SqueezeBox ReBox MKII

Wayne1

SqueezeBox ReBox MKII
« on: 8 Apr 2009, 05:15 pm »
I recently finished up a ReBox MKII custom mod for good friend brj's brother.

I used a smaller chassis than what was used in the original Re-Box project

$6,000.00 SqueezeBox aka ReBox

It uses two completely separate transformers to separate the power supplies. One supplies the voltage for the networking and display.
I used a BOLDER "Standard" PS for that. I used an Ultimate PS to supply the power to the DAC chip and to a Paul Hynes shunt regulator for the clock circuit and digital output. The SB3 donor unit already had Statement level mods done to it.

This is one very good looking and sounding unit. I have one more front panel on hand to do another Re-Box type mod.

That is the dark stained one on top of this picture. I might be able to be convinced to part with the lacewood for the right price  :wink:

These are custom mods that will not be offered through the website. If anyone is interested, please get in touch with me by e-mail or PM.

A tubed, analog output section can be added to the Re-Box. I do have a couple of these I have been experimenting with on-hand.

This level of Re-Box mod is quite a bit less expensive than the first one. With that, I was pushing the limits to see how far I could take a unit. The Re-Box MKII is a bit more sane in the power supply section. The tube stage, currently under consideration, also is quite a bit less expensive.

Pez

Re: SqueezeBox ReBox MKII
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2009, 06:57 pm »
That's a hot looking faceplate.  :o

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 8 Apr 2009, 07:01 pm »
YOU NEED IT, Jason.  :lol:

It would work well with your new speakers.

Get all the goodies you can, now. Once the little one arrives, there will be no time and less money for Daddy's toys.

Pez

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2009, 07:35 pm »
lol I need speakers first. Tyson isn't exactly giving them up until he has replacements. The Jerk. :evil:

brj

« Reply #4 on: 10 Apr 2009, 12:27 am »
Quote from: Pez
That's a hot looking faceplate.  :o

The faceplate as it appears in this photo is slightly redder than in person due to the lighting.  (I may also have the saturation setting on my camera ticked up slightly at the moment.)  I kept waiting for good lighting to take some better photos, but it was a lousy, cloudy weekend full of visiting friends and time ran out before I had to return it to Wayne for shipment out to the new owner.  I was kind enough to help break in all of those new Blackgates, however! :lol:

anthony a.

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2009, 03:36 pm »
beautiful piece of work wayne.  me personally, i like the black faceplate the best. 

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:00 pm »
Wayne,

Is this rebox mkII still only for SB3?  What about the models Duet and SB2?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:07 pm »
Very nice Wayne.   :thumb:

I am sure it sounds as good or better than it looks!

It is also excellent that you were able to reduce the price.

I wish you the best of luck.

George

brj

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2009, 04:42 pm »
For reference, I think the primary differences that affected the price:

1) Bybees - 7 in the 1st unit including 2 Super Effect Purifiers, none (maybe one?) in the 2nd.
2) Tube output stage - all-out stage in the 1st unit (estimated at $2k retail cost in the other thread), none in the 2nd (Wayne made sure there was room to include it later if desired, however)

Other than that, I believe that the units are virtually identical in terms of mod level and circuit design, with a possible exception in that I think Wayne figured out how to get an extra Hynes regulator in there by the time he did the 2nd unit.  (Or was it moving the regulator closer to the DAC chip?)

Wayne would have to confirm this, as I'm going from memory, and the number of options that Wayne has discussed is enough to make a person's eyes glaze over unless they are taking careful notes!

For what it's worth, this unit has been built up over roughly 3 years.  First a modded Elpac was added.  Then full internal mods.  Then the rebox.  At each step, the level of mods was selected to make sure that everything could be retained going forward as future mods became available.  This occasionally meant a financial stretch to a higher level of mods than might have been appreciated or utilized at the time, but the goal of no waste or re-work was met.  Wayne has been excellent in supporting this philosophy, and thus the current unit is far more advanced than could have been afforded originally.  And, as I said, there is room in the rebox for that tube output stage (or anything else) at a later date!

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:12 pm »
anthony a,

As mentioned, I do have the black faceplate and a chassis on hand. Drop me a line and we can discuss fitting a SB3 in one for you  :icon_lol:

woodsyi,

I do not have any plans to offer a case for the SB2. The unit is discontinued and certain parts are not longer available.

A ReBox for the DUET is a very strong possibility. Perhaps something might be able to be done in time for RMAF.

The power supply used in the ReBox MKII is not quite as bleeding edge as the one in the first ReBox. There were four Jensen PS caps, and lots more Bybees, as brj mentioned. The tube output section used in the first ReBox was a modded parafeed design based on Jim Hagerman's Castanet. Quite a few V-cap OIMP and TFTF, Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold, Obligatto Film Oil caps, Sonicaps, Sonicap Platinum caps and Lundahl step-up transformers were also involved to raise the price up.

I do have some of the DIYHIFISUPPLY universal tube output stages on hand. These sound VERY good, use a single tube, invert the signal polarity and output 2 volts. A perfect match for a modded SB3.

I have been slowly working on an octal output stage that could use either the 12SN7 or 6SN7. Sometime in the fall, this may be available.

KJ

« Reply #10 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:28 pm »

Here's a pic in natural lighting, although the uploaded file makes it appear more brown that it is in person.  I'd say it somewhere between the first pic in this thread and the one I just attached.  Wayne's photo from the three face plates is the closest.

Probably still have another 300 hours of burn in to go, but sounding good so far.  Thanks Wayne.

Olivier

« Reply #11 on: 6 Aug 2009, 02:14 pm »
I have been slowly working on an octal output stage that could use either the 12SN7 or 6SN7. Sometime in the fall, this may be available.

Hello Wayne

Is it still a live project ?
As fas as I can recall, a tube output stage can give some very good results  :)

Cheers
Olivier

Wayne1

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2009, 01:18 am »
Olivier,

The tube output project is still alive, barely.

I still have the DIYHiFiSupply boards.

The octal design will get another chance after I finish building Tyson's headphone amp.

There are a lot of new to me ideas being explored in that project. I will have to see how that translates to an analog line stage for the SqueezeBox.

The last of the front panels for the Rebox build has been sold.

Maybe something similar can be done with the new Touch.

Olivier

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2009, 05:08 pm »
Wayne,

Can we imagine using this kind of output with a DUET one day, or it's resolutely for SB3 ?!
I would love to read your point of view on this vs the regular output (pro/against)... :wink:

Cheers

Olivier

Wayne1

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2009, 02:35 pm »
Olivier,

Yes. I hope to be able to offer a non-phase inverting, tube output stage for the DUET.

It would, perhaps, be a second product after the phase inverting with gain output stage for the SB2 and SB3 mods.

The output stage on the DUET can be made to sound very good, but it is a low voltage, low current output. A tube can present some magical qualities to the sound. Octal tubes especially.