Bryston Music Server

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Bryston Music Server
« on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:11 pm »
Hi All,

Just want some feedback on the possibility of a STEREO Music Server from Bryston.
good idea - bad idea?

james

ChrisBo

Re: Bryston Music Server
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:17 pm »
Def a good idea  :thumb:

AnthonyH

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:31 pm »

Good idea! Would that be single box solution? IE: hard drive/Dac in one.

Perhaps with the ability to have a NAS box as a source so that hard drive space isn't limited.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:38 pm »

Perhaps with the ability to have a NAS box as a source so that hard drive space isn't limited.

I was thinking a computer with a high quality sound card and that would send a digital bitstream to our BDA-1 DAC. The system could be itunes or windows based (using media monkey) and use the itouch as the remote interface?  Also maybe wireless software for Squeezebox etc.

Would have automatic backup as well.

james

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:46 pm »
My uneducated opinion on this is that there does seem to be a market for these devices as evidenced by those who buy the Sonos/Squeezebox (etc., etc.) style systems.

For me personally, as long as one has a DAC or converter that can competently handle USB, a laptop fits the bill.

TONEPUB

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:59 pm »
Bad idea.

Why reinvent the wheel when there are so many good ones already...
But most of them need a better DAC and that's what you guys do
a great job with.

Sell the music servers a good DAC rather than making a not so great
music server.  It's all about the interface and if you don't have a great
one, you aren't going to make a difference.

KeithA

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:11 pm »
Bad idea.

a great job with.

I agree 100%. If I owned Bryston....not where I would want to take it :wink:

Keith

Sasha

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
I must disagree with notion that there are many good music servers already available.
Actually, there is no single decent music server available, if we talk from the performance point of view.
All of them output digital signal with jitter too high to be considered good quality.
As far as those that do conversion internally go, quality is even worse.
Everything on the market presently available could be safely called mid-fi.
Squeezebox is prime example of such gear.
Presently there is no music server that can match the performance of best slaved optical transports.
The only reason for that is the segment of consumers market these products are aimed at, not technology.
Stereo music server could be executed in much better way and certainly reach performance of top optical transports, and with added convenience would be marketable product in my opinion.

John Casler

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2009, 07:55 pm »
Hi All,

Just want some feedback on the possibility of a STEREO Music Server from Bryston.
good idea - bad idea?

james

If it is helpful here is my "wish list" for a media server.  I offered OLIVEs to my clients for a while and became "hooked" on the capabilities.

While it seems that they are used and promoted to a large degree as "wireless" whole house music jukeboxes, I don't see that as the primary goal for Audiophiles.

WISH LIST:

1) A component that sits with all the other components in the system (not on your desk beside your computer)

2) A self contained UNIT that has:

a) CD Player/Burner to replace you present CDP, and allow you to burn Playlists to CD
b) Processor and Capability to perfrom all music media related tasks
c) Wireless and Hardwired Internet capable with the ability to access an NAS or out of rack HD.
d) Internet Radio Capable
e) AD converter to allow you to convert and store any of your analog sources (vinyl, tapes, etc) to the HD.

3) Separate HD box either wireless or wired to allow any storage options

4) The "best" DAC, that would also allow the dac to be used with other sources

5) Screen?  Maybe a small LCD screen for function and operation only, and the output for a larger monitor if the customer wanted.

6) OR, take the Sonos approach and have the screen and a great GUI in the Remote

7) The remote needs to be RF, and as in #6 have a great screen

8) Sources:  While a great media server would would obviously be reading from "a" Hard Drive, I think in reality, it needs to be capable of accepting source or data from:

a) Its onboard CD Player/Burner
b) Its HD
c) Other HD's such as the owners personal computer
d) Analog sources as mentioned above
e) Internet Sources such as Internet radio and downloadable music

9) Software to handle all the above and offer the best options to manage, store, and retrieve media.

10) A user friendly and powerful GUI that is intuitive, attractive, and functional to most every need.

