KWA 150 - ModWright's First Amp! - Feedback, information and review info...

Afterimage

I just put the Running Springs Jaco into my system.  Makes a difference in mine for sure.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Ditto on Sistrum!  I have all-Sistrum racks in my setup.  Robert is great, too (and only an hour and a half away).  I have Sp-101's under my amps, my speakers and my front crossovers, Sp-04's under my surround amp and surround crossovers, a couple SP-2's (custom from Robert) for preamp and sources, and currently an SP-6 that will become three sets of Sp-2's likely. 

Afterimage

Very cool looking system Phil!

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree that a pair of these in Mono IS a big step up!

Even though the KWA 150 is built completely dual-mono internally, as though it had two 150W monoblocks inside, there is obviously MORE POWER when using two in bridged mono and even GREATER separation.  More power = well, MORE POWER ;).

Dan, when talking about greater separation are you refferring to the separation of instuments or are you talking more of an electonic or signal path context?
Take care,

Dan

modwright

When I speak of separation, I am speaking of soundstage and instrument separation.  Of course by design, there is greater separation electronically, but this also translates to better separation acoustically.

Thanks and sorry for the tardy reply.

Dan

Shredder

I am in the market for new power and am seriously considering either the MW or Spectron Musician in mono. I have heard both at shows but am not likely to get serious time with them unless I make a purchase. Has anyone here spent some quality time with both? What do you think? How do they compare? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cavl

I've had a Spectron amplifier for several years, but purchased a Modwright KWA 150 amp about 4 months ago.  The Spectron is a very good amplifier that I enjoyed with Aerial and Usher speakers.  The Modwright IMO, however, is much more musical and engaging and allows me to enjoy listening to music at all volume levels.  With the MW, I don't feel the need to increase the volume to get more information or more into the music as I do with some other amplifiers.  It clearly does all the "audiophile" things, but more importantly, it just sounds right.  I've had SET's and other fine solid state amplifiers, but the MW, at least to this point, is the finest amplifier I've used and works incredibly well with my Be-10's.  Dan is also great to do business with and his customer service is as good as it gets.     

modwright

Thanks for the feedback!

Personally I prefer the sound of Class A and A/B to Class D.  This is not to say that Class D can't be done very well.  The spectron amps have a fantastic reputation.

The key to the 150's musicality:

Dual mono internal construction.
Zero Global Negative Feedback.
Direct-coupled through out, after transformer coupled input.
Rediculously low noise floor - allowing for low level detail and improved low-level listening.

We worked very hard on this design and the use of Alan Kimmel's 'Solid State Music State' - Fully discrete, transformer coupled input stage, is unique and absolutely key to the sound.

This same circuit used in the KWA 100 and a non-transformer coupled variation of this is used in the new analog stage in our Oppo mods.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

Shredder

Thanks Cavl, what source and pre do you run with the MW?

I have a MW TP, a Cary pre and Aerial 9 speakers. Kind of warmish, someone I spoke with thought the Spectron might mate better with the warmer setup since the MW KWA is also pretty warm....................

Marco Prozzo

I have a MW TP, a Cary pre and Aerial 9 speakers. Kind of warmish, someone I spoke with thought the Spectron might mate better with the warmer setup since the MW KWA is also pretty warm....................

hmmm, after living with a KWA for almost a year I don't know that I would necessarily call the KWA150 "warm", though I'd say it does nod in the direction of tubes (that nod seems more about being musical, non-fatiguing and engaging, as opposed to having any sort of midrange bump that I'd associate with "warm"  - if it's there it doesn't occur to me to have that emphasis). It also does not sound typically solid state either. It does not seem like a design that is deliberately straining to go in either direction, but like one that is designed to sound natural...to disapear as a component. I would say it is pretty unique and one would have to hear it to understand perhaps. Just my 2 cents with my usual disclaimers.

Cavl

I currently have a McIntosh C2300 tube preamp and Linn Akurate DS (digital streamer).  The McIntosh mates very well with the MW KWA 150, but I can imagine a number of preamps mating well with it.  I'd obviously like to hear the LS 36.5 with separate power supply given the likely synergy with the MW amp. 

klao

Hi Dan,

Is there any change in terms of technical parameters such as distortion level that might change its sonics when the amp is bridge into mono mode?  Many thanks.

Klao

Very cool looking system Phil!

Thanks for the feedback.  I agree that a pair of these in Mono IS a big step up!

Even though the KWA 150 is built completely dual-mono internally, as though it had two 150W monoblocks inside, there is obviously MORE POWER when using two in bridged mono and even GREATER separation.  More power = well, MORE POWER ;).

Take care,

Dan

modwright

The only thing to consider when running in bridged-mono, is that they see the actual speaker load as 1/2 actual - i.e. a 4 ohm load is seen by a bridged amp as 2 ohms.  Having said this, even in mono, our amps have no problem with a speaker load that dips to 2 ohm.

We found no increase in measured disotrtion in bridged mono.  We specified all power ratings at .05% THD and those are real measured numbers.  Most amp mfrs. spec. max power into 1% distortion!

Thanks,

Dan

DeadFan

Hi Dan.

Can't find info in specs anywhere. Are the KWA 150's 110/240v or are they independantly made for each country. I ask so as to know whether I can take advantage of your Demo unit. I need a 240v version.

Also are the dual box LS 36.5 in 240v.

Regards
Graham

modwright

Hi Graham, the KWA 150 is available in 120V in the U.S., 220V in HK via our HK distributor and 240V via our European distributors.  In short, any of our products can be built for 100V, 120V, 220V or 240V.  Our products are sold through distributors outside of the U.S. and we will not convert a 120V to 220V or 240V for use in another country.  This is to protect our distributors.

Our products are sold in the U.S. via dealers.  We also sell our show demos directly, following shows. Otherwise, all gear is sold through our dealer network.

Our modifications are all sold factory direct.  This is a different division of ModWright, from our own mf'd. products.

Thanks,

Dan W.

DeadFan

Thanks Dan.

Have contacted Australian distributer and have commenced discussion/negotiation.

Regards
Graham

dminches

Is anyone using the KWA-150 with a vandersteens including a speaker level sub?  If so, what crossover frequency are you using with the x-2 or wx-2?  According to the amp specs, the input impedance is 15k at 50 HZ and 23k at 1kHz.  Given that it isn't constant, how would I match the Vandersteen x-2 crossover with the amp?