Good usb dac ??

jrebman

Re: Good usb dac ??
« Reply #20 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:02 pm »
No non-oversampling dac will support high-res files fully, and nothing over 16-bit.  Also, there are only a very small handful of products -- much more expensive ones -- that will do anything over 48khz sampling rate with USB.

The StyleAudio Topaz I mentioned earlier will do 24/192 via the optical port, but only up to 16/48 via USB.

High-res is another world if you want USB, and not cheap.

-- Jim

the thing that concerns me is that it does not support any hirez format. it only handles 48k. the whole purpose for computer audio is so you can listen to those hirez kick ass audio files.

tvyankee

« Reply #21 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:05 pm »
i think the emu 0404 will support 24/192(usb) for under 200 bucks according to computer audiofile

jrebman

« Reply #22 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:21 pm »
You may be right, but I thought that only worked with the firewire connection.  I had one for a while, but the software interface wouldn't work with my screen reader software, so I sold it.

-- Jim

rtate

« Reply #23 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:34 pm »
This model is not meant for headphones, so I will control the volume through my integrated amp.
Ther are other models that do have a volume control for headphones.

jrebman

« Reply #24 on: 7 Apr 2009, 04:50 pm »
Ok, then it looks like it will do the job nicely then.

Forgive me, my mind is wrapped up in a search for a good, high-res USB dac that won't break the bank and has remote, analog-domain volume control to function as a preamp, and so far the only thing that even comes close is the Wavelength Proton.  Not what you're looking for, I realize, but I've been surveying everything that looks like a dac and has usb input for quite a while now.

-- Jim

BradJudy

« Reply #25 on: 7 Apr 2009, 05:55 pm »
You may be right, but I thought that only worked with the firewire connection.  I had one for a while, but the software interface wouldn't work with my screen reader software, so I sold it.

The EMU 0404 will do 24/96 via USB.  There isn't a firewire connection on the product.  There are numerous pro-audio USB devices that will do 24/96 via USB. 

Brown

« Reply #26 on: 8 Apr 2009, 01:01 pm »
Well if one wants an inexpensive USB DAC designed by the Kevin Halverston [ High resolution Tech ] of Muse fame then check out the new Musicstreamer + for $249. 16 bit/ 48k 8x oversampling. Uses no powersupply. Powered off USB then regenerates a pure 12v to produce a 2.2 v output. Using one now. Playback from J. River media center, ripped on EAC in FLAC. Installed AIOS#4 drive to bypass Windows drive. WOW is all I can say. This piece has NO RIGHT to be this good for $249. IMO if one is not willing to spend a lot more than check this out. A real value.

tvyankee

« Reply #27 on: 8 Apr 2009, 01:25 pm »
hello

read the link i provided from computer audiophile, i think they are saying that it does 24/192 via the usb input with the right drivers. i think it has to do with the input being usb2.0.

cryoparts

« Reply #28 on: 9 Apr 2009, 12:05 am »

The EMU 0404 will do 24/96 via USB.  There isn't a firewire connection on the product.  There are numerous pro-audio USB devices that will do 24/96 via USB. 

There are currently two ways to get 24/96 over USB.  Buy the rights to use the CEntrance code, like Steve at Empirical (great stuff) does, or use the Wavelength code (if you can get Gordon to license it to you). 

I'm sure there will be another way to get 24/96 over USB shortly, though.   :icon_twisted:

Peace,

Lee

Mariusz

« Reply #29 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:00 am »
I'm sure there will be another way to get 24/96 over USB shortly, though.   
  aa  What ya know sir that we do not?  :drool:

cryoparts

« Reply #30 on: 9 Apr 2009, 02:03 am »

Sorry, under NDA.  Will spill beans soon, I promise.

Peace,

Lee

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #31 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:44 am »
There are currently two ways to get 24/96 over USB.  Buy the rights to use the CEntrance code, like Steve at Empirical (great stuff) does, or use the Wavelength code (if you can get Gordon to license it to you). 

The CEntrance code, like 99.99% of the other USB devices, uses the adaptive mode.

Horrible jitter performance.

Pat

turkey

« Reply #32 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:14 pm »
Good seeing you around here Robert, I noticed this on Canuck this AM - http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/120618-blue_circle_usb_thingee/

I have not heard one, but Blue Circle has a great reputation... well reviewed here - http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/blue_circle_usb_thingee.htm

I've heard this a couple of times and also met Gilbert and spent some time talking to him at a show. I was very impressed with him and this product.

rpf

« Reply #33 on: 26 Apr 2009, 06:41 am »
Has anyone heard the Music Hall DAC 25.2?

USB, Coax, Optical and XLR inputs with RCA and XLR outputs. Uses one 6922 tube and has a headphone jack with a volume control for it.  8x oversampling and 16/44.1 output with user selectable upsampling of 24/96 and 24/192. Also uses asynchronous re-clocking/jitter reduction before the DAC. Price is $600.

Info from their website:

The dac 25.2 features the latest texas instruments (formerly burr-brown) PCM 1796 24bit/192kHz, advanced segment, stereo audio digital to analog converter. This processor features 123dB dynamic range an 8 x oversampling digital filter and just 0.0005% thd. The dac 25.2 upsamples to either 96kHz or 192kHz which is user selectable on the front panel. To achieve the best sound we use an advanced asynchronous reclocking and anti jitter control system upstream of the PCM 1796 DAC. For this system we are using the philips 74HC574 in conjunction with the ti SRC4192 asynchronous sample rate converter whose master clock is a high precision active crystal oscillator. The dac 25.2 also features a large r-core high current oversize power transformer.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 9 May 2009, 05:14 am by rpf »

art

• Industry Participant
    • Analog Research-Technology
« Reply #34 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:53 am »
the thing that concerns me is that it does not support any hirez format. it only handles 48k. the whole purpose for computer audio is so you can listen to those hirez kick ass audio files.

I dunno......I had a guy that sez he has thousands of Redbook CDs, wants the convenience of using his computer to generate a play list, and believes that upsampling/resampling/whatever is heresy. My kinda customer!

Pat

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #35 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:59 am »

Mariusz, I do believe Lee is talking about the new Sonicweld 24/96 USB to S/PDIF Converter that Cryoparts now has available. More info can be found here. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

cryoparts

« Reply #36 on: 9 Jun 2009, 06:32 pm »

Mariusz, I do believe Lee is talking about the new Sonicweld 24/96 USB to S/PDIF Converter that Cryoparts now has available. More info can be found here. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Indeed, thanks Robin!

Peace,

Lee

Mariusz

« Reply #37 on: 9 Jun 2009, 07:36 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

Thanks Robin.
Looks COOLlicious!!!

Mariusz :thumb:

earplay

• Do ya feel... lucky?
« Reply #38 on: 18 Jun 2009, 09:30 pm »
Try the HotAudio DAC Straight. Under $150 and a good reputation. Hand-made in Canada. If you don't like, you can return.

DanH

« Reply #39 on: 19 Jun 2009, 02:33 am »
I bought a Beresford TC-7520 witch I like. It will go up to 96kz. It has 2 rca, 1 optical and I usb input that you can switch with push buttons on the front. It also has a headphone amp and a volume control. It's not a bad deal for $249 us. You get a 15 day trial too.

http://www.beresford-dac.com/