advice on coffee makers

finsup

Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #120 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:06 pm »
....you need to lay out some bucks on both an espresso machine AND a burr grinder that can give you a consistent, fine grind (and no, not any burr grinder or any ole espresso maker will do).

Recommendations?

roscoeiii

« Reply #121 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:25 pm »
I went with a Gaggia Coffee, which I found refurbished (many online espresso stores will have a refurb/reconditioned outlet with nice discounts). This model was their cheapest one they offered with a metal body (which I wanted for durability's sake). At the point I bought mine, the Gaggia machines up and down their line had pretty much identical internals. I don't know if that is still the case as models have changed in the past few years. Gaggia has a great reputation, and mine has been trouble free after 3+ years of heavy daily use in my home.

Grinderwise, I love my KitchenAid ProLine grinder. The black ones are going for a very good price at present. For example on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-ProLine-Coffee-Grinder-Black/dp/B000TM6MY2/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

My girlfriend also has a Capresso Infinity Grinder, which I also quite liked and is closer to $100.

The reasons I went with the Proline:

1) greater adjustability of grind. Can do everything from espresso to french press. Many espresso grinders do not get as course as I'd like for French Press.
2) the glass containers. Yes, at risk for breaking. But they don't suffer from the static of a plastic bin, nor does the glass discolor to espresso brown over time.
3) and yeah, the looks too.

Hope this helps.You may also find the many reviews at CoffeeGeek and elsewhere helpful. They certainly helped me in my search, though I've noticed that the CoffeeGeek site hadn't had as many updates or recent reviews last I popped in over there...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #122 on: 8 Aug 2010, 07:50 pm »
Yes, that KitchenAid proline grinder is bad@ss.  I have one and it's the single best investment I've made as far as coffee equipment goes. 

finsup

« Reply #123 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:01 pm »
Well, my wife bought a Starbucks Via Venzia model for herself a few years ago and until that machine craps out, there will be no new expresso machines in this house.  Have to save a few bucks for a new pre-pro anyway.

But, thanks for the tip on the grinder.  Looks like her Christmas stocking stuffer is in the bag (so to speak). 

roscoeiii

« Reply #124 on: 8 Aug 2010, 08:12 pm »
And I just noticed that you can get a NEW Kitchenaid grinder for $159 with FREE SHIPPING from here on eBay (it was listed as a "mill" rather than "grinder"...):

http://cgi.ebay.com/KitchenAid-Pro-Line-Series-Onyx-Black-Burr-Coffee-Mill-/230507916315?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US

And free shipping is good, because the ginder ain't lightweight.

Think that is better than the price I got on a refurbed one.

CSI

« Reply #125 on: 9 Aug 2010, 05:14 pm »
Tried the Aeropress for the first time this weekend and was very impressed. A very rich and tasty brew.

Lacked the crema of my Gaggia espresso machine (a treasure for me), but otherwise fantastic. To get that perfect espresso pour (a.k.a. the "God shot"), you need to lay out some bucks on both an espresso machine AND a burr grinder that can give you a consistent, fine grind (and no, not any burr grinder or any ole espresso maker will do).

I've been using my Aeropress for about a month now (thanks to reviews and recommendations on this forum) and really like it. Now I need some coffee advice. I've found Starbucks house blend to be tasty. Trader Joe's Dark not so much (but it is really cheap!). I grind my own beans but will not get into roasting. I'd like to find something in the "bargain" category since the Aeropress does use a bit more coffee, but maybe you just get what you pay for. Any ideas?

Thanks!

srb

« Reply #126 on: 9 Aug 2010, 05:29 pm »
I've been using my Aeropress for about a month now (thanks to reviews and recommendations on this forum) and really like it. Now I need some coffee advice. I've found Starbucks house blend to be tasty. Trader Joe's Dark not so much (but it is really cheap!). I grind my own beans but will not get into roasting. I'd like to find something in the "bargain" category since the Aeropress does use a bit more coffee, but maybe you just get what you pay for. Any ideas?