But these are just me.

niels

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:04 pm »
Were you thinking of putting a Bryston name tag on this ? : www.soundsciencecat.com/MusicVault.html

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:07 pm »
Were you thinking of putting a Bryston name tag on this ? : www.soundsciencecat.com/MusicVault.html

Hi Niels,

No - we used the Music Vault into our BDA-1 at CES last week and I have to say I really liked the convenience of a server.

james

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:08 pm »
John
That's what I've been waiting on/looking for.
Mark

Jon L

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:28 pm »

I was thinking a computer with a high quality sound card and that would send a digital bitstream to our BDA-1 DAC.

james

But basically anyone today can set up a computer with a high quality sound card to an outboard DAC, which is what I'm doing currently.  If Bryston does PC audio (and you should), it should be so much more, offering qualities others don't.  These qualities may include:

Ethernet DAC.  Outboard DAC with ethernet input for totally asynchronous, packet-based data transfer.  Or,

Asynchronous USB input.  Currently, looks like only Wavelength Audio has it, but like Ayre, perhaps Bryston can license it. Or,

Soundcard/DAC combo wired for PC to be slaved to DAC's clock, not just "word-clock."  Or,

Make a nice box with BDA-1 board inside, fed by I2S signal from hard drive, skipping spdif.  A small solid-state drive to host the OS and player software only may be a good idea as many claim this sounds better.  A big hard drive can be used for music files, either SATA, eSATA, Firewire, etc. 

*Any one of the above would make it very attractive to many audiophiles hoping to go beyond the "normal" PC audio today, *IF* offered at a reasonable price  :green:

MaxCast

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:35 pm »
Hi All,

good idea - bad idea?

james

If it is helpful here is my "wish list" for a media server.  I offered OLIVEs to my clients for a while and became "hooked" on the capabilities.

While it seems that they are used and promoted to a large degree as "wireless" whole house music jukeboxes, I don't see that as the primary goal for Audiophiles.

WISH LIST:

1) A component that sits with all the other components in the system (not on your desk beside your computer)

2) A self contained UNIT that has:

a) CD Player/Burner to replace you present CDP, and allow you to burn Playlists to CD
b) Processor and Capability to perfrom all music media related tasks
c) Wireless and Hardwired Internet capable with the ability to access an NAS or out of rack HD.
d) Internet Radio Capable
e) AD converter to allow you to convert and store any of your analog sources (vinyl, tapes, etc) to the HD.

3) Separate HD box either wireless or wired to allow any storage options

4) The "best" DAC, that would also allow the dac to be used with other sources

5) Screen?  Maybe a small LCD screen for function and operation only, and the output for a larger monitor if the customer wanted.

6) OR, take the Sonos approach and have the screen and a great GUI in the Remote

7) The remote needs to be RF, and as in #6 have a great screen

8) Sources:  While a great media server would would obviously be reading from "a" Hard Drive, I think in reality, it needs to be capable of accepting source or data from:

a) Its onboard CD Player/Burner
b) Its HD
c) Other HD's such as the owners personal computer
d) Analog sources as mentioned above
e) Internet Sources such as Internet radio and downloadable music

9) Software to handle all the above and offer the best options to manage, store, and retrieve media.

10) A user friendly and powerful GUI that is intuitive, attractive, and functional to most every need.

But these are just me.

That's what I would want...but probably couldn't afford it  :(

Cacophonix

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm »
Great idea.
With the kind of resources and reputation bryston has, a reference music server at a sensible price would be wonderful.

My wishlist :

1. A CD drive with the ability to rip and store music.
2. In built HDD, with SCSI/eSATA ports for expansion
3. HDMI/DVI out to hook up a display.
4. A palm sized touchscreen remote that can also function as a programmable universal remote. Imagine being able to replace all other remotes with this cool one. This would require a cool GUI that makes it easy to access music.
5. Should be able to function as a standalone DAC.

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2009, 03:40 am »
Bad idea.

a great job with.

Keith

I agree with the above.  There are lots of interface devices such as these:

www.digitalconnection.com

or devices that can stream things like Net Streams and a whole bunch of other ones some of which are noted on this thread.  Pronto also makes a wireless USB device that allows one to use a remote and stream stuff.

I believe Linn makes a couple of expensive music servers.  Have heard the more expensive one.  Nothing I would really want at the price point vs. a good stand alone DAC.

I just bought a 500G Western Digital hard drive for $77.77 a couple of weeks back.  I figure I have some digital copies of movies that came with some Blu-Rays and I might as well stick them on something portable.  Western Digital also makes an HD media player for audio and video stuff.  I actually have a rain check from Best Buy as they were on sale a couple of weeks back and for $99.99 (it has HDMI, composite video, analog audio and a toslink out and interfaces via USB with the hard drive) and I'll probably pick one up when they come it.  I'm putting Windows Media Lossless files for my Zune on the hard drive and I figured it's hard to go wrong at that price point.

