Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

tomm

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #120 on: 9 May 2009, 06:13 pm »
"obtain unblemished sound with SS"  ???
We have different grade of electronic components and different design of circuits to make up a piece of equipment.  Do they all sound the same??   You have the true sound in your environment?

wizeazz

« Reply #121 on: 10 May 2009, 01:07 am »
I am in line for a new MW Oppo player.Please let me know when its ready. If its like my MW 999es then life will be good for video as well as my audio.Keep up the good work Dan, and please do not tell me how much better the 5400 will be over my up to date 999es, I gotta eat man!!

modwright

« Reply #122 on: 10 May 2009, 07:08 pm »
To Disbliever, again, while I respect your opinions, I thought that we had left it at:

Good luck and goodbye....

Dan Wright
Forum Moderator.
President, ModWright Instruments Inc.

AB

« Reply #123 on: 12 May 2009, 10:52 pm »
So how goes the new Sony design?

Any news?

Should I start looking for some exotic NOS tubes?

modwright

« Reply #124 on: 13 May 2009, 06:16 pm »
Well, I have both the Oppo and Sony in the house.  I have listened to both with music and watched a few Blue Rays on the Oppo.

The Sony  has better stock sound by a decent margin, as it should for a 3 x cost music-only CDP.

The Oppo has GREAT picture and is a great and flexible unit for all around HT and Music use.  The stock music performance is not bad, but it is not nearly as good as the Transporter and not as good as the Sony stock.  We will change this however ;).

I have measured the room for the tube board in the Sony and it is a bit tight, but will work.  The external supply will be the standard 9.0SE, but the current circuit design of course.  The rectifier will be in the external supply.

I haven't settled on tube choice yet, but am considering 6SN7's for this mod.

More to come soon!

Thanks,

Dan

AB

« Reply #125 on: 13 May 2009, 11:05 pm »
Well, I have both the Oppo and Sony in the house.  I have listened to both with music and watched a few Blue Rays on the Oppo.

The Sony  has better stock sound by a decent margin, as it should for a 3 x cost music-only CDP.

The Oppo has GREAT picture and is a great and flexible unit for all around HT and Music use.  The stock music performance is not bad, but it is not nearly as good as the Transporter and not as good as the Sony stock.  We will change this however ;).

I have measured the room for the tube board in the Sony and it is a bit tight, but will work.  The external supply will be the standard 9.0SE, but the current circuit design of course.  The rectifier will be in the external supply.

I haven't settled on tube choice yet, but am considering 6SN7's for this mod.

More to come soon!

Thanks,

Dan

Cool. 8)

modwright

« Reply #126 on: 21 May 2009, 08:47 pm »
Updates on the mod:

I believe that the design will use 6SN7 tubes and if course external PS will be tube-rectified and designed to allow use of the fabulous EML tube.

I have also decieded to achieve balanced outputs via transformer output coupling, in much the same way as the Transporter. We will be using Lundahl transformers for this purpose.

The circuit that is being used for this mod is also an evolution from our previous player mods and I believe it will be the best sounding CDP mod that we will have produced to date.

The stock unit is very good.  The modified unit will be exceptional before we are done.

Thanks!

Dan W.

talk2me

« Reply #127 on: 23 May 2009, 03:03 am »
I AM listening and am also looking at the new Oppo player that also does blu-ray.  I have considered a SS mod that would replace the op-amps in the Oppo with, ideally, a 6-CH proprietary MWI SS analog stage.  It would be much less costly than the tube mods of course.

I am also willing and interested to do a full-on tube mod for the right blue-ray or other new player, to enhance 2CH music performance, perhaps for a blu-ray player that also doubles as HT front-end.

Thanks and please keep sharing your interest.  I can't pursue any of these projects unless I know that there is sufficient demand.

