KWA 150 - ModWright's First Amp! - Feedback, information and review info...

Marco Prozzo

As Dan will have voiced the KWA with the 36.5 then this is a serious option aa
Phil

As well it should be.  I predict another one knocked clear out of the ballpark :wave: swapping that into the mix.  I recently brought my 36.5 over to do a blind shootout with Lamm and Hovland in my friend's system, so I speak from some direct experience.

rydenfan

Dan some technical points that would be really helpful for me (and probably others as well) to know are:

watts at 8 ohms
pure Class A watts in high bias
gain on balanced and unbalanced inputs
input impedance

modwright

Okay:

Power: 150W into 8 ohms; 250W into 4 ohms stereo.
450W into 8 ohms bridge mono; 650W into 4 ohms bridge mono.

Voltage gain: 22dB - both RCA and XLR inputs (Transformer input coupling equalizes gain of both SE and Bal. inputs).

I don't have exact numbers for quantity of Class A watts in High Bias.

Input impedance min. 15K ohm.

Input Sensitivity ~ 900mV.

I am planning to ship you a unit this week Rydenfan!

Thanks,

Dan

rydenfan

I am ready and waiting  :drool:

arthurs

David is really a busy guy Dan, and because I believe in helping others it would be best if you send the amp to me and I'll let David know how it sounds!   :green: 

Better yet, send two and I can run them as mono's to compare with my current setup!   :lol:

rydenfan

David is really a busy guy Dan, and because I believe in helping others it would be best if you send the amp to me and I'll let David know how it sounds!   :green: 

Better yet, send two and I can run them as mono's to compare with my current setup!   :lol:

Thanks for looking out for me Art, I really appreciate it  :wink:

arthurs

All part of being a giver David!   :lol: :roll:

Thanks for looking out for me Art, I really appreciate it  :wink:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Guys, as a few of you know I’ve gone through a major remodel in the music room.  Dan and I are working out a scenario where I will get a pair of amps from him in a dual (monoblock) configuration once I get the room back to serious listening condition (replacing some room treatments, etc.).  This will take it to Dan’s next run of amps.  In the meantime we are putting huge pressure (just kidding) on Phil and David for their expert veteran Modwright ears.   :D

vinyl_lady

the KWA's have the deepest, tightest and most articulate bass I've heard (far superior than the KW500 even after the mods carried out on the psu).  One of my favorite tracks for bass is Piano Smasher from Blue Man Group, the bass from the KWA hits you in the chest - which it should.  At the same time I need an amp that combines the slam of Mike Tyson with the grace of a ballerina, many amps can accomplish these separately but few can do it at the same time - the KWA 150 is an amp that can combine these tasks simultaneously.

Phil,

Thanks for sharing your early impressions of the KWA 150. They sound very similar to mine. I agree completely with the quoted description of the KWA 150. It produces the best bass I have heard, and combines that with midrange and treble reproduction that is natural, clean, detailed and smooth. The more I listen to it the more it draws me into the music--a very emotionally engaging amp.

Laura

Philistine

Marco, Laura et al...

Just curious if you guys are using the power cord that Dan supplies or you've tried others?
As my amp is still opening up nicely it's way too premature for me to start comparing pc's, in the interim I'm using a Lessloss that I had available.

rydenfan

Phil, once I receive the amp Dan is supposed to send this week, I will be using a Cardas Golden Reference special ordered with the Ferrite bead removed. I use the same cord on both my amp and pre and I converted Ted as well  8)

vinyl_lady

Marco, Laura et al...

Just curious if you guys are using the power cord that Dan supplies or you've tried others?
As my amp is still opening up nicely it's way too premature for me to start comparing pc's, in the interim I'm using a Lessloss that I had available.

I am using a PS Audio xStream Premier SC power cord. Same one I used with my MF A-5cr. I did not try the one Dan shipped with the amp.

Laura

Marco Prozzo

Marco, Laura et al...

I'm using an Elco HPC-10 that I've generally liked with amps.  I've also tried a TG Audio 688.  No comments on the differences right now.  Never tried the supplied cord.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
I have been using a Revelation Audio Labs Precept 6-gauge Reference PC, but I'm not sure if Brad's still around based on what I've been reading.  I've also tried a VH Audio Flavor 4 and a Black Sand Silver Reference V, but the stock cord was better.  All are plugged into a Running Springs Haley which probably accounted for the performance of the Black Sand And VH Audio cords.  The Cardas PC should work well even with an RSA conditioner.  YMMV

modwright

More feedback:

"right out of the box this amp is outstanding.
it's very natural and musical sounding. It really is the best of tubes and SS."

E. Porco - 4.24.09

Peter NL

Hi Dan

Just more nice feedback on sixmoons for Modwright KWA 150 !!!!!!!!!

www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/modwright5/amp.html

Marco Prozzo

Hi Dan

Just more nice feedback on sixmoons for Modwright KWA 150 !!!!!!!!!

www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/modwright5/amp.html

:thumb: Congratulations to Dan and Alan and team Modwright!!!  I found Srajan's review particularly interesting coming from the perspective of another SET lover.  The comparisons were far more informed and well written than I could have ever drawn.  I remember warning Dan several times when he told me about the pending transistor amp design, that I would of course be interested to hear it, but that coming from SET I had no expectations that I'd be swayed by it.  Boy, was I wrong.  Very happy to be wrong in this case as I've been discovering aspects of the music I love that I'd never known were there.  Bravo! Encore!

modwright

I too want to thank Srajan for doing such a thorough and well thought out review.  It is an excellent and I believe objective review, with many relevant comparisons and thorough listening and analysis in order to fully evaluate all aspects of our product.

It confirms that Alan Kimmel and I HAVE reached our desired goal of a SS amp that will satisfy both SS and tube (even SET) lovers.  I like a detailed and dynamic sound, but not an
'etched' or overly forward or clinical presentation.  There is a fine line between euphonic and clinical.  I believe that accuracy lies between these extremes.

The entire team here is very pleased with this review and all feedback that we have received.  It tells me that we have achieved the goal we set out to attain:  A high-quality, American-designed and handmade product that truly relays the live musical event.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

Philistine

I've been holding off on more comments on the KWA until I put some more hours on it and had a 36.5 in place to feed it - the amp has about 500 hours on it and a 36.5 is now in place.

I mentioned the strong bass as a first impression in my previous post, driving my Salk HT3's I'm still shocked that this amp can drive them with ease and the bass has become tighter and even deeper with the 36.5.  So much so I think Dan should rename the amp 'Thor's Hammer' a much better description of what it delivers than KWA!  I clearly have a preference to listen in high bias mode, smoother and more musical in my system than low bias.  I also found the amp benefits significantly from a 400-500 hour burn-in - it becomes smoother and more refined with time, patience here is rewarded.

Over the last few years I've found the 'audition by subtraction' approach is the real acid test for me, so this weekend I took the KWA out of my system and replaced it with my MF KW500.  The KW500 is a great value and underrated package IMHO and has provided me with a few years of great listening enjoyment.  The conclusion was very obvious, I missed the superior detail and musical involvement from the KWA.

I've re-read Srajans review again (it takes a few reads to extract the detail in his reviews) and believe he nails it, the KWA is a magical amp.  The only way I can now beat this is with a brace of KWA's to make Thor's Hammers!

funkmonkey

Sounds like some nice synergy with the HT3s, Phil.  Next windfall I get I may have to take your advice and try one on for size.  :green: