7B SST SQ Review(s)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
7B SST SQ Review(s)
« on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:13 pm »
Hi All,

First of the 7B SST SQ reviews in Enjoy The Music - 4th review down on the list.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/

james

drummermitchell

Re: 7B SST SQ Review(s)
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:41 pm »
Great review,if they are close to the 28s,which I think they are then,
if you can afford the ticket,climb aboard the "B" train,it's quite the emotioal ride.

95Dyna

« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:00 pm »
Congratulations James.  Like so many Bryston product reviews they are as much about the company itself as they are about the particular product being reviewed.  I had already decided on a pair of 7B's before this review but was anxiously waiting to read it to make me feel better about not going the 28B route.  The 28's are just a tad to big for me placement and mobility-wise (I'm not getting any younger). 

Bill

drummermitchell

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:09 pm »
Cograts Bill :thumb:,i'm still dragging my knuckles on the floor from yesterday(I had to move them(28s) a bit.

95Dyna

« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2009, 06:04 pm »
Cograts Bill :thumb:,i'm still dragging my knuckles on the floor from yesterday(I had to move them(28s) a bit.

And, as I recall from another post I have you by 5 years, Drummer.  You can appreciate the temptaion to risk life and limb slinging a pair of 92 lb. amps around in exchange for the sound.  If I can get in the neighborhood with the 7's I'll be happy with the tradeoff.  I'm thinking they may match up with my Infinity 9 Kappas as they are similar in structure and spec. to the Legacy Audio Focus 20/20's used in the review (save for a nasty impedence dip to .8 ohms in the 20-23 Hz range).

Bill

werd

« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2009, 07:11 pm »
I am really glad to read the way that reviewer emphasized playback at low volumes. I think its a major improvement to the amp series and opens the doors to a whole different genre of marketing oppurtunities. I have said this before but my 300watt 4bsq outshines alot of high quality low power tubes amp for this type of listening. It offers a lush blooming soundstage with the sensation of huge headroom at late nite listening... all the micro dynamics that can get lost with huge power supplies remain all intact. I also agreed  with his comments on Bryston not being IC immune, meaning cabling can change out the soundstage(for the good and the bad). All in all its a review that i felt at home with.

drummermitchell

« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:08 pm »
Hi Bill,I heard somewhere the 7B-SST2,get you around 98%to where the 28s are at,-extra power and weight.
what pre are you using,I had a grand experience with the 26 for a few days,I was so charged up I ordered one.I thought  my Av-8 was good but this is  :scratch:,i think I reached the summit on the mountain,I'm sure it's a combination of all,26 BCD-1,28s,Torus,cables ect.The 26 just brought everything together,
beautifully.Any cograts on the 7s.

95Dyna

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:20 pm »
Hi Bill,I heard somewhere the 7B-SST2,get you around 98%to where the 28s are at,-extra power and weight.
what pre are you using,I had a grand experience with the 26 for a few days,I was so charged up I ordered one.I thought  my Av-8 was good but this is  :scratch:,i think I reached the summit on the mountain,I'm sure it's a combination of all,26 BCD-1,28s,Torus,cables ect.The 26 just brought everything together,
beautifully.Any cograts on the 7s.

Hi Drummer,

I have drunk the Bryston Kool Aide and will ordering a BP26P as well as the BCD1.  Thanks to James, Mike and circle members like you I have become comfortable with this choice.  It's been a big help to me in the absense of dealers in my area and the ability to audition.  Truth be known I have never seen a 7B let alone heard one (or two I should say).  This "Enjoy The Music" review confirms all the conclusions I have drawn in the process of my evaluation and is also very helpful.

