BobM

Re: Hagerman Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: 6 Feb 2009, 09:19 pm »
I can see it now - a tube regulated AC regenerator.  :icon_lol:

Bob

hagtech

« Reply #21 on: 9 Feb 2009, 04:18 am »
Yeah, I've been thinking about the TT motor controller for some time now.  Probably have drawings going back two years.  Been back burner, but I'm thinking of making it 3-phase, but easy to build with just one phase for regular ac motors.  Would have variable speed, maybe voltage too.  That's about all the farther I've gotten.

The other kit would be a simple remote control volume that could be retro-fit into existing linestages.  No idea when either of these would become available, if ever.  But they are in consideration.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at my inventory of parts and wondering how best to use them.  I have a whole bunch of CLARINET chassis on hand still, and yet people keep asking for an assembled CHIME.  So today I am investigating making panel coverings such that I can convert a CLARINET into a CHIME or CORNET2.  I would also upgrade resistors, caps, and connectors, making the re-issue a decent sonic upgrade.  Panels would be silver with black lettering, so convert the all-black chassis to more of a two-tone.  Kinda like the new Blackberry Curve 8900.  This would be a limited edition until parts ran out. 

jh

fatty

« Reply #22 on: 9 Feb 2009, 09:09 pm »
Hi Jim,

There are alot of companies offering remote volume controls some are DYI but very--very--very few companies are offering a AC motor control for VPI's etc. except VPI or Walker at very high prices. I don't know of any established companies offering a DYI AC motor control----

alpa6

« Reply #23 on: 10 Feb 2009, 04:51 am »
Jim seriously i have wondered why no motor controler too.1k for a sds is a total rip off.Thats why i don't have one for my scout.
If you make a kit count me in for two!

BobM

« Reply #24 on: 10 Feb 2009, 02:44 pm »
Having DIY'ed the Mark Kelly controller I can say that, Jim, you may have to address a few issues in bringing this to market. Mark's controller was definitely an advanced "kit" and not for a beginner. So you may have to offer some of this half-built already, which I would guess increases your time and costs. The complexity of it also meant some significant hand holding and debugging assistance, which is most likely why Mark doesn't offer it anymore.

There's also a lot of potential design options to consider, like adjusting the speed in the digital domain vs analogue domain (for both 45 and 33), and addressing the various motor types.

Mark's kit also addressed phase adjustments in the AC legs, which made his kit a non-plug and play option (i.e. rewiring the motor). I would not recommend this for a kit in general. I think using the phase approximation already built into the motor would be a better option overall, if not as precise (it is what the SDS and other controllers do now as well).

I guess I'm writing this so others who are looking for a motor controller kit can appreciate the complexity needed to design one to a price point. But then, you've been doing that successfully for quite some time, benefitting all of us who are not afraid to sling some solder.

Thanks,
Bob

fatty

« Reply #25 on: 10 Feb 2009, 09:27 pm »
Hi Bob,

I think that part of Mark's problem was that when I inquired about purchasing
his controller he could not or would not provide any documentation or photos of his kit. When I inquired about this I never heard from him again !!

I don't think he was really serious about selling his product or he would have responded to my emails.

BobM

« Reply #26 on: 10 Feb 2009, 10:11 pm »
I think at that point I (and others) might have already driven him slightly mad with our questions and debugging issues. His "guide" left a little to be desired, so there was a lot of hand holding needed. As I said before, it was a complex kit and the extra effort to support it on his part was definitely not worth what we paid him for the cost of the boards and build instructions.

Bob

alpa6

« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2009, 01:06 pm »
I, sure jim could figure a speed controler out if he can build a dac.

MusicMtnMonkey

« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:14 pm »
My impression was that Mark really built his unit to be more of an "ultimate" controller, not a comprise between price and level of build?  Tech support can be tough, better be ready for it.  It's hard to tell from AA is Mark is only selling finished units or what these days?

