KWA 150 - ModWright's First Amp! - Feedback, information and review info...

modwright

KWA 150's are rolling off the line at a good rate right now!  More people across the world continue to get to know our amp and are VERY pleased with its sound.

A review in a major print magazine will be out next month.

Also next month, the KWA 100 will be rolling off the production line - towards the end of December!

Thanks!

Dan

silver700

For those who haven't had a chance to listen to the KWA 150, you really should do yourself a favor and give it a listen.  It is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard. I spent the last 2 months researching (listening and reading about) different amps this is clearly the best one I heard.  The customer service is excellent as well.  Dan was great to work with.  :thumb:

horn150

hi

could those of you who have a well broken-in kwa 150 define the differences in sound they can hear between high and low bias???

thanks

gilles

granosalis

Dear All,
My KWA 150 arrived yesterday. It is too earlier to provide some serious feedback, but the initial feeling is VERY promising.
It is gorgeous with the blue light glow from the inside and the illuminated logo that hide the power-on button. For me it is the perfect match, as I already own the LS 36.5.

I will keep it on 24h/7days in low-bias for the coming days; switching in high-bias only during listening sessions.  By this way I should finish the break-in in a couple of weeks.

In the mean time, I like to share some pictures with you.

Ciao
Giuseppe

modwright

Thank you for sharing Giuseppe!

I have just received my Jan. issue of The Absolute Sound.  There is a review in this issue by Dick Olsher, of the KWA 150!

Thanks,

Dan W.

modwright

More customer feedback!  Also added to initial post above:

I am a dyed-in-the-wool tube guy. I bought the KWA-150 as a backup amp that could break in some speakers and for use in a second system I am putting together. Based on the reviews, I figured it would be a good-sounding piece of gear, but never capable of replacing my tube amps. I was completely wrong. This is a lot more than a good amp- it is a great amp. The midrange is excellent, it has firm control of the bass, and the microdynamics are amazing. Whatever it lacks in "tubey-ness", which is not much, it more than makes up for with its other virtues. I may never become a fan of solid state gear, but I am a strong believer in the KWA-150.  J.  Blackburn - 2.19.2010

Afterimage

Anyone ever compare the KWA 150 to the amps from Sim Audio(Moon Evolution Series).?

granosalis

I have KWA 150 + LS/PS 36.5 combo on my setup from a couple of months.
I was not surprised to see a tremendous synergy between amp and double box preamp.
Both are now fully break-in, and I can guarantee that differences are NOT minor.
One is natural, sweet and transparent, and the other is power and detailed.
My journey to find the right speakers was long, but at the end I have matched MWs with the Gemme Audio Katana.
The union is something really magical, with a sound that I can describe as full, rich of harmonic details and powerful.
Thanks Dan, this system rocks!  :thumb:

Cheers!
Giuseppe

Afterimage

Anyone ever compare the KWA 150 to the amps from Sim Audio(Moon Evolution Series).?

I guess I will find out soon enough as I have my own KWA 150 on the way.   Hey, one came up on A-gon and I was to curious to pass it up.  Should be here in the next day or two.  So I will spend some time comparing it to the Sim W-7 and post my impressions.

richidoo

Guiseppi, I just got Katanas, awesome speakers. I'm starting to try different amps with them, so thanks for the tip.
Rich

Afterimage

I just dropped the KWA 150 in my system.  I bought it used so it should be fully burned in.  Even so, I don't want to comment on the sound yet because it is early in the evaluation process.  However, first impressions are really good so far.  I have a question or a concern though.  I am running an Audio Research REF 5 preamp in front of the amp and when I had the Sim Audio Moon W-7 in the system I only had to go up to 30 on the digital readout to get decent volume levels.  With the ModWright in front, I have to go up to 55-60, depending on the recording, to get to the same volume levels as the Sim Audio amp.  Why is that?  Also, the blue light on the front, only lights the corners on the circle.  Basically the sides are not lit nor are the top and bottom part.  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

modwright

The Sim Amp may have greater gain.  Input sensitivity for the 150 is less than 1V.

The lighting of the logo on the front of the amp is defined by how the LEDs are oriented.  Between the first and second production run, we made a change in the power/control board to allow a more even light distribution.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Afterimage

thanks for the response.  Yeah, I popped the lid and saw lights/wires.  no big deal there. 

Afterimage

Anyone who is running two KWA 150s (mono) in their system, would you say their is a big difference or is it more subtle than just one?   I really like this amp and I'm thinking I may want to try two in the system, but not if their is only going to be minimal improvement.  thanks.

Philistine

I installed a second KWA150 in my system at the end of last year.  My speakers, Salk HT3's, are inefficient but capable of being driven by most amps but really excel when supplied by a quality powerful amp.  A single KWA150 did a phenomenal job and my initial comment was along the lines that it had the grace of a ballerina and the punch of Mike Tyson.

When the second amp was installed I was shocked by the difference it made, it was not subtle it was profound.....the comment I made to Dan was that a pair of KWA150's had control of the HT3's like Hulk Hogan squeezing your testicles :o  A pair of KWA150's gives a wider dynamic range along with soundstage and imaging improvements.

Afterimage

Are you trying to get me so spend more money? :thumb:   Nice looking system.  What amp stands are those?  Do you have a power conditioner? 

modwright

Very cool looking system Phil!

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree that a pair of these in Mono IS a big step up!

Even though the KWA 150 is built completely dual-mono internally, as though it had two 150W monoblocks inside, there is obviously MORE POWER when using two in bridged mono and even GREATER separation.  More power = well, MORE POWER ;).

Take care,

Dan

Marco Prozzo

Are you trying to get me so spend more money? :thumb:   Nice looking system.  What amp stands are those?  Do you have a power conditioner?

Looks like Sistrum SP101 stands...very nice!  Great system, Phil!!  Thanks for posting the pics.  Congrats on the biamp...pretty sure I'm going that direction too.  I just received some extensions for my cabinet that will allow me to actually make it fit!  I concur, the sound is a significant step up, particularly in resolution and bass.  That's saying a whole lot because a single amp is already a champion in those areas. 

Philistine

Marco is almost correct - the rack is a Sistrum that started life as a 4 shelf and was modified by Robert at Star Sound into 2 x 2 shelf racks (he did a great job).
No power conditioning yet , apart from Alan Maher stuff - if anyone has any recommendations I'm open to suggestions!

Marco Prozzo

Marco is almost correct - the rack is a Sistrum that started life as a 4 shelf and was modified by Robert at Star Sound into 2 x 2 shelf racks (he did a great job).
No power conditioning yet , apart from Alan Maher stuff - if anyone has any recommendations I'm open to suggestions!

I like the Sistrum stuff too.  It makes an audible difference in my rig under the front-end components.  Dan seems to like the Running Springs stuff for conditioning.  Ask him about them - I think he has a couple of their units.  I haven't found anything for amps that works better than dedicated circuits right into the wall, but conditioning seems to work well for digital.  Just my own experience though.  I most certainly have not tried everything, and actually my experience is limited compared to what the options are.