High-Value Silver/Teflon Cable rollout test poll

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
  • Hand built high end amplifiers/cables from the USA
    • http://WWW.VERASTARR.COM
« on: 15 Dec 2003, 05:03 pm »
Hey Folks,
After spending a short while here on AC, I have realized most of you are very value oriented. We are contemplating releasing an "Silver Essential" Line of cables that would be a lower cost version of our Ultra Reference Silver/Teflon Speaker cables. We are thinking of releasing a 10 foot pair that retails for $250. It would be 99.999% pure Silver coated Oxygen free Copper with Teflon dielectric. 6-18Ga conductors per run, with passive Silver braid shielding and Teflon outer jacket. Connectors would be Silver over Copper with a Gold outer plating with choice of nanners or spades...
We would like to get a feel for the demand, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated !!

Thansk Guys!! (and Gals)
Mike
VERASTARR

Psychicanimal

« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2003, 09:14 pm »
I don't think the market needs another silver plated copper, Teflon insulated cable.  

Besides, Teflon is not a good dielectric for silver. :nono:

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2003, 03:46 am »
Thats strange, I wonder why so many people use it?
Anyway, our cable designs are here to stay, and our average price is $1000 for a 10 foot pair...we are trying to see if we can accomodate people who do not like to spend a lot of cash on cables.

What, in your opinion could the market use ?

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2003, 03:57 am »
Pyscho thinks the world needs more hemholz (sp?) resonators  :lol:

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:16 am »
Whoa Doggie!! Don't eat the brown Acid!!

Psychicanimal

« Reply #5 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:40 am »
Quote from: VeraStarr

If you have to ask this question you should not be in the cable business--no offense.

Anyway, our cable designs are here to stay, and our average price is $1000 for a 10 foot pair

You should hear my 65 cents/ft silver plated copper/Teflon military surplus cable.  When cryo'ed it was *uncomfortably* close to Pure Note Epsilon speaker cable.

I think the market is saturated.  There's very few innovators out there.

Quote from: Marbles
Pyscho thinks the world needs more hemholz (sp?) resonators  :lol:

I am building four sets of room lenses for my new near field listening room. Ever heard Helmholz resonators properly set up?

Once you get to listen to the Ridge Street Audio cables (highly polished silver w/ natural fiber insulation) you're going to have a paradigm shift.  You can look up the word paradigm in the dictionary.  For the record, Chuck Josephson knows more about audio than you ever will--fact of life.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 16 Dec 2003, 01:16 pm »
Quote from: Psychicanimal
For the record, Chuck Josephson knows more about audio than you ever will--fact of life.

Maybe...too early to tell, neither one of us are dead yet.

I will say that I know more about good decorating taste than Chuck!  :lol:

Verastar, the pic is from Chucks (mobile) home stereo room.

audiojerry

« Reply #7 on: 16 Dec 2003, 04:03 pm »
Psychic,
Maybe I'm getting old and prudish, but I don't know if it's fair to get so combative with commercial posters. I'd rather not discourage other vendors who may have great offers from posting deals to AC members. Some of us may not regard them as such, but maybe we should post those thoughts elsewhere.

I'd rather not attack the AC merchants on their own posts to sell items.
What do you think?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 16 Dec 2003, 05:46 pm »
Quote from: audiojerry
Psychic,
Maybe I'm getting old and prudish....

"Prudish"--does that mean well-mannered, tactful, showing social grace???
I guess that's what distinguishes man from the lower animals??

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 16 Dec 2003, 08:31 pm »
Whatever... mister "psychic". I always chuckle when folks bash something and then have no suggestions or solutions to support thier bashing..  I happen to know Teflon is a great dielectric..just ask Audioquest...do you think maybe they have money for R&D ????
Anyways, we will be releasing a entry level product that will retail for $250 for a 10 foot pair. If we did not know what we were doing we would not have the great reviews we get on our phenominal cable designs.
I guess our 2700 Watt amplifier is "too much power"...see you in the magazines, mr. grumpy jaded audio guy....

Psychicanimal

« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2003, 01:17 am »
Quote from: audiojerry
Psychic,
Maybe I'm getting old and prudish, but I don't know if it's fair to get so combative with commercial posters. I'd rather not discourage other vendors who may have great offers from posting deals to AC members. Some of us may not regard them as such, but maybe we should post those thoughts elsewhere.

I'd rather not attack the AC merchants on their own posts to sell items.
What do you think?

Dearest Jerry:

I am not being combative--and you are not getting old.  I gave my honest opinion.

I do think you suffer from the "Have to be nice" syndrome that's so pervasive (and dangerous) in USA.

Whatever... mister "psychic". I always chuckle when folks bash something and then have no suggestions or solutions to support thier bashing..

