Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

AB

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #160 on: 2 Jul 2009, 02:58 pm »
I shall be very suprised if you can improve the performance of the Sony XA5400ES

How will you ever know? Are you planning on auditioning one?

But more importantly, you're saying the Sony is perfect and cannot be improved. Now that would surprise me!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #161 on: 2 Jul 2009, 03:04 pm »
I shall be very suprised if you can improve the performance of the Sony XA5400ES

I thought Dan already politely showed you the door...and you said goodbye and good luck?  If not, let me.  Goodbye.

junchoon

« Reply #162 on: 24 Jul 2009, 05:05 am »
is the mod ready?  thanks.

modwright

« Reply #163 on: 25 Jul 2009, 06:43 pm »
It is very close.  I apologize for the delay.  We have been SWAMPED with amp and preamp orders both domestic and international and I have also been finalizing the deisgn of another product to be released towards the end of the year - more on this when available.  Not a mod and not a digital product.

The mod will be done soon, but I still have not finalized the correct transformer configuration.  Please don't give up on us, I am working EXTREMELY hard right now to get everything done and done WELL.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

AB

« Reply #164 on: 16 Aug 2009, 05:04 pm »
Ok. I was hoping someone else here would ask but I guess I am the least patient. :wink:

So, what's the latest with the Sony?

No hurry...you know, just wondering is all. :green:

tino

« Reply #165 on: 17 Aug 2009, 10:42 am »
Hi, just to put some more fire...
the Vacuum State Electronics mod seems to be already finished.
If you look here:
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/26/260611.html
it is interesting that Allen has fit the new output board below the Sony
digital board, something that you can due only if you don't have tubes.
I'm waiting to see when Dan will produce also a discrete solid state
version of his 5400es mod.
Have a good work!
Tino
http://digilander.libero.it/agostino.manzato/audio/audio.html

modwright

« Reply #166 on: 23 Aug 2009, 06:16 pm »
Hi guys, I am getting close, but am still just slammed.

We do have a SS mod already developed for the Oppo that can also offer fully balanced outputs without signal transformers.

I will let everyone know when our mod is complete.

Thanks!

Dan

AB

« Reply #167 on: 27 Aug 2009, 08:40 pm »
While we are waiting... here are some pics of a new Sony 5400 and its "reveal".

http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu43/ghtoz/XA5400ES-Arrives/?albumview=slideshow

Not my unit just someone who couldn't wait for Dan. :lol:

modwright

« Reply #168 on: 28 Aug 2009, 06:27 pm »
We are so slammed right now that it is unbelievable.  I am doing everything I can to keep up and I am still not done with the 5400ES and I apologize.  We are now inundated with Oppo mods.  I WILL however, finish the 5400ES mod and I am certain that it will be fantastic!

Thanks again for your patience - all of you.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

busterfree

« Reply #169 on: 8 Oct 2009, 07:20 am »
Any plans on doing anything to improve headphone output of Sony player?

modwright

« Reply #170 on: 15 Oct 2009, 07:27 pm »
I hadn't thought about that, but it IS a good idea!

First I need to finalize the main tube mod.  After that, I will see what can be done.

Ideally, a SS buffer circuit to allow feeding of the tube signal to the headphone jack would be ideal and I will see what I can do to make this happen.

I very much appreciate the suggestion!

Sincerely,

Dan W.

DZetye

« Reply #171 on: 18 Nov 2009, 10:51 pm »
Any updates on this mod yet, Dan?  I am interested in this one.

modwright

« Reply #172 on: 28 Nov 2009, 01:52 am »
Hi Guys, sorry for the lack of replies lately.  A LOT going on!

First of all, the MWI production machine is turning out KWA 150's at a good clip.

LS 36.5's are about to be rolling off the line again as the next production run is beginning.

Work on the KWA 100 is being wrapped up in anticipation of the first production run of chassis in the next week or two.

Oppo BDP 83's are rolling off the line, with an admittedly slow start as the addition of balanced mods and a few other things forced me to look closely at things to be sure that we were right on track.

THEN the SE unit becomes available?!  Yes, I have a couple here and our mods are still applicable and I have determined how to adapt our interface to the existing unit to maximize use of the new SABRE DACs.

I have also finally had a chance to return in earnest to the Sony XA5400ES mods and have the transformer configuration and DAC interface details worked out.  I am listening to it right now and it sounds GREAT.  Sorry, but I still have to dial a few things in more tightly and no comparisons to any of our other mods yet.

It IS finally about complete however and I am just trying to get it all done and done WELL!

CES and a new review of the KWA 150 in a major print magazine are right around the corner.

Thanks guys!

Dan

goose

« Reply #173 on: 13 Dec 2009, 04:56 pm »
It will interesting getting a comparison of the this unit to the previous mods.  I currently have the 999ES platinum signature mod and perhaps an upgrade is in the cards?  The only downside of this unit would be ability to connect into a music server type of application.

Dan's new facility looks great and that Jack Russell on his lap looks very content.

