply, a squeezebox sounds as good as a standard cd player. I have a Bolder PS for my Duet and it really does improve the sound. I won't go into the differences since that's not an option for you right now. I will say that if you go this route (with a Squeezebox, or something else) it is worth your while to save up to buy a better PS.

By the way, don't forget that dining room table!

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #9 on: 6 May 2009, 03:50 pm »
not true, dvd-a was broken a while ago and you can rip the files to wav files with 'dvda explorer' the latest version is "DVDAExplorer2008.07.21"

Absolutely!

Works very well and is easy to use.

George

rahimlee54

« Reply #10 on: 6 May 2009, 03:56 pm »
My ipod is hooked up to the USB port in my car stereo, so no more cd's there either.

It's such a subjective question, but here's my take. I would say that with the stock power supply, a squeezebox sounds as good as a standard cd player. I have a Bolder PS for my Duet and it really does improve the sound. I won't go into the differences since that's not an option for you right now. I will say that if you go this route (with a Squeezebox, or something else) it is worth your while to save up to buy a better PS.

By the way, don't forget that dining room table!

I planned on getting the PS upgrade in the future, I just dont really do the any portable players, I usually listen to talk radio alot, catch the news and so forth so I can have more time at home to look things up here :).  Do the stock duet and SB3 sound the same, duet just having a fancy remote?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2009, 03:59 pm »

I still keep my Cds for the car thanks ;).  I am really big into computers now and I know computers will be running everything soon.  The only thing I wonder about on the squeezeboxs is how good are they with the stock power supply, my audio budget is currently limited to the wife's whim since I just got new speakers, she keeps mentioning a dining room table and I keep mentioning plywood and milk crates (that doesnt fly by the way).  The question I guess is does the stock squeezebox sound equivalent to the standard cd player.  I already have a PS3 for blu ray playback, I just didnt want to waste the expensive laser on cds.

Thanks
Jared

If you have a ps3, it can work! try this first...  (i haven't but have considered it)
http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2009/03/09/make-your-ps3-actual.html

rahimlee54

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2009, 04:32 pm »
I actually have my PS3 connected to a projector and I am trying to conserve the bulb, but I will give that a read and try sometime this weekend, perhaps tonight when I get home from work.

Cacophonix

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2009, 05:29 pm »
If you have a ps3, it can work! try this first...  (i haven't but have considered it)

I've all 3 media servers installed - tversity, windows media server, and ps3 media server. FLAC works on ps3 media server. And there is no such thing as sharing folders ... you can access pretty much the entire hard drive. Great application!

ebag4

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2009, 05:55 pm »
I am also using PS3 media server, it works great.  The only issue I have run into is that my wireless network is not quite fast enough to allow me to smoothly watch VOBs stored on a server PC, playback is choppy.  I can't really run ethernet to the PS3 so I am considering one of those devices that allow network to be run over the house wiring.  Has anyone tried these devices?  What did you think?

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2009, 06:24 pm »

Are the gains (if any) of DVD-A over CD maintained when ripping to WAV?

Thanks,
Ed

rahimlee54

« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2009, 07:27 pm »
I am also using PS3 media server, it works great.  The only issue I have run into is that my wireless network is not quite fast enough to allow me to smoothly watch VOBs stored on a server PC, playback is choppy.  I can't really run ethernet to the PS3 so I am considering one of those devices that allow network to be run over the house wiring.  Has anyone tried these devices?  What did you think?

Best,
Ed

The PS3's wireless card is very inconsistent, I have much better results by bridging a router and using that to recieve my wireless signal.  I also had problems with my computer not being powerful enough to run videos until I recently upgraded.  To bad I just missed a SB3 with the power mod.

Also does a DAC give the same results with SB as a CD?

TRADERXFAN

• Trillions will vanish... it's a debt blackhole.
    • GALLERY
« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2009, 07:51 pm »

I've all 3 media servers installed - tversity, windows media server, and ps3 media server. FLAC works on ps3 media server. And there is no such thing as sharing folders ... you can access pretty much the entire hard drive. Great application!

Cool. Thanks for verifying, I will give it a go on mine...

Now... who is going to step up and  mod the ps3!?!
 :icon_twisted:

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 6 May 2009, 09:40 pm »

Cool. Thanks for verifying, I will give it a go on mine...

Now... who is going to step up and  mod the ps3!?!
 :icon_twisted:

If someone wants to send me one, I would be happy to see what kind of mods can be done to it.  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #19 on: 6 May 2009, 10:30 pm »
i have a lynx l22 im contemplating getting a SACD player just to record 24/192khz wav files of sacd's then put them on bit torrent for everyone to take :)

only fair use of course.

What are 24/192 wav files of SACD's?  Are you letting a player or software down convert to 24/192 PCM, then ripping?  Cuz native SACD (DSD) can't be ripped, unlike MLP (up to 24/192).

As you stated DVDAExplorer is great.