Sincerely,

Dan W.
Dan, First of all, thank-you for your contribution to the audio world. It is a great pleasure to read your posts. I just recieved a Oppo BDP 83 and am quite impressed with it. I also have a Naim CDX2/XPS2 combo, and would like to sell the Naim and mod the Oppo by you. I miss tubes in my SS system and would welcome a tube mod. What do you think? Or maybe just buy your new pre and power supply combo. :thumb:

Regards,
Jim

modwright

« Reply #128 on: 26 May 2009, 08:09 pm »
Hi Jim and thank you for your kind words of support.

I am expecting to have results and feedback on both mods by next week.  We certainly could offer a tube mod for the Oppo, but it would be closer in price to that of the Sony.

As far as our tube preamp and amp combo, I don't know what you are using right now, but our combination is brilliant sounding.  It will reflect the strength or weaknesses of anything preceding it.

Please feel free to call me to discuss system upgrades further.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

AB

« Reply #129 on: 27 May 2009, 07:20 pm »
I'm in for one of Dan's 5400es players.  aa

I'll have some NOS 6SN7 tubes here soon.  :o

I am now broke. :duh:

mikel51

« Reply #130 on: 28 May 2009, 12:39 am »
I just ordered an oppo.  Please keep us abreast of the mod and let us know when it is "perfected" 

talk2me

« Reply #131 on: 28 May 2009, 02:00 am »
I am new to the modding CD/DVD/BD realm. Does Dan do anything different than The Upgrade Co/Reference Mods/ASi etc...? I know Modwright has gotten great writ-ups, but why?  :thumb:.. Please forgive me as I am a neewbie.

talk2me

« Reply #132 on: 28 May 2009, 02:27 pm »
I will contact Dan also.

modwright

« Reply #133 on: 28 May 2009, 04:42 pm »
I will explain how we approach the modifications end of our business, without disparaging the other companies that you mentioned.

First of all, our modifications include actual re-engineering of existing circuitry and true MODIFICATION of the gear.  We also upgrade key components where we find this to be beneficial.  There is benefit to straight component upgrades, but we found that there is far more significant value in re-engineering circuits, addressing their weaknesses.

Many manufacturers fall back on common and cost-effective design decisions, such as the use of op-amps for analog stage designs.  The DACs used are often state of the art, as are jitter reduction topologies, etc.  We DO often replace the master clock as there is great benefit in doing this.  Power supply designs in stock products range from mediocre to quite good.  Sony and Slim Devices use very GOOD power supply designs.  Sony uses R-Core power transformers, sophisticated voltage regulation circuits and quality Nichicon Muse power supply capacitors.  These all make a difference and are very worthwhile.

In most cases, I find that the analog stages, using op-amps with inherent feedback and electrolytic capacitor coupled outputs, lead to serious sonic limitations.

We are famous for using tubes in lieu of op-amps for the analog stage designs, but we do not limit ourselves to this approach.  The Oppo mod will use discrete SS analog stage circuits with zero global feedback.  This will reduce costs and will be a signfiicant improvement over standard op-amp based designs.  We also provide our own dedicated power supplies for our new analog stage designs, be they SS or tube.

There are some unethical modifiers who are also doing VERY LITTLE, charging exorbinant prices, relative to the work they do and benefit that results, while being very close-lipped about WHAT they have done.  I would caution against working with a modifier who will not at least GENERALLY tell you what they have done.  We don't share our schematics or design secrets either, but we do tell you what you are getting for your investment and you have my word that the performance of the unit will meet or exceed expectations for the given investment, no matter what that price is.

Lastly, look at the customer service and support record of the modifier that you are going to work with.  The internet is a great source of information.  Your behaviors as a businessperson on-line WILL be found out, for better or worse.  We take great pride in offering excellent service long-term for our customers.  I can't say that there are never problems, shipping damage, component failure, etc., but the key is HOW the modifier supports you AFTER the sale!

I respect many of the other modifiers in the market, while others I do not.  I will not name names, but consider what I have said above when shopping for a modifier for your next upgrade.

