Some nice and reasonably priced Zinfandels

ton1313

Re: Some nice and reasonably priced Zinfandels
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2009, 01:12 am »
Just grabbed a few bottles of Montevina ZinPort. It is an "almost" dessert wine not as sweet as a full port, but just as interesting  :drool:.

Damn I love Zin and Port.

Not to hijack, but Chapel Hill from Australia produces an 18 year old Tawney that is just freaking fantastic!! It is called "The Devil" if you can find it and you like tawneys, look no further :thumb:. http://www.chapelhillwine.com.au/wines/?wine=7

OK,

Back to the Zin :D

GregC

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2009, 03:19 am »
Windwalker
Sobon Zinfandel "Rocky Top"
Sobon Zin "Fiddletown
Sobon ReZerve® Zin

These are some wines from Amador County in the Sierra Foothills where the climate is very similar to Italy.  Shenandoah and Sobon are owned by the same family and have some of the oldest vines in the region.  As a matter of fact, a couple years ago Shenandoah made a double gold Barbara that came in second place in the world in a tasting competition.  I still have 2 bottles in my wine fridge.

zapper7

• Its time to have fun, its fun to have time
« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2009, 04:09 am »
We just had a Zin tasting on Sat in our tasting group here in Reno, "Taste In The High Desert". We had Madrona, Klinker Brick, and Bogle as our top choices from the eveing.

I also like:

Sobon Old Vine Zin.... (2004) had a magnum 2 weeks ago at my sister's house

Cline Zin....the farm house winerry is really nice, andf the wine not so expensive for Sonoma County

Renwood Grands (either) are quintesential Foothills Zins, very good

Rombauer Napa and Fiddletown Zins....a little more, but the Napa Valley has a fruity taste to it while the Fiddletown is more earthy, Fiddletown itself is in Amador County, I believe, which is great foothills growing too

Goldhill Zin....on 49 between Auburn and Placerville, one of our favorites, and their Cab Franc is my wife's favorite

low.pfile

« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2009, 08:10 am »
For nice Zin near/under $20.....I agree with the Sobon, Ridge, and Seghesio listed above

I'll add Dashe cellars

usually available at Whole Foods and/or Safeway here.