Watchmen

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Watchmen
« on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:17 pm »
Went last night, with my 18 yr old middle son, to see the midnight showing of The Watchmen.  First, let me tell you that I've not been to the midnight movies in forever, and forgot the eclectic group of viewers it attracts.  Wow.  I think some of them were The Watchmen's kids!  :)

We got lucky and decided to attend the cineplex about 20 min from us, rather than the local one 5 min away.  The nearby one had two theaters sold out and were opening a third for the film, but the one we picked had just opened a second.  We got there 30 min ahead of time, had our pick of the seats and made sure we paced ourselves on popcorn and soda; then simply people-watched (we were the watchmen) as the half-filled back-up theater settled in.  BTW, although fairly loud and goofy during the trailers, the crowd was polite, quiet and respectful during the film.  Not always a given these days.

OK, also, I am not the best person to review this film cuz I knew nothing about it going in, other than the endless promos on tv and online.  I knew a little about the on-again, of-again production and release issues, but wasn't even aware that it was eventually done by Zack Snyder, the director of 300, until David mentioned it this morning.  Also, and most importantly, I had never read the gothic novels so knew nothing of the story or characters except what was gleaned from the promos.

If you want to read what I think of the movie, Roger Ebert captured my feelings almost to a tee (which is somewhat unusual; I'm not always on the same page as he is).
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/REVIEWS/903049997

The movie was an incredible journey of sights and sounds.  Done more like SkyCaptain visually than 300 or SinCity (although you still had the slo-mo bone crushers) the eerie and dank alternate world of 1985 was initially quite hazy.  That Skycaptain haze wore off as the film progressed (or I got used to it).  The theater wasn't my local fave for audio, so I need to see this movie again (for a lot of reasons, but mostly plot clarifications due to the flashback nature of some of the scenes) but it was clear that it set new standards for some lfe sequences.  The effects were over the top, but in this alternative world, fit right in.

I liked the film very much; it was not quite as entertaining as Dark Knight but was nonetheless, like DK, a completely new non-idealistic view of comic book superheroes that likely kept pretty true to the novels.  As Ebert says, this one will take additional viewings and some pondering; all good things.  One aspect that had me at a disadvantage, and will require a second viewing, was simply the lack of knowledge of the character development.  Don't get me wrong; this film is all about character development.  It's not just a shoot-em-up at all!  but still, as well as Director Snyder used flashbacks to bring us up to speed (the first one, panning from The Comedians smiley face button and back again, through opening credits that caught us up with all the differences in THIS 1985 vs what we're used to, was brilliant) I would like to revisit some small details and innuendos/inferences that went over my head.

I can;t imagine what this thing would be like via IMAX.    :drool:  Mine is 2 hrs away (we only have Omnimax here) but if anywhere near you....do it!!!

Note:  Although I'm fairly liberal when it comes to movie sex and violence, this one very much earns it's R rating.  It is as disturbing as DK, maybe even more so (the world is on the brink) so lots of the attitudes and violence make perfect sense.  Just leave the adolescents at home for this one.

P.S  Malin Ackerman is hot, no matter blond or black haired.

BobM

Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:26 pm »
Thanks for the review. I'm reading the novel right now and will pass it on to the kids before we see the flick. Judging from what I've gotten through already, I can see how character development would be key, and reading the graphin novel (i.e. large comic book) will surely help with that.

Bob

mcullinan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2009, 04:51 pm »
I am looking forward to seeing this. NERD alert weee ---ooooo weee-oooo
Mike

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2009, 05:49 pm »
Looks like I'll need to do some studying up on this comic book series before I go see this movie in IMAX next week (2.3 hour drive). The fact that I'll have the need to see it a second time is rewarding in of itself, I'll now look forward to it's summer DVD release. :thumb: Thanks for bring this up Ted,,, my anticipation meter has been peaked!!! :hyper:

edit, Blockbuster does have a comic DVD available that as all 12 comic magazines of The Watchman series (didn't know there was one) but it's only for sale for $24.99, not for rent. :cuss: Here's a good place to read about the whole background storyline, if you are not opposed to spoilers. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2009, 08:34 pm by satfrat »

grenamc

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2009, 06:07 pm »
I read the graphic novel/comic compilation about six months ago.  I personally thought it was genius, but also a book that could easily get lost in translation to film.  Reading Ebert's review was encouraging and your endorsement encourages me more.  This is a surprisingly dense tome of a comic and I would expect the film, much like LOTR, to be dense as well.

Thanks for the thoughts,
Michael

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:48 pm »
I just came back from seeing this at my local IMAX theater and I totally agree with the all positive reviews and press the movie is getting.   :green:

Not having read the graphic novels, I didn't have the same background or history as with latest Batman movies, 300, Sin City, etc... but it was very easy to follow and I felt that they did a really good job developing the characters and story.

The visual and sound effects were spectacular (the seats at this IMAX theater even have butt kickers installed) and really helped enhance the experience without dominating it.

It definitely deserved the R rating (tons of pretty graphic violence) as Ted mentioned and I wouldn't recommend it for any of the younger AC members!   :duh:

The movie is quite long (almost 2 1/2 hrs), but has a very good pace and doesn't feel like it drags on our overstayed its welcome.