You may not choose to work with ModWright and I respect that.  I just want to be sure that you are satisfied with your decision of who to work with.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #134 on: 28 May 2009, 04:50 pm »
PM me if you want Modwright customer service stories.  I have about ten of them, all good, all world class.  Most are documented in these forums, but net/net..there is no manufacturer (forget just modders) that reaches out and takes care of issues and/or questions like Dan, John and gang. 

talk2me

« Reply #135 on: 29 May 2009, 04:07 pm »
Thanks Dan and Ted, much appreciated! I can understand more now Dan. Plus, I am in love with your amps and new pre/PS. Do I hear maybe a group buy?

1) Jim Anderson  :thumb:
« Last Edit: 29 May 2009, 10:01 pm by talk2me »

modwright

« Reply #136 on: 30 May 2009, 08:26 pm »
Thank you Ted and all of you who have supported us over the years and continue to do so!  I am humbled and grateful!

We will be shipping amps again as soon as we receive an overdue shipment of On Semi output devices for the amp.  The second production run of 50 units is already in production at the machinists and a portionf of these are already backordered.  We are still finalizing and shipping the last of the first 50-piece run.

While the comment about 'group buy' may have been somewhat 'tongue-in-cheek', I do believe in rewarding those who support us.  Any interested in the KWA 150 and LS 36.5 combo should contact me.

Sincerely,

Dan W.

talk2me

« Reply #137 on: 30 May 2009, 08:50 pm »
Actually, I am dead serious on a group buy for the Oppo mod. I lust over your new amps/pre though. But that will be part of my phase2, as I have to sell my Hegel amp and Chapter Audio pre first (these are great pieces but unknown in the US and to repair and/or customer service is unacceptable).. I love the idea/fact that Dan is here in the USA and it is so much easier to get in contact with him. Customer service is very important to me and I appreciate Dan's input/responses. He seems to be very passionate about the state-of-the-art. Also,  I wish to be a part of the Modwright team sooner than later, thus the group buy for the Oppo mod.. If not then please pm me with prices for mods for myself. We can discuss my source goals and if they are doable and practicable. Sorry for the OT. I forgot this is a Sony thread. :duh:

Phil A

« Reply #138 on: 30 May 2009, 09:16 pm »
Dan,

Quick question with some relation to this thread.  I've been following it (owned a Modwright XA-777ES many moons ago -  with SACD going on life support about 3.5 yrs. back I sold it, still miss it for SACD but only have about 250 SACDs and I probably have not bought on average 10/yr. over the last few years).  At this second, I have an Oppo BDP-83 in the main system along with a Marantz DV9600.  I probably won't have HDMI in the main system pre/pro until early next year and I'll probably be ready to try more things and decide which way I want to go (I have an Oppo 980 in the bedroom system hooked to a Marantz SR6300 which is fine and the bedroom system backs to the main system and probably sometime in the next few weeks I'll hook the HDMI cable I have running through the wall to see how the BDP-83 performs via HDMI.  I also have a Sony 2000ES CD/SACD changer in the basement system).

I was looking at Command AV (I've never been there but they claim to be a Modwright dealer but are no listed on Modwright's site).  Are they a Modwright dealer?  http://www.commandav.com/brands.html

Just want to know so when the mods are finished if I have a legit place to possibly audition them locally.  Thanks, Phil

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #139 on: 1 Jun 2009, 07:29 pm »
Actually, I am dead serious on a group buy for the Oppo mod. I lust over your new amps/pre though. But that will be part of my phase2, as I have to sell my Hegel amp and Chapter Audio pre first (these are great pieces but unknown in the US and to repair and/or customer service is unacceptable).. I love the idea/fact that Dan is here in the USA and it is so much easier to get in contact with him. Customer service is very important to me and I appreciate Dan's input/responses. He seems to be very passionate about the state-of-the-art. Also,  I wish to be a part of the Modwright team sooner than later, thus the group buy for the Oppo mod.. If not then please pm me with prices for mods for myself. We can discuss my source goals and if they are doable and practicable. Sorry for the OT. I forgot this is a Sony thread. :duh:

I've been lurking around for a while. I'm wondering when someone will make a dedicated Oppo thread around here so we can leave these poor Sony folks in peace. I have an Oppo myself and am very intrugied by what's been mentioned thus far. ;)