advice on coffee makers

Christof

Re: advice on coffee makers
« Reply #100 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:04 pm »
Recently got the Aeropress.  Love it...although it does used more beans.  Even though I get my beans direct from a farmer in Hawaii at a great price, it is a noticeable increase in overall cost.

So I'm thinking about trying a home roaster, and was leaning towards the Nesco.  Now am thinking more along the lines of the Behmor.

I went through two Nesco roasters before giving up and switching to a Behmor 1600...the drive mechanism kept failing on the Nesco which presents a serious fire hazard.  The Nesco roasters are junk, IMO.  The Behmor is a much nicer machine.

Jason Brent

« Reply #101 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:06 pm »
I went through two Nesco roasters before giving up and switching to a Behmor 1600...the drive mechanism kept failing on the Nesco which presents a serious fire hazard.  The Nesco roasters are junk, IMO.  The Behmor is a much nicer machine.

Thanks!  How's the smoke on the Behmor? 

Christof

« Reply #102 on: 28 Jan 2010, 07:12 pm »

Smells my loft up but there is no visible smoke....I was very surprised.

mikef

« Reply #103 on: 28 Jan 2010, 10:56 pm »
I also have the Behmor, which I really like. As long as you maintain it according to the directions (run it empty after every 5 roasts), it works great, with no smoke. I roast a pound or more a week, and have had no problems in 18 months of use. In fact, I'm roasting some El Salvador beans as I type this, and the house is smelling great...

Mike Fox

gerald porzio

« Reply #104 on: 28 Jan 2010, 11:58 pm »
All ya gotta do now is buy & milk the cow & Voila - coffee is served.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #105 on: 22 Feb 2010, 01:48 am »

The home coffee roaster's motto is "Brave the Smoke"

http://www.sweetmarias.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6517-L&Category_Code=Misc_Coffee_Stuff

Visible smoke is not good   :flame:  it means usually the beans are roasting too fast and too far. If you have a smoke detector in or near the kitchen you can set it off with normal roasting very easily! When I smell the smoke my beans are usually done, with the lighter roasts I like.

I guess in certain atmosheric/temperature/humidity conditions you could see smoke, but I rarely see it, just smell it.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #106 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:42 pm »
Cool coffee maker video....I give it a 98%...because I like the music... :jester:

http://vimeo.com/6161817

PhilNYC

« Reply #107 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:25 pm »
On a related topic, Blue Bottle Coffee has opened a location in Brooklyn:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/03/dining/03coffee.html?scp=1&sq=blue%20bottle&st=cse

I've been to their coffee bar in San Francisco, and I will tell you that it was the best coffee experience I've ever had by far.  Depth, sophistication...made me think that their coffee was on-par with a great red wine tasting.  Am anxious to try the new Brooklyn location...

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #108 on: 19 Mar 2010, 01:45 pm »
I buy beans already roasted from Coffee Fool, usually Brazilian Santos, grind it in a cheapo Hamilton Beach grinder, and brew it in a Mr. Coffee machine.
The results are wonderful, better than any coffee shop within 50 miles, and I think the key lies in using unbleached filters. Try that. It doesn't require a ritual and probably only adds a penny a pot. Makes a huge difference in taste.

ctviggen

« Reply #109 on: 19 Mar 2010, 02:14 pm »
I buy beans already roasted from Coffee Fool, usually Brazilian Santos, grind it in a cheapo Hamilton Beach grinder, and brew it in a Mr. Coffee machine.
The results are wonderful, better than any coffee shop within 50 miles, and I think the key lies in using unbleached filters. Try that. It doesn't require a ritual and probably only adds a penny a pot. Makes a huge difference in taste.

I use unbleached filters in my coffee pot style coffee maker and bleached filters in my Aeropress, and the coffee from the Aeropress is much, much better than is the coffee from the coffee maker. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #110 on: 19 Mar 2010, 03:09 pm »
Personal preference. You like a bleach flavor in your coffee and I don't. Nobody's wrong - yet. That bleachiness may have consequences. OTOH, I've never heard of anyone being diagnosed with bleach deficiency. Does that happen?

