Good usb dac ??

rtate

Good usb dac ??
« on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:05 am »
I want to get my feet wet in the PC audio area...
I would like some recommendations for USB dacs
Under consideration so far... Trends usb10, Fubar,Keces,Zero dac and Zaholu

Are one of these head and shoulders above?
Is there something else I should be looking at?
I will be using the analog outs to a Nad integrated amp...

Opinions/suggestions please   :D

ebag4

Re: Good usb dac ??
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:11 am »
I haven't heard the DACs you listed but I am really enjoying my MHDT Havana DAC.  Enjoy The Music has a excellent review by our very own Scott Faller.  Here is the link:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1208/mhdt_labs_havana.htm
Best,
Ed

rtate

« Reply #2 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:22 am »
ebag4 that looks like a wonderful piece but probably way above my budget.

I thinking used $150 to 300 Cad.

gray49

« Reply #3 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:24 am »
I use the Fubar with the Supplier Power Supply...
Very pleased...
Peace...
Stuart

ebag4

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2009, 12:28 am »
ebag4 that looks like a wonderful piece but probably way above my budget.

I thinking used $150 to 300 Cad.

Sorry about that, yes a bit over budget.  Many on this sight as well as other sites sing the praises of Peter Daniels AudioSector DAC, there is a USB version and I believe it falls very close to your budget.  Do a search and you will find numerous threads.

Good Luck!
Ed

rtate

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:04 pm »
what about a Scott Nixon usb dac?
Has anybody heard these??

Maxdd_nj

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2009, 02:26 pm »
If you're looking for something to test the waters with, you have a steady hand, & are good with a soldering iron check out the BantamDac. The parts cost me less that $40 and after a short break-in period I'm pretty happy with its sound. If you're not doing greater-than CD resolution from your computer it's a great solution. I built the "cable version" - a perfect companion for a laptop: check it out

rtate

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2009, 04:00 pm »
That does look interesting...
My desktop music is mostly mp3 however I do plan on ripping my cd collection in a lossless format....
DIY is fine for me...
I would like to stay around $200 US shipped to Canada for a kit or used unit.
Many say that the Zero Dac has the best bang for the buck....

chadh

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2009, 07:53 pm »

You might get lucky on this auction: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?dgtlconv&1237857534&1237491879

I have no affiliation with the seller.

Chad

boead

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2009, 12:43 pm »
what about a Scott Nixon usb dac?
Has anybody heard these??

yeah, many have.

I have the USB-TD with Scott's newest upgrade and PSU. Awesome littel DAC, search the site.

mcgsxr

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:26 pm »
Good seeing you around here Robert, I noticed this on Canuck this AM - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/120618-blue_circle_usb_thingee/

I have not heard one, but Blue Circle has a great reputation... well reviewed here - http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/blue_circle_usb_thingee.htm

Stretch your budget around $100-$125 more and pick up a new SB3 and have that wireless control too!

mbakes

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2009, 02:44 pm »
A company called Headamp is releasing a small usb dac with both rca outs and mini outs.  It's called the Pico Upsampling USB DAC.  This the same dac that is in the Pico portable headphone amp/dac.  I've spent a lot of time with the prototype and sold my Apogee Duet because I felt the Pico was that good.  I've owned the Wavelength Cosecant which is a great dac but in the end I felt the Apogge Duet was better in terms of what I was looking for in sound quality.  The first hundred of these dacs are being offered at $299 (Justin from Headamp may have reached that max already but he could extend it if the demand continues as it has).  I don't think you will find anything out there as good at the price and even at higher prices.  I have no affiliation with Headamp other than being a friend of Justin from various audio meets I've met him at and being a customer.

Here is a write up I did with a pic of the prototype back in December:

Justin has changed the Pico, one of the finest, if not the finest, portable headphone amp/DAC combination into one of the finest home/portable usb DACs around.

I’ve had the opportunity to audition the prototype to a new Headamp product that I believe will go into production not too long down the road.  I think I have been using it in my speaker and headphone rig for at least the past month.  It is a portable/home DAC only Pico.  I have only used it as a  home source since it arrived.  Here are some pics:

As you can see, it is not a finished product.  Basically the DAC board in a Pico case without the front and rear panels.  It uses RCA outputs only and a usb mini input.  I owned a Pico headphone amp/DAC for a while and used the DAC as a source on a few occasions.  However, it required me to use the headphone out as the output to me rig which added another amp into the signal path.  I found it to be an excellent source but not quite as good as my Apogee Duet.  I am committed to using a computer as a source and currently have a Mac Mini and Apogee Duet as my main digital source.  I’ve found the Duet to rival digital sources in the $1000 to $2000 range.  The Duet is limited to Mac only which leaves as an option for a smaller percentage of the overall market, which is unfortunate.

