RM-30

pjchappy

RM-30
« on: 3 Dec 2003, 07:39 am »
Brian, John, whoever. . . let's put all the info for the RM-30 on here. . .

These speakers are in about the price range I will be willing to spend w/in the next 6-months. . .I was just wondering if any of you could post sketches, tech specs, etc. . .

I am really interested in the innovative design I've heard about. . .HEY! It IS past Dec. 2nd. . . let's hear LOTS of info  :D

Thanks!

p

Q

Re: RM-30
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2003, 12:27 pm »
Quote from: pjchappy
Brian, John, whoever. . . let's put all the info for the RM-30 on here. . .

These speakers are in about the price range I will be willing to spend w/in the next 6-months. . .I was just wondering if any of you could post sketches, tech specs, etc. . .

I am really interested in the innovative design I've heard about. . .HEY! It IS past Dec. 2nd. . . let's hear LOTS of info  :D

Thanks!

p

They are probably pulling out all the old recordings, sitting in the RM30's sweet spot, and grinning like monkeys.  Soon they will be wondering how they're gonna get rid of all those old outdated and inferior RM40's!!!

John Casler

RM-30
« Reply #2 on: 4 Dec 2003, 12:13 am »
They are probably pulling out all the old recordings, sitting in the RM30's sweet spot, and grinning like monkeys.

You guys know us too well :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Audio Architect

RM-30
« Reply #3 on: 5 Dec 2003, 11:50 am »
Since the RM-30 uses 3 mid ribbons, instead of the more common even number of drivers, how are they wirred? Also are the tweeters at the top of the cabinet or below one of the mid panels?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
rm30
« Reply #4 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:51 pm »
The RM 30 uses three 2.4 Ohm panels wired in series.  The FST is at the top of the column.  The C version is a true line source, the M series is a slight departure therefrom with its side-firing woofer.

Marbles

RM-30
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:52 pm »
Brian,

Do you have any plans for an "H" (horizontal)  RM30 model?

JoshK

RM-30
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2003, 03:57 pm »
I know you are getting bombarded with questions but I wondered about the C versus M versions.   Will they have the same cabinet size?  Seems like they shouldn't since one doesn't need the volume for the 10" woofer.

AVB

RM-30
« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:08 pm »
OK, where are the pics?  Am I missing something?

wshuff

RM-30
« Reply #8 on: 5 Dec 2003, 04:16 pm »
The RM 30 uses three 2.4 Ohm panels wired in series. The FST is at the top of the column.

Does this mean that the RM30 is using a different mid panel than the other VMPS speakers?

Brian Cheney

rm30
« Reply #9 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:43 pm »
Our mid panel is available in different impedances, from 2.4 to 4.6 Ohms.  We use the appropriate value depending on application.

The Show cabinets arrived yesterday and were Soundcoated.  I expect pix next week.

M and C versions are exactly the same except for the M's sidefiring woofers.  The large cabinet of the C version provides good quality bass flat to 39Hz from the four 6.5" woofers.  The M version should cut off around 28Hz.

JoshK

RM-30
« Reply #10 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:46 pm »
Thanks Big B for taking the time from your hectic schedule I am sure to answer our anxious questions.

wshuff

RM-30
« Reply #11 on: 5 Dec 2003, 05:52 pm »
Are you kidding?  He's been soundcoating and needed a break!  Dirty work.

John Kotches

RM-30
« Reply #12 on: 5 Dec 2003, 09:50 pm »
B,

Thanks for the info... do you take appts at CES? ;)

Cheers,

RickRichardson

Poor man's RM-30C
« Reply #13 on: 6 Dec 2003, 01:26 am »
POOR MAN'S RM-30C

I couldn't wait for it to be created, so I did the only thing I could think of - I used what I had.  

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=147

What have I learned?  

More is better, especially more ribbon mids.  

Dialog is easy to understand and more natural sounding, especially the low midrange.  

My wife is an understanding women, if she can do a little decorating.

I can't wait for the real thing, but where is the tweeter going to be?

Marbles

RM-30
« Reply #14 on: 6 Dec 2003, 01:30 am »
Did you shotgun the cables to the centers, or how did you get the signal to both speakers?

RickRichardson

RM-30
« Reply #15 on: 6 Dec 2003, 02:02 am »
I am using biwire speaker cables from a single channel of my B&K 7 X 200 amp.  It seems to work fine.  I will also try using two separate channes next week.

John Casler

RM-30
« Reply #16 on: 6 Dec 2003, 02:06 am »
Rick,

That is very cool.  I have also used the single 626R as a Center with better results than I expected in a couple set ups.

I found vertical dispersion "tight", but lateral was quite good.

RickRichardson

RM-30
« Reply #17 on: 6 Dec 2003, 06:51 pm »
I tried a single 626R and liked it, but two is way better.  I have the speakers angled down slightly so they target the primary listening locations which are 17' from the TV.  I am also going to try various horizonal angles to see if spreading them a little bit makes any difference.  

Also, these are not shielded, but used on top of the 65" RPTV keeps them far enough away from the focusing mechanism on the bottom so there is no problem of interference.  I did put one of the speakers on the floor infront of the TV for a moment while I was getting ready to put it on top, and it clearly messed up the convergence.  When I moved it away the convergence was back to normal.  

I am assuming that the new RM-30C will be shielded.

What about the location of the tweeter on the new speaker, what will that do to acoustic center image?

JDoyle

RM-30
« Reply #18 on: 8 Dec 2003, 05:57 pm »
Quote from: RickRichardson
I am using biwire speaker cables from a single channel of my B&K 7 X 200 amp.  It seems to work fine.  I will also try using two separate channes next week.

Thank you Brian, the RM-30 is the speaker I've been hoping for!    :D   When do you think you will be shipping your first orders?  

Also Rick, I'm thinking about using the B&K Ref 50/200.7 as well.  Are you happy with the way B&K powers your VMPS set up?

Thanks

Brian Cheney

rm30
« Reply #19 on: 8 Dec 2003, 06:32 pm »
We expect to be able to deliver the RM30 by Jan 30.