The bleached filters do provide the traditional roadside diner/truckstop flavor that my method fails to deliver.

finsup

« Reply #111 on: 26 Jun 2010, 09:08 pm »
For those of you who purchased the Aerobie in 2009 or earlier, are you still using it?  Also, are you usually the type who just makes one cup at a time?  If you need to make more than one, do you still use the Aerobie or do you have a back-up for those occasions?

For those of you who purchased the Technivorm Moccamaster Thermal more than a year ago, have you had any reliability issues?  One can read reviews where people either love this machine or find it messy and not very sturdy.  For nearly $300 bucks retail, one would hope that a coffee maker at this price point would have better QC than appears to be the case in several reviews. 

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2010, 07:42 pm by finsup »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #112 on: 26 Jun 2010, 11:52 pm »
I've been using my Aeropress for about 3 years.  Mainly for one or 2 cups at a time.  But, I enjoy the process of making things, so doing more than 2 cups at a time is no issue for me.

Bemopti123

« Reply #113 on: 27 Jun 2010, 12:56 am »
I am the proud owner of a Technivorm Moccamaster more than 1 year ago.  It is a tank and it has yet to fail me.  I do not know what really can go wrong with it....the coffee it brews really makes every cup of coffee I taste outside of my house, really second class. 

Of course, me roasting my boat load of green coffee beans from Sweetmarias weekly, also helps. 

finsup

« Reply #114 on: 27 Jun 2010, 07:49 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  I only brew coffee on the weekends but then it is usually for three people and I usually like two cups for myself so that is around 5 cups on Sat and Sun.

How can one go wrong with the price on the Aerobie, though?  Especially based on the comments here.  Seems like if I went with the Technivorm I could just buy the Aerobie anyway and use one or the other depending on the mood, I suppose.

And to read that the Technivorm makes other coffees tasted outside the home second class, well, very tempting to try....

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #115 on: 27 Jun 2010, 10:02 pm »
Or, you could buy 2 Aeropresses and make coffee twice as fast :P

bacobits1

« Reply #116 on: 28 Jun 2010, 12:26 am »
I also bought a Technivorm Moccamaster about a year ago.
I got sick of buying a coffee maker every 2 years.
This is built to last. Not cheap $$$.
They have a new one out now with a glass carafe and a heating platform.

D

Bemopti123

« Reply #117 on: 28 Jun 2010, 04:06 am »
I also bought a Technivorm Moccamaster about a year ago.
I got sick of buying a coffee maker every 2 years.
This is built to last. Not cheap $$$.
They have a new one out now with a glass carafe and a heating platform.

D

I truly recommend the unit that does not have the heating platform.  If you follow the instruction of warming up the empty carafe with a first batch of clear water, the coffee that is percolated will be VERY hot for several hours at the expense of making the coffee taste burned as well as smelling up the entire kitchen with the typical smell of overdone or evaporated coffee.  It is desperation that makes people drink simmered down joe, at least that is MY TAKE on why we should consume such thing.   :thumb:

finsup

« Reply #118 on: 8 Aug 2010, 06:22 pm »
I ordered the Aerobie Aeropress today.  I put the Technivorm Moccamaster on my Christmas wish list.  I'll probably end up taking the Aerobie to work if I get the Technivorm.

roscoeiii

« Reply #119 on: 8 Aug 2010, 06:52 pm »
Tried the Aeropress for the first time this weekend and was very impressed. A very rich and tasty brew.

Lacked the crema of my Gaggia espresso machine (a treasure for me), but otherwise fantastic. To get that perfect espresso pour (a.k.a. the "God shot"), you need to lay out some bucks on both an espresso machine AND a burr grinder that can give you a consistent, fine grind (and no, not any burr grinder or any ole espresso maker will do).