Are you getting your Starbucks House Blend from Starbucks?  If you are a Costco member or know someone who is, you can get the Starbucks/Kirkland House Blend for $10 for a 2 pound bag.  They have some other whole beans that are cheaper (3 lbs for $10), but I prefer the Starbucks.

Steve
« Last Edit: 9 Aug 2010, 06:34 pm by srb »

lcrim

« Reply #127 on: 9 Aug 2010, 05:39 pm »
I also looked for bargains in coffee beans after getting an Aeropress.  Turned out that this place http://www.coffeebeandirect.com/ is about a 20 minute drive.  Great quality, reasonable prices.  Buy 25 lbs or more, they ship for free.  I've been getting 5lb bags about every 3 mos  or so.
So far I can recommend the Dark Roast Brazilian Santos: $6.10-$6.35/lb, Dark Sumatra: $6.40-$6.65/lb and my present favorite, Dark Celebes (Sulawesi) Kalossi: $6.70-$6.95/lb
All these are full flavored, low acidity brews.
No affiliation but I am a satisfied customer.

CSI

« Reply #128 on: 9 Aug 2010, 06:31 pm »
Thanks Steve and Icrim,

Not a Costco member but can tag along with the neighbors. Will also definitely give coffeebeandirect a try.

Cheers,

Bill

bummrush

« Reply #129 on: 9 Aug 2010, 07:15 pm »
 Hard to come across but check ebay for the discontinued Bodum Santos, not the glass ones,i havent found a better one anywhere,and i've tried about every one made,do the tweek as people have said to get proper brew time and you get the best of french press with NO sendiment,the best of Krups moka brew ,the best of a plain old drip coffee maker doesnt even come close to the coffee the santos makes,if you can get one for around 100 its a pot you will never regret.  Otherwise Capresso might be my second choice.Look up you tube for a video

CSI

« Reply #130 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:21 pm »
FYI coffee fans:

Having upgraded my coffee maker I've been in the market for a reasonably priced Burr Grinder. Just order a Cuisinart DBM-8 from Amazon. Has good reviews and is on sale for $37 marked down from $90.

jackman

« Reply #131 on: 14 Sep 2010, 09:51 pm »
Cool coffee maker video....I give it a 98%...because I like the music... :jester:

http://vimeo.com/6161817

My favorite coffee!  Great video and great way to brew coffee.  Thanks.

srb

« Reply #132 on: 14 Sep 2010, 10:19 pm »
Just order a Cuisinart DBM-8 from Amazon. Has good reviews and is on sale for $37 marked down from $90.

That seems to be the best price around, though the $90 price is a bit optimistic, as it sells for $43 at Newegg, and $50 at Home Depot and Bed Bath & Beyond.

Let us know how you like it.  I have three Cuisinart small appliances from Costco (blender, toaster and toaster oven) that I bought because of the low price, but all three left me wondering about Cuisinart.

Steve

CSI

« Reply #133 on: 15 Sep 2010, 12:33 am »
They threw in free shipping and I used up a bunch of credits so was almost no $ out of pocket. Nonetheless, I'm either going to have to give up this hobby or spring for a Costco card.

I'll report back on the Cuisinart after a few weeks operation.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #134 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:56 am »

Thanks!

Please dear sir, you must avail yourself of something that tastes like coffee, which is not Starbucks or Trader Joe's.  At the end will be some links to some great online coffee roasters.  Note that they will generally roast to a much lighter profile than you are used to with Starbucks, who burn their beans well past the second crack, leaving nothing but wood and caramel in the cup.  So you will have to grind a touch finer, or use a bit more grounds to reach a full flavor. 

Coffee should be a sweet, delicate, graceful drink.  One with hints of fruit and floral, a touch of citrus in the initial palate, finishing with perhaps a bit of chocolate in the mouth feel.  If you are not tasting this, you need to change your beans or your brewing, most probably the first.  So give these roasters a try:
www.paradiseroasters.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.sacredgroundscoffee.com
www.barefootcoffeeroasters.com
www.flyinggoatcoffee.com

These folks use an air roasting process not to my taste, but they take pride and care in their product:
www.theroasterie.com

For a nice cup at a little lower price point:
www.greenmountaincoffee.com

You'll never go back to Starbucks again, except for a Coffee Mocha Venti double shot, I do like their desert offerings.