I'd be super curious to see how Jim's design (TT motor controller) would pan out, taking more consideration into making the build easier and the layout simplified and ultra organized  aa

I think at that point I (and others) might have already driven him slightly mad with our questions and debugging issues. His "guide" left a little to be desired, so there was a lot of hand holding needed. As I said before, it was a complex kit and the extra effort to support it on his part was definitely not worth what we paid him for the cost of the boards and build instructions.

Bob

Theo

Gauging product interest
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:11 pm »
I have a suggestion to gauge product interest.  Jim can put up a web page listing the proposed products or kits and start taking pre-orders.  The pre-order credit cards will not be charged until delivery date of products.  When the number of pre-orders meets a specific number satisfactory to Jim, he will proceed with design and implementation.

hagtech

« Reply #30 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:34 pm »
Ok, you talked me into it.  I'll start working on a tt controller right after I get these "re-issue" boxes done.

jh

jameshuls

« Reply #31 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:36 pm »
And a collective cheer rises up from the nation (of DIYers)!

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #32 on: 16 Feb 2009, 09:33 pm »
 :hyper:

galyons

« Reply #33 on: 17 Feb 2009, 02:34 am »
I think Jim will have a real advantage in the development of the controller.  That advantage will be his significant expertise and experience in getting the project to the board level with adequate documentation.

I looked seriously at buying Mark's "kit".   It was just unclear , to me, what I was getting and where to source the required components.  The real "no go" in my decision was the lack of documentation. This is not a shot at Mark.  I do not think that he intended to produce a "commercial" product.

I know folks think that VPI's SDS is overpriced, but when you look at manufacturing and distribution costs for the retail market, one really get's a great product got a grand.  That being said, I would love to have a go at building an AC motor controller from a Jim kit!

Cheers,
Geary

ortf

« Reply #34 on: 21 Feb 2009, 07:28 pm »
 Going back to the DIY roots, another wild product idea would be a retrofit module for vintage tube testers.

The old tester would provide chassis, sockets, wiring, heating and raw plate and grid voltages.

The module (a RETROTRACE ?) would be derived from the vacutrace to provide sweeping plate and grid voltages and tube measurements.

Throw in an arduino microcontroller and this would be the ultimate DIY tube tester.

Just an idea...

ortf

ecir38

« Reply #35 on: 22 Feb 2009, 04:12 am »
Ok, you talked me into it.  I'll start working on a tt controller right after I get these "re-issue" boxes done.

jh

I have a customer or two that will want one yesterday and I will probably want one too  :green:.

Brad

tubesforever

« Reply #36 on: 22 Feb 2009, 07:49 am »
I respect Mark Kelly as a fellow DIY guy, but Basis has been selling a 3 phase motor control that works perfectly and this was designed and functional three years ago.

Perhaps his newest is now in front of the curve but who knows for certain.

The thing for us as average enthusiasts is to have a three phase motor control with adjustible frequency (speed control) and adjustible voltage (for motor resonance control).  Then a Papst hysteresis motor can deliver the goods and work as intended for turntable use.  The same controller will do the 300 rpm VPI motor justice as well.

If anyone is interested in constructing a belt driven or thread driven Papst motivated project turntable I have the proper dimensions for a 33/45 thread drive pulley. 

Here are a few pics of the sand box and the granite cld base.  I like them equally well. 

This is one kick but turntable. 

Now I need Jim to build me the ideal motor controller for the diy crowd.  Jim don't forget I am ready to pay for an Octal Clarinet!  Please don't make me whine....I hate whining.

tubesurf

« Reply #37 on: 23 Feb 2009, 12:43 am »
I'd like to second Tubes request for an octal clarinet or the resistor values to mod the current clarinet circuit to octal.

Thanks,

galyons

« Reply #38 on: 23 Feb 2009, 03:07 am »
I'd like to second Tubes request for an octal clarinet or the resistor values to mod the current clarinet circuit to octal.

Thanks,
I'll make a hearty third!!!

Cheers,
Geary

JoshK

« Reply #39 on: 23 Feb 2009, 04:25 am »
Love the guitar TT plinth!   :thumb:  Way cool!

I have a Teres/DIY TT.  It has a motor controller in it, but I'd probably be a customer of a controller kit to compare and play around.