FS: SME V Tonearm ........... MINT w all accessories.........!!!!SOLD!!!

toobluvr

The SME V is a fine, fine piece of engineering. One of the best arms available...period!

Looks great and built like a tank. Very easy to use and setup. Ingeniously simple method for setting overhang and correct cartridge geometry. Calibrated and repeatable settings for VTA, VTF, etc.  I can mount, set-up and dial in a cartridge in about 20 minutes!

This one is in excellent condition, nary a mark on it. Only a tiny lil smudge on the arm tube where it rests in the clip. Visible only if you look really really hard for it. No marring on headshell from screws. 8/10 on AG scale to be conservative, closer to 9/10.

Operationally perfect. Everything works smoothly and exactly as it should.

A few years ago I broke one of the tonearm wires.  I sent it back to SME for rewiring and refurbishment. This was a $700 makeover and in their words "completely brings the arm up to full new, perfect and current status".  Standard Silver Litz wiring was used....the same exact wire that goes into all current production SME arms. So this arm is good as new.  I have invoice for the work. Arm has had light use since I got it back.

It came back to me with a brand new factory double box.

Might be missing a cartridge mounting screw or two (easily found in any hardware store), but basically complete with all accessories a new arm would have:

*  mounting jig
*  headshell mounting hardware
*  arm mounting hardware
*  all tools / templates needed for setup, alignment and adjustments
*  damping fluid
*  VDH  phono cable   (90 degree DIN to RCA)
*  spare set of cartridge leads   (SME silver Litz)
*  guarantee card
*  instruction manual
*  invoice for refurbishment

Buy with confidence, I'm a respected AG member under "spelly".  You will be very happy with the condition and performance of this arm.

I accept PayPal or USPS m/o.  Add 3% for PayPal.

$2100 obo plus shipping.
$2000 obo.  At this price I will pay insured s/h to lower 48.

Current list on this arm is now $5300.

Thanks for looking!

~ John

« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2009, 05:17 pm by toobluvr »

toobluvr

Re: FS: SME V Tonearm ........... MINT w all accessories
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2009, 03:10 pm »

Bump for a great arm!

toobluvr

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2009, 08:47 pm »

Bump....for the Yankee win!

:thumb:

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2009, 08:05 pm »

Get dis-arm(ed)!!

:lol:

toobluvr

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:34 pm »
still available.

Yesterday brought this over (along with my Townshend Rock table + Dynavector 20X cart) and inserted it into my buddy's uber-expensive and very nice system.   It was incredible.  Heard it in a whole new light.  Slam, speed, pace and transparency in spades.  Hugely involving.  The kindof sound that rivets you to the chair and makes you wanna keep listening.

To be sure, a very modest setup compared to his $30k Brinkmann set-up that he just sold.   But he admitted that in many ways, much more enjoyable than the Brinkmann.  It also handily beats his very nice digital setup.

Let's put it this way, I never saw his foot tap so much....and I never saw him get into the music more......and I never saw a wider smile on his face as he listened.  To be honest, I don't think I've ever heard his system sound better.  His words as I was leaving:  "I'm gonna enjoy playing around with this thing!"

Surprised me how much better my vinyl setup sounds in his system than mine.  His system is better than mine for sure, but it was more than that.  It was synergy.  In my setup it is good, but kindof soft and somewhat pedestrian sounding.  In his system it became a monster.  Huge, driving and smoooth sound.  I never heard better midrange transparency, slam, pace and timing over there.  Drums and bass were incredible.  Simply rivetting!

Really showed me what this arm can do....even paired with a very modest table and cartridge.

Makes me wanna keep it, but I gotta get some $$ out of my system!

:(

Sorry all you digital fans arguing its superiority on that other thread, but even the best digital I have ever heard pales in comparison.  Not even close!  I surely haven't heard everything but in my experience,  a modest vinyl system that is setup right just destroys even a superb digital rig......IMHO.

Vinyl Rules!     :thumb:

« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2009, 02:02 pm by toobluvr »

whubbard

« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:46 pm »
$2100!
If only I had the cash right now...  :cry:

-West

2bigears

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2009, 02:53 pm »
 :D  obo   :D

toobluvr

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2009, 03:32 pm »
:D  obo   :D

OK Pat.....calm down.

Did I hire you as my salesman?!

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:18 pm »
:D sorry bout' that John.please no offense.i myself,very tempted to re-arm my affairs.that is one very sweet arm 8).must adminster more control.... :D

toobluvr

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2009, 05:52 pm »
:D sorry bout' that John.please no offense.i myself,very tempted to re-arm my affairs.that is one very sweet arm 8).must adminster more control.... :D

No problem, Pat.

Just don't want you talkin down my price......I find that buyers already know how to do that!

toobluvr

« Reply #10 on: 30 Apr 2009, 02:00 pm »

bump

whubbard

« Reply #11 on: 30 Apr 2009, 05:28 pm »
John,
Just a recommendation, you might want to turn to Ebay to move this arm.
I've seen SME arms moving their. Just start a $1 NR auction, and I wouldn't be surprised if you wound up with $2500+.
Make sure you mention it costs $5000 at the top of the ad!!!

Sorry I can't purchase this right now. I'm stuck with my Modded Rega RB250, and just upgraded my cart to a Koetsu Rosewood. My arm is most lacking part of my system, but I just can't spend cash right now.

-West

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 30 Apr 2009, 05:52 pm »
West,

You should go in debt to get this arm.   :o

Rosewood and SME arm make great sound.  You are not getting the Koetsu "bloom" if you are using a Rega 250.  I know.  I have tried that combination.  SME IV, OTOH, works great with Rosewood. V would be better.  :drool:

toobluvr

« Reply #13 on: 30 Apr 2009, 06:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion, West.
 :thumb:

I'll look into it.  

In the meantime.....I will listen to offers.      :wink:

"Show me da money"!

whubbard

« Reply #14 on: 30 Apr 2009, 06:04 pm »
I know, I know. [Stop temping me!  :nono:]
That's why I want it, so badly.
Now is just not the time to be spending so much. When the market recovers, then will be the time.

Essentially $2000, should the market recover, could be more like $3500 or $4000 in a little while. So I could hopefully pick up the arm with a bit of extra cash. Otherwise the $2000 is just gone if I just buy it now...

-West

toobluvr

« Reply #15 on: 30 Apr 2009, 06:07 pm »
PS:   read my post above......I could not believe what I heard this arm doing in my buddy's system when I brought it over there.   Had no idea it could do what I heard....and I've owned it for awhile!

Slam, speed and bass detail / articulation like I've never heard before.....ever...in any system....digital or analog...tubes or SS.   Mids and highs superb as well.  And this when paired with my very modest Townshend Rock 3 table and Dynavector 20X cartridge.  Not a sales pitch...just honestly what I heard.

Man...if it only sounded that way in my system!!
 :green:

Maybe the superiority of his system, which has gotta retail for over $40k if a penny, helped things along just a lil bit!

toobluvr

Reduced to $2000.

At this price, I will pay insured s/h to lower 48.

toobluvr

toobluvr

Fried-day bump!

toobluvr

I am close to a "pending sale".......

At this exact moment, still available.
But I don't know for how long.

Better act if interested.
 8)