Some nice and reasonably priced Zinfandels

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Some nice and reasonably priced Zinfandels
« on: 14 Feb 2009, 01:25 am »
Through some trial and error, as well as some good recommendations, here are a few Zinfandels I can heartily endorse:

Seghesio - Sonoma Zinfandel 2006 (around $20 a bottle)

Found this quote that summed things up nicely:  "This ruby red wine is a consistent performer every vintage it seems. This year is no exception. This wine opens with a very pleasant plum bouquet. On the palate, this wine is smooth, well balanced, with dusty black cherry like flavors. The finish is dry and slightly tannic and quite lengthy." Ken's Wine Guide

Cline - Ancient Vines Zinfandel 2007 (around $17 a bottle)

This Zin is really fantastic. With the allure of 80-100 year old vines, I was anticipating this one... and Cline did not let me down. Very complex, lots of flavor, with smokey raspberries (if there is such a thing) and lots of earthy, textured flavors. Long finish.  Many tastes to sort out... very exotic and bold.  Not subtle.

Four Vines - "Biker" Paso Robles Zinfandel 2006 (around $20 a bottle)

As bold as the previous two choices were, this one takes it up a notch or two!!  In fact, I don't think it is an exaggeration to say it explodes with the aromas of raspberry, blueberry, huckleberry, clove and allspice, as well as toasty licorice. Visualize a very full-bodied, and ripe wine that builds toward a long lasting finish, but is still very easy to drink and can go with some many different food choices.

Let's see if we can get a thread going where others post the Zinfandel's that they really like.

George

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Some nice and reasonably priced Zinfandels
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2009, 02:45 am »
I really like the 2005 Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel, pretty good for about $15 per bottle.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:04 am »
My absolute favorite is Ridge "Geyserville".  Primarily a Zin, it also has other varieties added. Usually in the mid $20's.

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:10 am »
We're also fans of the Cline Ancient Vines Zin. 

rydenfan

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:52 am »
George, you must try Orin Swift, The Prisoner. It is considered a table wine but it is 50% Zin. Here is the breakdown:
50% Zinfandel
24% Cabernet Sauvignon
14% Syrah
  9% Petite Sirah
  2% Charbono
  1% Grenache

It is consistently rated in the mid 90's by both WS and Parker and usually goes for about $30 a bottle. One of our favorite every day wines  :thumb:

ton1313

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2009, 03:54 am »
Anything from Rancho Zabaco is great :thumb: tough to beat under $20.

Agree with the Bogle - Old Vine

Montevina is nice also.

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2009, 04:10 am »
Keep them coming guys.   :thumb:

One of my favorite really inexpensive Zinfandels is the Vinters Blend by Ravenswood (around $7 a bottle when bought a case at a time).  Has anybody tried their higher end bottles?  Maybe Ravenswood Big River Zinfandel 2006, Ravenswood Zinfandel "Belloni" 2005, or Ravenswood Zinfandel "Teldeschi" 2005?  All three are in the $30-40 range.

George

tdangelo

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2009, 04:19 am »
I like:

Edmeads 2006 Mendocino Zin.
Renwood Winery Zinfandel Old Vines Amador County
Rosenblum Cellars Zinfandel Appellation Series Paso Robles
the Seghesio mentioned above
Lolonis Winery Zinfandel Redwood Valley
Calamity Zinfandel Napa Valley 2006
Fife Vineyards Zinfandel Les Vieilles Vignes Napa Valley

I buy all of regularly.  Most are less than $20.

rydenfan

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2009, 03:46 am »
not a Zin but I figured I could share with my fellow cork dorks  :wink:

We drank a delicious 2000 Pride Merlot tonight  :thumb: Beautiful dense fruit, little bit of a coffee/tobacco finish yet very smooth and refined.

arthurs

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2009, 04:10 am »
Spelletich Cellars flies under most peoples radar but they make astounding wines.....

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2009, 05:00 am »
Spelletich Cellars flies under most peoples radar but they make astounding wines.....
Do you get it somewhere in Ft. Worth, and if so, where?  I go through Cowtown on a regular basis and would like to pick up a few bottles.

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2009, 06:58 am »
I know it's cheap, but give the Bogle Old Vine Zin a try.  Very drinkable!

jman66

« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:48 pm »
I tried this Zin for the 1st time yesterday, very good: Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel

arthurs

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2009, 12:50 pm »
Do you get it somewhere in Ft. Worth, and if so, where?  I go through Cowtown on a regular basis and would like to pick up a few bottles.

Hi Scott, I usually just have it shipped direct from them http://spellwine.com/

I've never actually looked for it in local stores...

zybar

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:06 pm »
I tried this Zin for the 1st time yesterday, very good: Cline Ancient Vines Zinfandel

What did you think of it?

That is one of the bottles I recommended in my initial post.

George

jman66

« Reply #15 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:28 pm »
Shoot!  It would help if I read more closely :oops:

The Cline was very smooth - no harshness, nice bouquet of flavors, great finish.
Zins pretty much goes with lots of dishes but I had this with filet mignon.
You & others mentioned Seghesio, one of the first "old vine" Zins I tried - very potent!

Charles Krug (Peter Mondavi) makes a nice Zin but my local shop doesn't carry it.

BobM

« Reply #16 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:46 pm »
I know it's cheap, but give the Bogle Old Vine Zin a try.  Very drinkable!

Yeah, that one's not bad for the price, as is Gnarly Head. But I find that at about $10 per bottle the quality of Zin's can be dramatically different - some decent but many not so good.

You say, for $10 what do you expect? Well you can usually find pretty consistently decent Pinot Grigio's and Chard's at that price point, and lots of OK Merlot's. Not great, but OK for sitting on the couch and having a glass or two watching a movie or spinning some vinyl.

Enjoy,
Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #17 on: 15 Feb 2009, 02:16 pm »
If you drink the first one or two glasses fast....does it even matter what brand/vintage you've uncorked after?

After the first two, I'd have difficulties denoting the difference between a Zinfadel and brown rice vinegar :icon_lol:

I really only drink to get drunk (and not much at that) - I can't wrap my mind around anyone actually liking the taste (honest)

John (admittedly, 5'9"/160lb of uncultured, lightweight 8) )

« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2009, 03:26 pm by TheChairGuy »

Miney

• Free your mind... and your ass will follow
« Reply #18 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:17 pm »
Nice list going here...

Ridge is a great producer, unfortunately their prices have climbed at least in PA.  Seghesio is fantastic too; unfortunately the 2007 hit #10 on Wine Spectator's top 100 of 2008 & disappeared from shelves instantly over the holidays.  The Renwood Old Vines 2005 is a good value IMHO.

Anyhoo... to add to the list:  Check out Trentadue Old Patch Red Sonoma County 2005 (includes Zin, Petite Sirah, Carignane and Syrah) - for $14.... dang tasty.

mikel51

« Reply #19 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:35 pm »
I've been enjoying Greg Norman--The Monster.