Headphone mania circle

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
Headphone mania circle
« on: 6 Apr 2009, 02:26 am »
I would like to thank the powers at large for letting us have this this circle and also the people who voted in the pole.

ED

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Headphone mania circle
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2009, 04:55 am »
              Good luck with the Headphone Circle Ed..... :beer:

cryoparts

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2009, 05:11 am »
We need to get some of the heapdhone smileys!

Peace,

Lee

Mariusz

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2009, 05:45 am »

:thumb:

Thebiker

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2009, 08:49 am »
Happy threads Ed :thumb:.

I'll be dropping by hoping to get a recommendation for something in the $150-$200 range.  Just thinking about getting back into a set of cans.

Walt

mbakes

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2009, 11:54 pm »
Happy threads Ed :thumb:.

I'll be dropping by hoping to get a recommendation for something in the $150-$200 range.  Just thinking about getting back into a set of cans.

Walt
Walt, there are a lot of choices.  To you care about buying used?  You can get a Sennheiser HD580 for the low end of your range (probably less) and an HD600 for the upper range (HD650 if you are lucky).  Also, a Grado SR-225 is a consideration.  You will need an amp for the Senn as they are 300 ohm where the Grado is 32.  The Grados are better with the right amp as well.  There are other choices as well like the Beyerdynamic 770 and 880.  That gives you a start.  The Senns improve dramatically, imo, with an aftermarket cable.  I've used most of them at one time or another.  I currently have a cable made by a friend of mine. 

Ed, if you need any help with anything let me know.

Thebiker

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:03 am »
Thanks mbakes!

I consider used in most areas, but I not sure if I will for headphones....strikes me as kind of personal :scratch:.

I'm familiar with the some of the Sennheiser line and have owned Grado in the past, SR-80 if memory serves.

Walt

mbakes

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:17 am »
Thanks mbakes!

I consider used in most areas, but I not sure if I will for headphones....strikes me as kind of personal :scratch:.

I'm familiar with the some of the Sennheiser line and have owned Grado in the past, SR-80 if memory serves.

Walt
I've bought so many pairs of used headphones.  The people that own the better stuff generally take care of their gear but I can understand the hesitance.  I've also been to so many meets and have tried so many different pairs of headphones that I long ago stopped worrying.  Good luck in the search. 

BradJudy

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2009, 01:28 am »
I've bought many used headphones.  Most of the high-end ones I have owned have been used, except for my Westones and Etymotics.  Buying used on HeadFi has worked out well for me.  I resold most of them for about what I paid, so there was very little cost to trying them out that way. 

mbakes

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2009, 12:35 pm »
I've bought many used headphones.  Most of the high-end ones I have owned have been used, except for my Westones and Etymotics.  Buying used on HeadFi has worked out well for me.  I resold most of them for about what I paid, so there was very little cost to trying them out that way. 
The for sale forums at Head-Fi are the best source for used headphone gear.  I have close to 200 transactions over there.  My username is tyrion.

jrebman

« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:48 pm »
Thanks Ed for facilitating and getting this circle started.

I've just really started to listen to headphones in the last year and it is definitely something I've grown to enjoy, so glad there's a new headphone circle on AC.

-- Jim

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #11 on: 7 Apr 2009, 03:26 pm »
Yes, thanks ED for getting things up and running.
I'm a headphone listener more and more these days.

Mbakes,

Good to see you here and we welcome your contributions.  I think Mbakes is a very good resource, I believe his ears have heard many o' phones and so on.  I enjoyed attending a few head-fi meets he helped put together.

krmathis

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:35 pm »
Another headphone user checking in.
Great to see more communities getting their eyes/ears open to headphones. Enjoy!   :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2009, 06:22 am »
.... :lol:

cryoparts

« Reply #14 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:15 am »

cryoparts

« Reply #15 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:16 am »

Ha, I really like the dude with the big 'ol honkin grey cans on! 

LEe

Alonski

« Reply #16 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:53 pm »
Just joining this circle.

The most exhilarating sound I've heard in 35 years as an audiofool has come from headphones. First, a set of Stax electrostatic cans driven by their own class A solid state amp blew me away in the late 80's... now, I'm equally floored by my new Ray Samuels Audio RAPTOR tubed headphone amp driving AKG 702s (that took over 300 hours of burn in before they really came alive!).

Glad to see I'm not the only nutcase out there.

Alón

Mariusz

« Reply #17 on: 13 Apr 2009, 07:25 pm »
one more:

cryoparts

« Reply #18 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:54 am »
Just joining this circle.

The most exhilarating sound I've heard in 35 years as an audiofool has come from headphones. First, a set of Stax electrostatic cans driven by their own class A solid state amp blew me away in the late 80's... now, I'm equally floored by my new Ray Samuels Audio RAPTOR tubed headphone amp driving AKG 702s (that took over 300 hours of burn in before they really came alive!).

Glad to see I'm not the only nutcase out there.

Alón

Welcome!   :thumb:

Lee

F-100

« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2009, 04:50 pm »
Another newbie headphone user joining the group.
I have a Yamamoto HA-02 headphone amp and ATH W1000 on the way from Japan.  :D :D
Can't wait to experience the sound.