Randy G.

solentgreen

« Reply #174 on: 9 Jan 2010, 04:49 pm »
Randy,

As someone who made an upgrade from a 999ES Platinum Signature to a 9100ES Platinum Signature, I would say that an upgrade should probably be on the cards for you.  The improvements from my upgrade was substantial.  I should clarify that my 999ES only had the solid state power supply and my 9100ES had the tube rectified supply which had been upgraded with the latest dual discrete regulation but it seems clear that the XA5400ES is likely to be significantly better than the 999ES.   

tino

« Reply #175 on: 21 Apr 2010, 08:49 am »
Hi guys,
I worked about six months to make the XA5400ES sounding "right" and I have not yet finished.

http://digilander.libero.it/agostino.manzato/audio/DIY/sony_xa5400_mod/sony_xa5400_mod.html

In the link above there is a partial description of what I made. Hope it can be useful also
for the mod that Dan is finalizing.
Sorry if I'll be very slow in answering.
Ciao,
Tino

modwright

« Reply #176 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:58 pm »
Hi Tino, first of all to those reading, we have corresponded in the past and Tino was good enough to share some of his thoughts and desires for a mod and also expressed interest from the beginning, which helped propel me towards pursuing mods for this product.

I then got busy with the Oppo mods which are now complete and in production and I am returning my attention to the Sony mod.

I just wanted to take the opportunity to applaude you Tino, for your EXTREMELY hard work and thorough research!  I know that you had inquired about purchasing our SS mod as a kit for the Sony and I declined because I typically find this to be difficult for both us and the customer wanting to DIY.

I have read through all of the information on your link and I must say that you opened my eyes to a few things, specifically in the area of I-V conversion, which is a tricky one and, as you mention, IS critical.

I really wanted to take my hat off to you for what you have done with your own unit and thank you for sharing the information that your research unearthed.  Before I began MWI as a company, I started out much like yourself, as a hobbyist and shared my findings also.

I owe you one for sharing this information from which I gleaned a few bits that will help us in the finallizing of our mods.

Thanks and drop me a line.

Take care,

Dan W.

shep

« Reply #177 on: 24 Apr 2010, 08:07 am »
It's nice to see a serious and commited diy'er being acknowledged by someone like Dan, who has been there, done that and still does! The diy community, especially on diyaudio.com, is big and thriving and full of innovative, hard-core, hands-on guys who are wonderfully obsessive and dedicated to going places where the music really plays out of the box. As a shameless lurker and one who has profited greatly from this very subject, I just want to do a hats off to all those tireless seekers who advance the cause way beyond what the corperate consumer entities offer. (excepting of course the smaller, truly dedicated companies like ModWright  :thumb:)

modwright

« Reply #178 on: 25 Apr 2010, 05:00 am »
I strongly encourage the DIYer!  It isn't for everyone, but is quite rewarding for those who have the inclination and guts to tear into their first piece of gear.  I found it quite rewarding years ago and found myself dreaming of upgrades to my audio gear while sitting behind a desk as an engineer, bored to tears with my work.

A lot of water has crossed under the bridge for me since then an hence ModWright, but I would never have formed learned what I did, formed my own company or had the tremendous fortune of meeting so many gifted and knowledgeable people in this industry.  Admittedly, much of our designs are proprietary, but I FIRMLY support the sharing of general information and encouraging creativity in this field.

I would like to take my hat off to Nelson Pass for dedicating a whole site to DIY'ers, where his accomplishments speak for themselves, as does his passion.

If we all keep everything we learn to ourselves, then we are all limited.  We ALL can benefit by sharing with each other.  Outside of what I consider proprietary designs, I am always an open book about the mods we do, what we do and our design intents and sonic goals.

Keep the faith and enjoy the music!

Dan

tino

« Reply #179 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:14 am »
Hi Dan,
sorry for the delay. I didn't saw your message before.
First of all,  I would like to make very clear a point. I'm not an expert DIY, nor I have experience on digital audio. I was just highly motivated (and italian low salary helps a lot) to improve what I was feeling as good "base" but that was not a complete satisfaction to me (in particular in the highs), without spending a fortune.
Second, if I would have not found the help of "Mr C", I will never come to such results. Mr C is a *professional* audio eng, working for an Hi-End company and that is why I can't post the complete I/V scheme (which he developed and is his own intellectual property).
Anyway, I found that the contamination between the professional world and the amateur world can be very beneficial for both of them. I know that Mr C has seen the "Jocko-Homo" (thanks to you, if you read this!) circuit on diyaudio.com and I believe that the Jocko-Homo circuit is not so much different from the common base MOSFET I/V used by Nelson Pass in his very old CD D1. So, as you can see, there are good ideas that good people share with others, for the general improvement of many, including those, like me, who can just say that they know how to solder (but not SMD parts!)...
Lastly, I want to remember that also the power supply is very important and prof. Didden put me on the Sjöström foots.
Ciao!
Tino

P.S. that is another argument, but I have recently seen a tube-based I/V, which resembled me the Jocko-Homo (maybe I'm wrong). I can send you the circuit scheme or you can find a modified version of it in this link (in Italian, but circuit schemes are international)!
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/a_d/idee/modifica-marantz-cd46-maurizio-daniele/out%20stage%201.jpg
http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/a_d/idee/modifica-marantz-cd46-maurizio-daniele/modifica-cd-46i.htm
Being famous as a tube-company (but what about the KWA150...) you could be interested in testing it...
Ciao!