In comes the DAC only Pico.  I immediately moved it into my system and did some quick A/B tests and was instantly surprised at the sound quality.  I then kept it as my main digital source for a couple of weeks without using the Duet at all.  I then went back to the Duet for a while and then did some more A/B comparisons.  My rig at the moment consists of a KGSS DX amplifier and a Stax SRD-7 mkii with Lambda Sigs, borrowed O2 and He Audio 1.2b.  I also ran it through my speaker rig which consists of a Berendsen Pre-1 SE preamp, TAD Hibachi monoblocks and System Audio Ranger speakers.

Overall, I am not sure which I prefer.  The Pico is good enough that I could easily ditch the Duet and live happily ever after with the Pico (happily ever after is relative when it comes to me buying and selling gear).  I’ve listened to all sorts of music since coming into possession of the Pico.  There has not been anything I’ve heard that I didn’t feel was done justice through the Pico.  There is no high end glare or harshness. The detail is produced by this DAC is stunning.  Upright bass sounds like the string is being pulled and you have your ear up to the instrument.  Finger slides on acoustic guitar are clearly heard to the point where you almost feel it yourself.  The bottom end is equally impressive.  From Ray Brown to Victor Wooten to Marcus Miller to Particia Barber (gobs of bass in her recordings). The bass is deep, powerful and precise.  The bass has weight to it. Mids sound beautiful.  The human voice is reproduced with such a realistic quality that if you close your eyes you can get fooled into believing you are getting your own private concert. (alright, some exaggeration but you get what I’m saying).

Soundstage is equally impressive.  It produces a as good an image as the rest of your gear will permit.  It is neither aggressive nor laid back.  It has a very smooth overall presentation that sounds refined to my ears.  Instruments have a realistic timbre or tone.

I tend not to start impression threads these days as I don’t have the ability to put into words the feelings imparted from a listening experience as others are able to do.  I tend to be more general in my comments, as I have been here.  That is how I listen to music.  I don’t try to determine how good a piece of gear sounds but rather how much enjoyment I get from listening to a piece of music.  I am sure there are better DACs and other digital sources out there.  I’ve probably heard them over the years but I tell you this little DAC reaches the good enough for me standard.  I will likely have a cdp sometime down the road but I don’t think it would be instead of the Pico just in addition to it.  I’ve owned a Wavelength Cosecant in the past and thought that was the end of the line for me until the Duet arrived.  Whether I will dump the Duet for the Pico remains to be seen but I will have a Pico assuming it goes into production.  It is every bit the equal of the Duet and I would not take argument with anyone who found the Pico to be superior.  It is that good.  Both DACs are in a class well above there price point.  The Pico sounds better than any product under $500 should (not sure of the price but assume it will be under $500).

rtate

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2009, 05:06 pm »
If I'm going to spend $300, Then I think I should be considering units like the Audio-GD  Compass which looks very good...
Even the Zero Dac at $200 looks to be a good piece...
The entry level dacs all seem pretty similar I'm looking for somthing that jumps out from the rest of the pack..
I also figured going the "pre-owned " route would help.

mbakes

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2009, 06:21 pm »
I didn't realize you were looking to keep this under $300.  If you live or have an opportunity to be in the LA area at the end of May, there is a good chance all of the usb dacs your are looking and others will be present at an event called CanJam '09 at the LAX Hilton.  Good luck with the search.

mcgsxr

jrebman

« Reply #15 on: 7 Apr 2009, 02:28 pm »
rtate,

Just to clarify, the Zero dac is no longer made, and there were lots of QC issues with the last units.  The Audio GD Compass is the redesign of the Zero dac, and is currently still selling for $258 on special until full production ramps up.

A lot of the head-fi'ers love this dac/headamp.  I've not heard it myself so can't comment on anything but the history and naming issue you should be aware of.

Be careful buying a used Zero dac.

-- Jim

rtate

« Reply #17 on: 7 Apr 2009, 03:21 pm »
Thanks for the links, very good reading!!!

After much research I think I am going to try a usb dac from "HotAudio"
They make a product called "dac straight" that takes the output right off the       d/a chip with no op amps in the circuit.
The d/a is a BB2702 and the units are hand made with silver solder and so far I have gotten great support from Dave at HotAudio with all my questions.

I would be interested to know if anyone here has tried any of these products.

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: 7 Apr 2009, 03:53 pm »
rtate,

This is the only thing that concerns me about this dac:

This headphone amplifier has NO controls so it works exactly like the sound card
in your computer.
   You control it the same way using your computer to control volume, select songs,
etc.

Translation: there is no volume control and thus volume control is done in the digital domain, which can downgrade signal quality, especially at low volumes.

Unless he's implemented a digitally controlled analog control like the Wavelength Proton, but at this price point, I'd very much doubt it.

Just something to consider.

-- Jim

tvyankee

« Reply #19 on: 7 Apr 2009, 03:57 pm »
the thing that concerns me is that it does not support any hirez format. it only handles 48k. the whole purpose for computer audio is so you can listen to those hirez kick ass audio files.