I guess if someone wanted that type of device they would want a really good GUI or touch screen device so they could search through their music easily.  I have not heard the Olive servers.  I've heard complaints about them vs. the Cambridge (which I guess has a video output) and the ability to easily navigate.  I have not seen a demo of Escient's products either.  I guess if someone was to pay for a premium product of that nature they would want a really good interface besides just the sound quality. 

The question is also how long physical media will be us in a mainstream way in a similar manner as today?  10-15 years?  So I'd guess one would want a device that could also interface with the formats of online streaming too.  I don't know.  It's something that I personally could never see buying.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2009, 08:33 pm »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the input everyone- much appreciated.

It seems like there are really two levels of user here.

1. Those that want a simple straight forward convenient plug and play server and like the itunes/apple approach with CD quality resolution

2.The more sophisticated listener that wants a HighDef version with 192/24 capability.

Thanks again - I have learned a lot.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #17 on: 23 Jan 2009, 02:08 am »
Bad idea.

a great job with.

Keith

I agree with the above.  There are lots of interface devices such as these:

www.digitalconnection.com

or devices that can stream things like Net Streams and a whole bunch of other ones some of which are noted on this thread.  Pronto also makes a wireless USB device that allows one to use a remote and stream stuff.

I believe Linn makes a couple of expensive music servers.  Have heard the more expensive one.  Nothing I would really want at the price point vs. a good stand alone DAC.

I just bought a 500G Western Digital hard drive for $77.77 a couple of weeks back.  I figure I have some digital copies of movies that came with some Blu-Rays and I might as well stick them on something portable.  Western Digital also makes an HD media player for audio and video stuff.  I actually have a rain check from Best Buy as they were on sale a couple of weeks back and for $99.99 (it has HDMI, composite video, analog audio and a toslink out and interfaces via USB with the hard drive) and I'll probably pick one up when they come it.  I'm putting Windows Media Lossless files for my Zune on the hard drive and I figured it's hard to go wrong at that price point.

I guess if someone wanted that type of device they would want a really good GUI or touch screen device so they could search through their music easily.  I have not heard the Olive servers.  I've heard complaints about them vs. the Cambridge (which I guess has a video output) and the ability to easily navigate.  I have not seen a demo of Escient's products either.  I guess if someone was to pay for a premium product of that nature they would want a really good interface besides just the sound quality. 

The question is also how long physical media will be us in a mainstream way in a similar manner as today?  10-15 years?  So I'd guess one would want a device that could also interface with the formats of online streaming too.  I don't know.  It's something that I personally could never see buying.

hi, Phil!

you are using wave to store your audio on your WD hard disk, correct? if so, did you notice any dropouts while playing? that's what happens to my files from time to time. i am using wave too and my hdd is a toshiba 1000 gb.

al.

Phil A

« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2009, 04:07 am »
Al, I have stuff being recorded in the Zune software in Windows Media Audio (WMA) lossless.  It makes it very easy to transfer to the Zune that way.  I picked up my Western Digital HD media player (very small - perhaps 3.5x5 inches I'd guess with 2 USB inputs, an HDMI out, a composite video out, analog audio out and a toslink out) tonight I had the rain check on for $99.99 and it may be a few weeks before I get to really play with it (getting whatever music I want in the meantime on the hard drive (it's a 500G Western Digital I picked up at Target a few weeks back for $77.77 - the My Book series).  I've actually only played part of a few songs on the hard drive.  I've have not played stuff on the computer much but have not noticed any drop-outs with WMA lossless.  I also threw a couple of digital movie copies that came with Blu-Ray discs on the hard drive.

With the digital movie copies I had, I figured I'd rather have them on a portable drive and I also thought it would be convenient to store my Zune library and when I saw the reasonable hard drive and the media player device I figured its worthwhile as an introduction.  Once I get all the music I want on the hard drive, I may keep in in the main system which interconnects to the bedroom system on the other side of the wall and the bedroom system feeds multiple places via a speaker switcher.

mcgsxr

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jan 2009, 04:15 am »
This type of convergence would be well served to include an upgrade path for storage.  A standard interface internally, so you could swap out larger harddrives in time would be a good path.  Perhaps the onboard ability to mirror onto 2 drives would be a good idea, and would mesh well with the Bryston brand being known for being built for long term reliability. 

Bring the well known engineering capabilities of Bryston to bear on the robust design and well thought out execution of the device, and it will perfectly fit with your brand excellence too.