I am not your employee, so I do not have to solve your problems--and I have four sets of Ridge Street Audio MSE intrerconnects.  As I posted, they use natural fiber as insulation.  The Japanese have been using rice paper as dielectric for years--did you know about this? :o

I happen to know Teflon is a great dielectric..just ask Audioquest...do you think maybe they have money for R&D ????

Again, more proof that you do not know what you're talking about.

Anyways, we will be releasing a entry level product that will retail for $250 for a 10 foot pair. If we did not know what we were doing we would not have the great reviews we get on our phenominal cable designs.

Just make sure you compare them to the DIY efforts posted by people like Jon Risch and Chris VenHaus.  Back in high school we called Julian Hirsch "The whore", so that tells you what I think of reviews...

I guess our 2700 Watt amplifier is "too much power"...see you in the magazines, mr. grumpy jaded audio guy....

As for 3,000 watts, that does not impress me at all.  I love my old Marantz Esotec 30W class A monoblocks.  They have outstanding circuit topology and incredibly musical sound. I don't buy audio magazines and I'm not grumpy--just blunt.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2003, 01:50 am »
n/t

Psychicanimal

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:03 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Psychicanimal, I think Jerry make a very good point at the risk of trying to be "nice" to you. Instead of "having to be nice", you find it better to have a "having to be an asshole" attitude. :roll: And to be further blunt, I don't feel your doing Robert Schult any favors by bringing up his products in your rants against other cable manufacturers. He doesn't need his type of publicity. His cables talk much more "nicely" than you I'm afraid. Regards, Robin

I am not giving Robert any publicity, Robin.  All I did was tell this guy that I took care of the matter by buying an alternative product.  Could have been some other British or Japanes product w/ natural insulation.  Neither this is a "rant against other cable manufacturers".   I just write things as I see them.  It is obvious Vera Starr doen't know what he's talking about so much that he has to resort to another company's supposed R&D efforts.  Yeah, right.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2003, 02:23 am »
n/t

Psychicanimal

« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:11 am »
Quote from: satfrat
Sorry Fransisco, right or wrong, it doesn't justify coming into a thread and bluntly stating your opinions shredded with disrespect. Even if your right, it's all lost in the presentation. I think Jerry hit the nail on the head with tis one. Just my opinion and you know I've always respected yours. The presentation??? that's another matter. Regards, Robin

Let's get the bearings straight.  This is what I originally responded:

I don't think the market needs another silver plated copper, Teflon insulated cable.  

Besides, Teflon is not a good dielectric for silver. :nono:

Then I go on and...

VeraStarr wrote:

If you have to ask this question you should not be in the cable business--no offense.

VeraStarr wrote:
Anyway, our cable designs are here to stay, and our average price is $1000 for a 10 foot pair  

You should hear my 65 cents/ft silver plated copper/Teflon military surplus cable. When cryo'ed it was *uncomfortably* close to Pure Note Epsilon speaker cable.

VeraStarr wrote:

I think the market is saturated. There's very few innovators out there.

I don't see any disrespect in my posting.  I don't intend to slam the guy for liking Teflon, but if he doesn't know the reasons of its use he should not be in the cable business--period (same goes for granite--ouch!).  I don't intend to offend him but he should do his homework.  He's not in this forum to offer 'value' products to the crowd, that's for sure.

You are welcome to dissect this in a rational way, Robin.

MaxCast

« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:28 am »
I have to agree with satfrat and jerry.  While Verrastarr did ask for a poll  Fransisco's bluntness comes off as thread craping.

ABEX

« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:45 am »
Experimented with Silver Plated Copper. For the cost I found I could just as well use Pure Silver.

Never tried anything that was Copper over Silver.Of what I understand electrons mostly move or use the outer circumference of the wire so it would be using the copper for the most part.

Would take alot of experimentation to get the plating right in relation to the inner core to achieve the appropriate sonic traits. Atleast that is what I would want to do if I were to use a plated wire. Thought about it when I worked for a few plating Cos..

Interesting!

VeraStarr

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2003, 03:56 am »
First off, I do know what I am talking about, or the business would not grow as it has. The question about everybody using Teflon was sarcastic. If it was crap, nobody would use it !!, especially the big names. I am happy for you that you like someone else's design.  If you know so much about audio, why did you not respond to my question about what the market needs ? Surely all of us would like you to impart some of your profound knowledge. Again, a stab about granite..I guess EgglestonWorks knows nothing either...

eico1

« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:06 am »
Psych answer the question, I don't get the problem here. What kind of poll was this?

steve

markC

« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2003, 04:08 am »
I, for one, do not feel it's right to bash a product,( without having even seen it, let alone heard it). If it is an affordable cable, (some of us either cannot afford or are too intelligent to live beond our means), then why not give it a try without the negativity? I would be willing to check out this cable in my system,especially if they come in a bi-wire config. Or is that no good either? Remember- LIGHTEN UP, it's only audio!