Regards,

Bill

drummermitchell

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:30 pm »
Hi Bill,I meant,congrats on the 7s.I'm finding with each pc I aquire it(musically)just soars up and up.
You are getting as bad as me,as of yesterday I ordered also the BDA-1.I've heard that some folk could not hear the difference between the BDA and the BCD-1(I do have a BCD-1),but I was thinking of hooking her up to my(TV satellite receiver) to see how she works with the music from the satellite.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #9 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:01 pm »
You know, I wish I hadn't read that...now I want those 7Bs even more!

klao

« Reply #10 on: 4 Apr 2009, 06:42 pm »
Yesterday, I got a chance to listen to the new 7B-SST Sq at a local dealer's demo room with BCD-1, BP-26, ProAc Response D100 speakers, and all Audioquest cablings.  Totally high resolution, non-fatiquing, and musically satisfying experience.  Image depth was amazing and comparable to the Audio Research 610T partnered with Sonus Faber Strad I listened in other dealer some time ago.     

Had not the global economy turned bad, I would have already been the proud owner of the new 7B's yesterday.  :drool:  Go for them guys!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2009, 01:08 am »
I will...someday.

95Dyna

« Reply #12 on: 6 Apr 2009, 06:49 pm »
Yesterday, I got a chance to listen to the new 7B-SST Sq at a local dealer's demo room with BCD-1, BP-26, ProAc Response D100 speakers, and all Audioquest cablings.  Totally high resolution, non-fatiquing, and musically satisfying experience.  Image depth was amazing and comparable to the Audio Research 610T partnered with Sonus Faber Strad I listened in other dealer some time ago.     

Had not the global economy turned bad, I would have already been the proud owner of the new 7B's yesterday.  :drool:  Go for them guys!

Hi klao, did you happen to take not of which Audioquest cables were in use?

Bill

klao

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2009, 04:54 am »

Hi klao, did you happen to take not of which Audioquest cables were in use?

Bill

Hello Bill,
The cables were Colorado IC's and Mont Blanc SC's; not sure they were balanced / bi-wired.
Klao

gtaphile

« Reply #14 on: 25 Apr 2009, 03:27 pm »
I installed a pair of 7B’s in my system last week after upgrading from a 6BST (SST). After a few days of warm up and overcoming some power issues I settled in for some listening. Right away I noticed a deeper soundstage and a more detailed and analytical presentation. As well voices had an eerie like quality over a silent background. On each track I noticed that the system was clearly resolving subtle nuances that were just starting to surface with the 6B and the bass definition and weight were much improved. The low level listening performance that Bryston claims was also confirmed with subtle details coming through at very low levels. 

« Last Edit: 10 May 2009, 02:02 pm by gtaphile »

KimKman

« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2009, 08:56 pm »
On the Bryston website I see a 7B SST2 C Series and a 7B SST2 Pro-Series

What is the difference?

C Series
http://bryston.com/7bsst_m.html

Pro Series
http://bryston.com/7bsstpro_m.html

Have pretty much made up my mind to purchase these but now am just working out the how to do so part. No dealers near me.

I did see on one of the pro series where it had completely adjustable gain control which might be good in my application where I am considering using them for a bi-amp application.

Thanks much,
Kim Kman

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2009, 09:11 pm »
Hi Kim,

The Pro versions only come in Black 19 inch rackmount faceplates and have volume controls on each channel.

james

KimKman

« Reply #17 on: 25 Apr 2009, 09:19 pm »
Wow! That was fast :) thanks !!

Ok, cool, the Pro series will be best for my fiddling with bi-amping I believe.

Regards,
Kim Kman

KimKman

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2009, 04:54 am »
I was told the Pro would cost me more than the C-Series. If the difference between the two, C-Series vs. Pro, is the faceplates and the Pro has volume controls on each channel how could that significantly affect the price? At a retail MSRP can you tell me how much more the 7B SST SQ Pro should be over the MSRP of the 7B SST SQ C-Series. May be right but I would like to check.

Thanks,
Kim Rossey

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2009, 05:27 am »
I was told the Pro would cost me more than the C-Series. If the difference between the two, C-Series vs. Pro, is the faceplates and the Pro has volume controls on each channel how could that significantly affect the price? At a retail MSRP can you tell me how much more the 7B SST SQ Pro should be over the MSRP of the 7B SST SQ C-Series. May be right but I would like to check.

Thanks,
Kim Rossey

Hi Kim,

Whomever told you that is incorrect- they are the same price.
Can I ask who told you that - send me an email at jamestanner@bryston.com

Thanks,

james