I will almost certainly go back and see it again in the theater and it will be a must buy when released on Blu-ray.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

George

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:51 pm »
 :thumb: :thumb: on this one.  

I haven't read the series, sure the film will likely be lesser as usually is the case.  But films and literature are different, I'll leave it at that.
But lots of food for thought here.  Again, this is rated "R" or else you'll have a lot of explaining to do to your kids.  There's also a giant man-thing hanging around the whole movie and a little naughty scene for the adults.  This is not Iron Man, lots of graphic violence and some sexual content for those who need to know.  Just as much one for the think tank as it is for action.  One fine cinematic experience.

It's a shame that these movies don't get taken more seriously.  These comic book type adaptations are like westerns to me. There were a few actors/characters that played their roles to the fullest.  I won't do spoilers but one of the main characters just nails his part to the wall, very much in the ball park of "The Joker" IMO.  

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2009, 08:57 pm »
:thumb: :thumb: on this one.  

I haven't read the series, sure the film will likely be lesser as usually is the case.  But films and literature are different, I'll leave it at that.
But lots of food for thought here.  Again, this is rated "R" or else you'll have a lot of explaining to do to your kids.  There's also a giant man-thing hanging around the whole movie and a little naughty scene for the adults.  This is not Iron Man, lots of graphic violence and some sexual content for those who need to know.  Just as much one for the think tank as it is for action.  One fine cinematic experience.

It's a shame that these movies don't get taken more seriously.  These comic book type adaptations are like westerns to me. There were a few actors/characters that played their roles to the fullest.  I won't do spoilers but one of the main characters just nails his part to the wall, very much in the ball park of "The Joker" IMO.  

My favorite character was definitely Jackie Earle Haley as Walter Kovacs / Rorschach.  He totally nailed it and was entertaining from the start to the finish.

Yes, there is some nudity and one "scene", but nothing too sensational.

George

launche

« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:06 pm »
That's the guy George, just as good a performance as any in my book.  He was effective, even when I wanted to not believe him he pulled me back in.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2009, 09:43 pm »
Zack Snyder definitely likes his "one steamy scene".   :)  The 300 version was also a bit awkward to watch with my sons, but I'm not suggesting I didn't want to go back and watch it again later.  :wink:

Agree on Haley as Rorschach. But then again, his character's narration made him a central figure.

I'm rethinking one of my overall impressions.  This story is epic in proportion, much like a LOTR, and maybe it needs multiple movies to flesh out all the details, story lines and such.  Still......a great way to spend 160 minutes.  Not once did I think about looking at my watch or even leaving the alternative 1985.

rydenfan

« Reply #10 on: 6 Mar 2009, 10:29 pm »
I cannot wait to go see this in the IMAX next weekend. I am a pretty big fan of the graphic novels and consider it one of the best works I have read in awhile. I was pretty nervous about the film as it met considerable production delays and passed through like three different directors, not usually a great sign. However, so far everything seems very encouraging. I am certainly am excited to see it  :thumb: Thanks for the reviews.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2009, 01:19 am »
The DVD version will even be longer with 25 minutes of added material. That's a lot of popcorn. :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #12 on: 9 Mar 2009, 08:00 am »
I caught Watchmen today and was absolutely stunned.  I consider it to be without doubt the finest comic book film ever made, bar none, and one of the best movies I've seen in several years.  Like The Dark Knight and Lord of the Rings, Watchmen is a film that transcends labels and demonstrates convincingly that action and "genre" pictures must taken as seriously as legitimate art as any other type of movie.

I'll admit right now that I'm a lapsed comics fanboy.  Although I haven't purchased any books to speak of in the last decade or so I've still got many crates of comics in my closed, lovingly stored in individual poly bags with acid free cardboard backing.  I first read the Watchmen graphic novel series in the late 80's.  Every since I've considered it the comics version of the Holy Bible, the geeks "Greatest Story Ever Told."  Over the years rumors continually popped up of a film adaption but nothing ever came of it.  But when I saw the first trailer for the actual film some months back my hopes ran very high, and the finished product doesn't disappoint.

Watchmen is a triumph on every level.  It's an incredible bit of visual storytelling for starters.  The look is fantastic and the alternate version of Earth is tremendously effective.  Many movies give us fictional presidents and nameless leaders, but the inclusion of so many real world historical figures from the 50's thru the 80's lends a surreal yet utterly compelling degree of tension and gravitas to the film.  The eerie portrays of Nixon, Warhol and Iacocca were particularly effective in blurring the lines between fantasy fiction and reality, adding an extra degree of dreamlike, cognitive dissonance.  Events of the film are thought provoking on many levels.  When Osterman intervenes, effectively winning the war in Vietnam, the history we know is spun off it's axis and we get four terms of Richard Nixon!

