Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?

modwright

Re: Sony XA5400ES Mods Anyone?
« Reply #140 on: 2 Jun 2009, 08:59 pm »
Hi, first of all, Command AV was a dealer for us, but no longer.  The modifications are all actually sold factory-direct, while our own manufactured MWI products are sold exclusively through dealers.

I believe that starting an Oppo thread is a good idea!  I will do so right now.

Thanks,

Dan

talk2me

« Reply #141 on: 2 Jun 2009, 11:00 pm »

Thanks,

Dan

First big question: modded TP with Oppo BD-83 vs. modded BD-83 OR vs. modded TP with modded Oppo BD-83.  :scratch: :drool:

Eric5676

• Blu Ray Oasis
« Reply #142 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:40 am »
Hi, first of all, Command AV was a dealer for us, but no longer.  The modifications are all actually sold factory-direct, while our own manufactured MWI products are sold exclusively through dealers.

Thanks,

Dan

Still waiting. :D

modwright

« Reply #143 on: 7 Jun 2009, 01:31 am »
First of all, sorry, I will open the Oppo thread right now.  I got distracted last time before I could get it done.

As far as the Transporter and Oppo go, here is my expectation:

1) The Transporter as DAC will be better for 2CH Audio than the Oppo, whether via computer server or conventional transport, including Oppo BD, modified or not.

2) The Oppo will be a lesser cost mod and overall option for those who want to play SACD's, Blue-Ray discs, DVD's and have an all-in-one solution.  It is really not meant to compete with the Transporter simply as a music player.

Thanks,

Dan

MrBrix

« Reply #144 on: 7 Jun 2009, 04:02 pm »
".......

1) The Transporter as DAC will be better for 2CH Audio than the Oppo, whether via computer server or conventional transport, including Oppo BD, modified or not.
......"

Dan

Interesting! A digital connection to a Modwright Platinum modded Transporter from the Oppo (modded or not) for strictly redbook playback is probably the way to go.  Have to play with the Oppo player and see how it sounds compared to running the 2CH analog outs straight to the LS 36.5. 

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #145 on: 7 Jun 2009, 04:28 pm »
".......

......"

Dan

Interesting! A digital connection to a Modwright Platinum modded Transporter from the Oppo (modded or not) for strictly redbook playback is probably the way to go.  Have to play with the Oppo player and see how it sounds compared to running the 2CH analog outs straight to the LS 36.5.

I've been using an Oppo 983H as a trasport on the rare occasion I want to play a disc.  It feeds into the MWTP via BNC/SPDIF using a Stereovox wire.  I have always found it at least on par with the wireless playback of the TP.  It is decidedly superior to the 2ch output on the Oppo, which is very similar, if not identical, to the output on the BD83, as I understand it. 

MrBrix

« Reply #146 on: 7 Jun 2009, 04:35 pm »
I agree with you Marco.  I just connected the Oppo BD player via toslink to the transporter and its definitely sounds far superior.  AB comparisons on the fly between the 2 different connections clearly show the digital connection for redbook to the transporter as the way to go.

talk2me

« Reply #147 on: 7 Jun 2009, 08:13 pm »
Well, it ia pretty well understood that using the MWTP @ $2500 more, as a DAC, is superior for 2 channel audio vs a modded 83. But how much better?

modwright

« Reply #148 on: 8 Jun 2009, 05:20 am »
Here is a link thanks to Digilander - for those who are interested in more information about the player.

http://digilander.libero.it/agostino.manzato/audio/reportage/sony_xa5400es/sony_xa5400es.html

Thanks, the PCBs are here and things are now coming together.

More Soon!

Dan

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #149 on: 8 Jun 2009, 10:34 pm »
Well, it ia pretty well understood that using the MWTP @ $2500 more, as a DAC, is superior for 2 channel audio vs a modded 83. But how much better?

That's an entirely relative call.  I guess it depends what those kind of differences are worth to you personally, just like investing in any of this stuff.  How else could you possibly gauge such a thing? 

I don't know if you were responding to my post here, but to be clear, I was comparing the 2-channel RCA line outputs on the Oppo to the digital output using the Oppo as a transport only trough the BNC/SPDIF input of the MWTP.  I was not using a "modded 83", but a bone stock 983H (RCA outputs are similar if not identical to BD83 stock unit) - I was not aware that the Modwright modded unit was available yet.  My opinion was that the Oppo (as a transport) through the MWTP was "definitively superior."  In my book, that means it was worth the price of admission, just in case that is not clear.  Your book is written by a different author so you may want to consult with them  :wink:

AB

« Reply #150 on: 15 Jun 2009, 08:15 pm »
Ok. What's the latest?

The last I had heard there were boards with parts and an oscilloscope standing by.

Any music produced yet? 

modwright

« Reply #151 on: 16 Jun 2009, 02:50 pm »
Testy testy  :nono:....

I only know you well enough, AB,  to flip you a bit of ___ on this one! :)

I have a 'scope standing by, as well as a fully populated board, mounted to the sony, with signal leads out and last night was comparing the output levels and necessary filtering to design specs.  So far so good.  The I-V stage and gain appear adequate and the operating point of the 6SN7 tube is well withing spec.

The next step now is to wire both channels, make connections to the outputs and hook it up to a preamp.  I believe I will need to add a single analog filter pole, as the tube stage has INCREDIBLE BW and it will take more than the transformers 100K BW to filter out the 'nasties'.

We are very close, but these things take time.

Thanks AB!

Dan

AB

« Reply #152 on: 16 Jun 2009, 06:56 pm »
Testy testy  :nono:....

I only know you well enough, AB,  to flip you a bit of ___ on this one! :)

Testy? Not me. I'm just naturally enthusiastic when it comes to new toys.

That's all great news. Thanks for the update and please, keep them coming. :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #153 on: 17 Jun 2009, 06:06 pm »
The tube board is mounted and we are testing and dialling right now.

Thanks!

Dan

AB

« Reply #154 on: 29 Jun 2009, 04:51 pm »
The tube board is mounted and we are testing and dialling right now.

Thanks!

Dan

The Oppos playing music...

What's the Sony doing?  aa

modwright

« Reply #155 on: 29 Jun 2009, 05:32 pm »
The Sony is waiting for me to revise the output transformer circuit as the first attempt was too noisy.  I just haven't worked out the proper grounding/shielding circuit yet, but I hope to get to it this week.

I have A LOT going on right now and my techs are fully loaded with work on the production side.  These things take time if they are to be right...

Thanks for your patience,

Dan

AB

« Reply #156 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:16 pm »
My Dad would say, "Do you want it right now or do you want it right?"

I'd always reply, " I want it right, now."

:green:

talk2me

« Reply #157 on: 29 Jun 2009, 09:45 pm »
My Dad would say, "Do you want it right now or do you want it right?"

I'd always reply, " I want it right, now."

:green:

LOL. I always said, "I want it right, Dad."  :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #158 on: 30 Jun 2009, 05:27 pm »
'Dad' will make it righ FIRST and THEN you can have it RIGHT NOW! ;).

Thanks for your patience guys.  We are SLAMMED right now!

Take care,

Dan

Disbeliever

« Reply #159 on: 2 Jul 2009, 09:55 am »
I shall be very suprised if you can improve the performance of the Sony XA5400ES