I went with a Gaggia Coffee,

Grinderwise, I love my KitchenAid ProLine grinder.

Bravo! I have both of these units, excellent choice.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #135 on: 15 Sep 2010, 05:53 am »

Coffee should be a sweet, delicate, graceful drink.  One with hints of fruit and floral, a touch of citrus in the initial palate, finishing with perhaps a bit of chocolate in the mouth feel.  If you are not tasting this, you need to change your beans or your brewing, most probably the first. 

I agree completely, which is why overroasting is such a crime, IMHO.  That is why I'll add  http://www.kingdavidcoffee.com/
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2010, 12:07 pm by Ronm1 »

CSI

« Reply #136 on: 15 Sep 2010, 06:24 am »
Please dear sir, you must avail yourself of something that tastes like coffee, which is not Starbucks or Trader Joe's.  At the end will be some links to some great online coffee roasters.  Note that they will generally roast to a much lighter profile than you are used to with Starbucks, who burn their beans well past the second crack, leaving nothing but wood and caramel in the cup.  So you will have to grind a touch finer, or use a bit more grounds to reach a full flavor. 

Coffee should be a sweet, delicate, graceful drink.  One with hints of fruit and floral, a touch of citrus in the initial palate, finishing with perhaps a bit of chocolate in the mouth feel.  If you are not tasting this, you need to change your beans or your brewing, most probably the first.  So give these roasters a try:
www.paradiseroasters.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.sacredgroundscoffee.com
www.barefootcoffeeroasters.com
www.flyinggoatcoffee.com

These folks use an air roasting process not to my taste, but they take pride and care in their product:
www.theroasterie.com

For a nice cup at a little lower price point:
www.greenmountaincoffee.com

You'll never go back to Starbucks again, except for a Coffee Mocha Venti double shot, I do like their desert offerings.

Bravo! I have both of these units, excellent choice.

Thanks for the input. I have already abandoned Starbucks for Peet's Major Dickenson's blend. I didn't say Trader Joe's was good, just cheap (like their wine). But when something much better can be had for just a bit more money, that's where I want to go. I promise to sample the fine beans from your suggested vendors over the next few months as I continue my quest (and coffee education).

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #137 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:07 pm »
Peet's is better, but I don't prefer the dark roasted profile so many west coast roasters espouse.  Not to say dark roasting can't be good, I have a local roaster that does it very well, Talk 'n Coffee in Depford, NJ does this quite nicely, but in general light to medium roasting is the most desirable profile. 

bummrush

« Reply #138 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:31 pm »
 Check out Northwestern Coffee Mill.outstanding coffee,done their own way for many years.Also sell about any spice you could want.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #139 on: 16 Sep 2010, 01:14 pm »
I drink a lot of coffee, but I wouldn't go so far to say that I am a connoisseur -- though I can appreciate and enjoy fine coffees.  I have been using a Hamilton Beach Brewmaster for the last couple of years.  I liked that coffeemaker since it doesn't use a carafe and has about a 10 cup capacity.  The downside to it is that it is very difficult to keep clean.

I decided that it was time for a change and am making the move to a single cup brewer.  I really labored over which one to buy but eventually I settled on the Cuisinart SS-700, which uses the Keurig K-Cup system.  Nearly all of these single serving machines have mixed owner reviews and that is why it took me several days to settle on which one to buy.  Perhaps the smart money would have been to not buy one at all, and I hope that I don't regret the purchase.  But I am cautiously optimistic.  The main reasons I bought the Cuisinart brewer were the larger than average water reservior and the 3-year warranty.

The machine and about 100 K-Cups of coffee will be at my door tomorrow.

--Jerome