The film is also among the most atmospheric movies I've ever seen.  Each scene seems to add layers of pathos to the story of world completely devoid of hope where every bit of idealism has been extinguished.  The alternate 80's seems to be holding its breath, fearing what what is to come yet utterly resigned to it.  Every action seems to lead the world inexorably closer to its doom, and it seems even God/Manhattan is powerless to alter the worlds fated destrucion.  The writing is spot on, from the film noire narration by Kovacs to eerie alt-history montage that opens the film.  The characters are brilliantly developed; they're fragile and flawed but real, reacting the way we might to a depressing and frightening world that's circling the drain. 

I can't emphasis how they hit the jackpot with casting.  Initially Keanu Reeves lobbied for a role ( :o Yikes!  No way, dOOd!), as did Watchmen-fan John Cusack and Ron Pearleman.  While the latter two are fine actors I think the strong ensemble of lesser known yet gifted actors made the story much more believable and compelling.  It would be distracting to continually think "Neo!" and the characters are sometimes subservient to the world and the story, something that would be difficult with a higher profile cast.  Besides, the actors were uniformly brilliant, and I'd be hard pressed to think of even a couple roles that I'd have cast differently.  Patrick Wilson (Night Owl), Jackie Earle Haley (Rorschach), Billy Crudup (Osterman/Manhattan) and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (Comedian) were astounding- the latter reminded me uncannily of an older Robert Downey Jr., and I'll be disappointed if Wilson doesn't snag an Oscar someday.  ********  SPOILER ALERT!!! Skip this paragraph if you don't know the story!   ********   The closest thing to a disconnect was Mathew Goode as Ozymandias.  His performance was superb but he lacked the physicality that the role required, and it was a bit of a stretch watching him slap Night Owl and Rorschach around like rag dolls.

Watchmen is among the most faithful film adaption of a piece of literature that I've ever seen.  It hits all the right notes, balancing a deep and abiding respect for the source material while adapting to the requirements of the medium of film. While I haven't read the original in about 5 years, IIRC the story, there are only about two departures from the book worth noting, one fairly minor and one extremely major. ********  SPOILER ALERT!!! Skip this paragraph if you don't know the story!   ******** The minor change, if it is one- I didn't remember Rorschach being arrested or broken out of jail by Nite Owl & SS.  No big deal.  But the ending is a drastic departure, and although it doesn't greatly affect the resolution of the story it was my sole great disappointment.  In the original version Ozymandias used the machine to hoax an alien invasion, not frame Doctor Manhattan for the attacks.  While Dr. O ultimately makes the same choice he does in the books I find it a bit less plausible that the world would unite under that threat the way they would have to an alien invasion.  After all, Osterman is basically invincible, and it's hard to imagine what strategy could even be contemplated to resist him.  The nebulous alien threat from the novels seems more effective, although perhaps it would inject a cartoonish feel to a film with grittier aspirations.

All in all Watchmen is a tour de force, a nearly flawless virtuosic masterpiece of visual storytelling.  Obviously I make no attempt to conceal my enthusiasm for this movie- it's one of the most powerful and compelling films I've seen in the last five years.  Make no mistake, the bar for comic book films has just been raised several notches.  This one's an Instant Classic!  Two thumbs up & four-out-of-four from me, this one's not to be missed! :thumb: :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #13 on: 9 Mar 2009, 08:53 am »
Who watches the Watchmen?  Evidently a lot of people (mainly guys).

launche

« Reply #14 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:47 pm »
Rob,

Great write up.  It couldn't be said any better.
This was indeed a wonderful film, all and all I would say I enjoyed it more than "The Dark Knight."  The Dark Knight was more entertaining as an action film but  The Watchmen was more complex and thought provoking with action sequences that worked well and blended in with the storytelling. Even the first 10-15 minutes of this movie have more chops than most movies do in their entire running time. 

jaywills

« Reply #15 on: 9 Mar 2009, 02:05 pm »
"I didn't remember Rorschach being arrested or broken out of jail by Nite Owl & SS."

Yes, that's in the book.  Nice review, can't wait to see it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 9 Mar 2009, 05:23 pm »
"I didn't remember Rorschach being arrested or broken out of jail by Nite Owl & SS."

Yes, that's in the book.  Nice review, can't wait to see it.

Thanks.  Yeah, been awhile since I've read it, simply forgot that part.  Overall a fine film.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 9 Mar 2009, 05:54 pm »
Rob, did you watch Watchmen in IMAX? I'll be making the 2 hour journey to see this movie next week in IMAX myself,, thanks for rifling up my expectations! :hyper:

Cheers,
Robin

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 9 Mar 2009, 06:20 pm »
No, sadly no Imax.  There is a large format theater in town but the stuff they show is mostly educational.  Watchmen might be the movie that makes me buy Blu-Ray (assuming it's released in that format).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #19 on: 9 Mar 2009, 06:25 pm »
From a plot standpoint, the movie was very faithful to the book.  One interesting difference in presentation was the heroes themselves.  In the book it's a sort of theme to point out how small, weak, and human each of them is, particularly in their private lives.  In the movie (and using almost the same dialog), the presentation is more around how incredibly screwed up (psychologically) they are.  At least three of them are straight up sociopaths, one is literally and figuratively impotent without his costume, and Dr. M is not even human anymore.